toldailytopic: What is the main reason(s) you accept, or reject, God that exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is my eye witness testimony to my own parting of the waters in the pool at my apartment complex evidence? If my girlfriend came on here and said it happened, would that be proof enough?
Proof? No. Evidence, yes!

See how easy it is to actually answer a question?

Now lets see if you can do likewise....

Are you asserting that eye witness testimony is not evidence?

A Yes or No, should be the first word in your answer.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I believe in God for the one reason that sustains and convinces a man, He called me. I knew the voice of my master and the matter was settled. I have not been spared hardship as a result of this or granted wishes or given super powers, but I have grace and the assurance of God in my salvation and His love and I would not trade it for any number of signs or wonders or take the best of my former life for the worst of my present state. :e4e:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think he did it, does that mean he did it?
Well, well, well.... look what just fell off the fruit truck. Sometimes it's kinda sad when these things spill out into the open like this. Persephone66 I hate to break this to you but you don't know the difference between proof, and evidence.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Proof? No. Evidence, yes!

See how easy it is to actually answer a question?

Now lets see if you can do likewise....

Looks like you are playing the same word games with me that you don't like Granite and allsmiles playing with you.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Well, well, well.... look what just fell off the fruit truck. Sometimes it's kinda sad when these things spill out into the open like this. Persephone66 I hate to break this to you but you don't know the difference between proof, and evidence.

How does that make me not know the difference between proof and evidence? He was found innocent.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I answered your question, you didn't like my answer.
No, you didn't. Instead of giving an answer you asked another question, you can't answer a question with a question. Unlike you, I directly answered your question, please do the same for me.

Thunder's Muse

Everything changed for me when I realised, with so much evil in the world, there had to be something equally good, to balance it out. Otherwise, what's the point?

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
No, you didn't. Instead of giving an answer you asked another question, you can't answer a question with a question. Unlike you, I directly answered your question, please do the same for me.

What you are missing here is that it depends on the case being presented. That's what I have been trying to say. It's not as simple as yes and no. It also depends on the source.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What you are missing here is that it depends on the case being presented. That's what I have been trying to say. It's not as simple as yes and no. It also depends on the source.
So... are you saying that evidence is only evidence if you trust the source?

MrRadish

So... are you saying that evidence is only evidence if you trust the source?

I don't want to talk on Persephone's behalf, but my own problem with the claim that supposed eyewitness testimony is evidence for God is that the eyewitnesses, even if their accounts are true, have no apparent tangible way of knowing that God caused what they saw. For example, the apostles talk about Jesus' walking on water. That's evidence (though by no means very strong or compelling evidence, rather like you might not be particularly convinced by me telling you that in the UK the sky looks green) that they saw someone walk on water. As to the cause, they could only possibly offer speculation or opinion.

If you allow the supernatural as a possibility, there are a myriad of myriad different potential explanations for a guy walking on water. The Judeo-Christian God as described in the Bible being the father of the man in question is only one among an unlimited number of other possible scenarios, that all seem equally likely to the one I've just mentioned. Another person's opinion isn't really evidence in the way that a factual or supposedly factual account is.

Sorry for cutting across the debate, just offering my ha'pen'orth. :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't want to talk on Persephone's behalf, but my own problem with the claim that supposed eyewitness testimony is evidence for God is that the eyewitnesses, even if their accounts are true, have no apparent tangible way of knowing that God caused what they saw.
That isn't the point.

And your reading waaaay too much into the question at this point. At this point we are merely trying to figure out what Persephone66 considers evidence.

Admittedly his/her obfuscation makes that fact tough to determine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.