toldailytopic: Who has influenced your theology? Who do you respect and why? Where do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selaphiel

Paul Tillich
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Rudolf Bultmann
Jürgen Moltmann
Friedrich Schleiermacher
Martin Luther King
Tony Campolo (not really a theologian, but I enjoy his thoughts)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My theological influencers:

Turretin
Bavinck
Augustine
Calvin
Luther
A. A. Hodge
Vos
Dabney
Murray
Clark
Hoeksema
Gill
Rushdooney
Van Til

...oh, all right, Aquinas, too! ;)

AMR

Last edited:

Son of Jack

Ah, after reading a few others' posts, I'd add Wesley, Bonhoeffer, Martin Luther King (Letter from a Birmingham Jail was tremendous...you can find it online, I think).

I'd also add my philosophy teacher Bruce Little.

Alate_One

C.S. Lewis (duh) ;)
J. I. Packer
A.W. Tozer
Denis Lamoureux- though I don't agree with him on every issue.
My old pastor, Kimber Kaufman probably had the most influence during my formative years though I likely have some differences with him now.

Last edited:

M. K. Nawojski

At TOL: Jim Hilston, Pam Baldwin, SaultoPaul, Chickenman, Voltaire, JohnW, Nang, and Firon.

Outside TOL: Leonard Nawojski (who always keeps that blessed Hope before my eyes), E. W. Bullinger, John Gill, John Calvin, Jonathan Edwards, Martin Luther, A. W. Pink, John Bunyan, Dave Rodabaugh, Steve Rodabaugh, and Bob Walsh.

I thank God for all my fellow saints who have helped me along the way.

MK

Hosea

The biggest influences on my theology have been Joachim Jeremias and C. S. Lewis.

Other's include (not an exaustive list but off the top of my head)
J.I. Packer
John Stott
A. W. Tozer
Gordon Fee
John Piper
Augustine
Clement
Ignatius
William Craig Lane

Four O'Clock

Two 19th century men of God not yet mentioned who have influenced me greatly:

George MacDonald (a mentor of sorts to C.S. Lewis)
Andrew Murray (solid Christian teaching)

Scottish boys :D

"Ask Mr. Religion" mentioned Murray, my humble apology. :>}

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Who has influenced your theology? Who do you respect and why?
Where do you differ with them if at all?

Among writers and speakers these are ones I have read the most of. Over the years I have gleaned from these listed here, what it is to be patient and kind, and with a loving attitude exhort others with help, hope, and comfort.
  • Robert Murray McCheyne
  • Charles H. Spurgeon
  • D. L. Moody
  • Reuben Torrey
  • D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
  • G. Campbell Morgan
  • Keith L. Brooks
  • Reuben "Uncle Buddy" Robinson
  • Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • John R. W. Stott
  • Charles R. Swindoll
  • Phillip Keller
  • Phillip Gulley
  • Archie H. Yetter
  • Lloyd John Ogilvie
  • Myer Pearlman
  • Aimee Semple McPherson
  • Fred Ellis, pastor and teacher, not a writer, my brother and one-on-one mentor
Those here at TOL. Differences? There may be some differences, but they are small ones.

I have benefited from the scriptural understanding and clear explanation. From my willingness to listen and pay attention, I have learned from their truthfulness, honesty, and their love for Jesus, the scriptures, and the fellowship. This is the short list.

• Ask Mr. Religion
  • assuranceagent
  • Bob Hill
  • CabinetMaker
  • chickenman
  • Knight
  • Town Heretic
  • cattyfan
  • ebenz47037
  • Poly
Of course my godly mother was first and great influence.​

Last edited:

Adoration

For the record,

Despite his claims, Scott Hahn was ordained by two ruling elders of a small theonomic congregation which has dissolved and no presbytery was involved. He was never an ordained pastor in the OPC or the PCA, nor any of the so-called micro-denominations of Presbyterianism. It was just within that one small congregation where he was thus recognized as ordained. Anyone claiming Presbyterian ordination would have to show presbytery examination and subsequent assent and then entry on the rolls, which Hahn has none. Bottom line, Presbyterians are not congregationalists and there is more to claiming Presbyterian ordination than the laying on of hands of two elders. He is free to claim ordained ministership, but not Presbyterian ordination.

That said, no one can dispute his fine academic credentials. ;)

AMR

I've heard this complaint before. Still, he was the pastor of a Presbyterian Church and a staunch Calvinist at one point.

I think it is accurate to call him a former Presbyterian pastor.

Jackson

To expound on what I posted previously Jesus was the most influential in my life when I finally read the bible for myself.

But to make a more complete list here,

Spurgeon
Moody
George Eldon Ladd
John Wimber
Derek Morphew
Don Williams -Not the country singer
Greg Stier- not really a theologeon but influenced my youth ministry phylosophy
Matt Redman
Gary Best
J.P. Moreland

On TOL,
Knight
Turbo
Sozo- in all forms :chuckle:
Nanonator
God Rulz
Cracked
The Muz
and others...

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
On TOL:
Sozo
Bob Enyart
Chickenman
and all the other MAD, OV, YEC, Theonomy and Activist people have had some influence, certainly, as well. Of course, I was already YEC when I joined, and anti-abortion, anti-homosexual legalization and pro death penalty. I just wasn't as vocal about the latter three.

Cracked

On TOL:
Sozo
Bob Enyart
Chickenman
and all the other MAD, OV, YEC, Theonomy and Activist people have had some influence, certainly, as well. Of course, I was already YEC when I joined, and anti-abortion, anti-homosexual legalization and pro death penalty. I just wasn't as vocal about the latter three.

Funny - MAD, YEC, Theonomy (and OSAS) are things I loath about organized Christianity - no wonder we don't see eye to eye very often! :think:

Evoken

For me the most influential, in order, would be St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas, Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, Pope St. Pius X and Pope Leo XIII.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
God Himself in aspect of Jesus Christ
St. Paul
St. John
Irenaeus
Ambrose
Jerome
Augustine

English Bible
John Wycliffe
William Tyndale

Church of England
Thomas Cromwell
Thomas Cranmer
Edward Seymour
John Calvin along with Matthew Parker

American
Patrick Henry, conservative Anglican
A variety of Episcopalian theologians
12 years of private episcopal school

On TOL
Chickenman and STP although we have some differences
AMR although I am not a Calvinist

Others who share with me ideas of nature of God and salvation. AA would be one example.
Many of salvation through faith alone, dead to sin by the work Christ did for us one the cross.

bybee

Among others, Martin Buber, C. S. Lewis and John Sanders. Each of these men cause my mind to race and my heart to expand. I have a better understanding of my relationship to God and myself in community. peace, bybee

Status
Not open for further replies.