toldailytopic: Why do you believe the Bible is God's word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
:thumb: and not because you said you like reading the Quran. You get the thumbs up for everything you said before that. Especially by not being bias neglecting to criticize your own book.

Mormons and Muslims claim that the Bible is corrupted and that their respective books are preserved perfectly. You guys are not in sync with the root beliefs of your own religions, yet you presume to criticize biblical Christianity when you cannot even get your own acts together?

Seydlitz77

maybe we should let this thread get back on topic which is:

"Why do you believe the Bible is God's word?"

let's leave debate on related points to other threads that I'm sure some people may want to start. :)

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
Mormons and Muslims claim that the Bible is corrupted and that their respective books are preserved perfectly. You guys are not in sync with the root beliefs of your own religions, yet you presume to criticize biblical Christianity when you cannot even get your own acts together?

LOL. No one criticized Christianity. The thread is not about that.

I initially said,
Nothing but it saying so, just like every religions text says. There is no greater proof for the bible than there is for other religious texts.

How much of the bible and other religious texts are to be considered the word of God is the question.
You see any Christian criticizing in there? I said the same for all religious text, even mines.

It was you that took it as if someone was attacking Christianity. Furthermore, it's not a Muslim or a Mormon thing. Even some of your fellow Christians do not hold to perfection of your text, so you should take that up with them.

Get over it, not everyone sees it as you do.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned

let's leave debate on related points to other threads that I'm sure some people may want to start. :)
It seems like everyone did until Godrulz did his usual thing: yada, yada, blah, my view is the only view

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Why do you believe article 8 of Mormon Articles of Faith in light of the problems with the BOM and lack of problems with the Bible?!

Why don't you use Joseph Smith's Inspired Version? How do you reconcile his bizarre translation of pivotal Jn. 1:1 in comparison to the many Greek MSS that contradict him?!

Seydlitz77

Why do you believe article 8 of Mormon Articles of Faith in light of the problems with the BOM and lack of problems with the Bible?!

As I've stated that does not mean the Bible does not contain God's word, I have no problem with errors or problems in scripture as they were recorded by imperfect men.

Why don't you use Joseph Smith's Inspired Version? How do you reconcile his bizarre translation of pivotal Jn. 1:1 in comparison to the many Greek MSS that contradict him?!

In answer to the first question, Joseph never completed it, their are a number of incomplete things that are considered potentially useful for instruction but are not canon.

In answer to the second question D&C 35:20 (since I know you have it yes I will make you read it :p ) understanding the principle in that verse means that the JST of John 1 is actually very doctrinally consistent with John 1 as we have it in the Bible.

sdgareth

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 28th, 2010 10:33 AM

toldailytopic: Why do you believe the Bible is God's word?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

A number of personal experiences lead me to believe in God, I tried every which way not to believe, it was not a matter of choice at the of the day. I believe the Bible is God's word in faith and I know what is written in my own heart.

Selaphiel

God told the writers what to write down.

Then surely all of Luke's research work was a gigantic waste of time Luke 1:3 (which of course KJV butchers) :chuckle:

The idea that the Bible is the literal word of God inerrant in every sense of the word is a modern invention and it is borderline idolatry. To use it as a source of science is like washing the fine Chinaware with a sledgehammer.

Aimiel

Why do I believe the Bible is God's word? Because of the inward witness that God provides. I KNOW that His Word is Truth. The Holy Bible is His Written Word. :thumb:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I would not call the Bible God's word

the books were
written by man
selected by man
translated by man
and
interpreted by man

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Please note, that my reply are answers from a study test that I took a number of years ago while studying with MBI, I still believe and stand by them.

Though the Bible was written by men, the Bible was not written or given by the will of man, but spoken by God to men of old as Peter wrote, to men of righteousness, and they were moved by the unction of the Holy Spirit. Thus the Bible is a direct testimony of God, by God, about God.

The Bible does not need another testament or any other book to complete God's message to mankind, it stands on its own merit, God's message is complete.

The testimony of Jesus Christ, by what is written about Him, by what He said, and the witness of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

The Bibles fulfilled prophecies, those fulfilled and yet to be fulfilled.

The unity of the Bible and the immeasurable teachings of the Bible, and the superiority of the Bible to any and all other books.

The history of the Bible, its standing and victory over attack, banning and attempted banning, burnings, scorning and spurning. And still it stands.

Note the character of those who accept and of those who reject the Bible, look at what they said about the Bible, and the influence of the Bible on them, especially for the good, it is a divider of people, the Bible is a yes or no book.

See the inexhaustible depth of the Bible, it has been studied for years by the Lord‘s people and those who seek to discredit it; anyone has yet to reach its bottomless depths.

As we grow in grace and knowledge and holiness, we grow toward the Bible; we begin to search the Bible for its treasures and gems of truth that are the truth and wisdom of the Eternal Father.

:poly:

• The Word of God is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the word of God is sure.
  • The Word of God from the Bible is a keeper.
  • The Word of God can be hidden in our heart, that we might not sin against God.
  • The Word of God is settled in heaven.
  • The Word of God is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
  • The Word of God has hope and is hope.
  • The Word of God is very pure.

:up: Nicely put and accurate!

Buzzword

Selaphiel said:
The idea that the Bible is the literal word of God inerrant in every sense of the word is a modern invention and it is borderline idolatry. To use it as a source of science is like washing the fine Chinaware with a sledgehammer.

Yep. Bibliolatry. Most-fun-to-pronounce theological term ever.

Ignoring cultural, historical, and literary context, not to mention literary genre, makes a mockery of the various writings found within the canons, and painfully and forcibly inserts modern Western thinking into ancient writings which predate capitalism, American democracy, apple pie, and so many other things people value and therefore try to use Scripture to justify.

Buzzword

Didn't Enoch mention how much he liked apple pie? :idunno:

Yeah, but sadly for the ancient world he had the recipe in his pocket when he "was not," so apple pie wasn't rediscovered for thousands of years.

Oh, how history could have been different had it simply slipped out on his way up...

Aimiel

Had the Council of Babel decided to use all the available chapters for the Book of Enoch, we might know how to make some really GOOD apple pie. :thumb:

Aimiel

His Word is self-confirming. God watches over His Word to perform It. His Words are life and spirit to them that find Them.

Status
Not open for further replies.