toldailytopic: Why do you suppose most major media outlets are so overwhelming libera

woopah

So you base your opinion not on regular viewership but on funny clips that get posted on facebook.

Okay, thanks, that's what I wanted to find out. :e4e:

well i'm in UK, I can't get regular viewer ship of Fox. just clips of their more insane/incompetant stuff.

and by coincidence I just saw this posted haha, although this is just an example of stupidity rather than political bias

original.png

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That's pretty awful, can't argue that. Wow.

But it doesn't change my original point that you're forming your opinion from facebook memes.

PureX

Almost unheard of?! Media isn't just radio. Talk radio is dominated by conservatives, yes. But why? Because the print and TV media was so predominantly liberal in the years before the internet. The internet has evened the playing field. You've got Huffington Post, Daily Kos, Democrat Underground, etc. etc. as counter to a similar number of conservative sites.
But print and TV aren't "liberal", you just think they are because your idea of what is "liberal" is a fiction created by Rupert Murdock. In fact, almost all print and TV outlets are owned by giant corporations that, believe me, are anything but "liberal". Their programming is purposely banal, so that they won't offend anyone. And their sole purpose is to make money putting advertisements in front of people's eyes and ears. The more people they get to watch, or listen, the more money they make. And they're all about making money.

FOX exists because Rupert Murdock knows he can make money telling people what they want to hear. (He's the king of sleaze 'journalism', remember.) And he doesn't care if it's true or false, biased or balanced, or anything else. Murdock makes money telling people what they want to hear, and calling it "news". He has been doing it for decades.

FOX is NOT an alternative to "liberal" media. It's an alternative to REALITY. Just like the Enquirer, and all that other phony "news" media that Murdock produces.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
But print and TV aren't "liberal", you just think they are because your idea of what is "liberal" is a fiction created by Rupert Murdock. In fact, almost all print and TV outlets are owned by giant corporations that, believe me, are anything but "liberal". Their programming is purposely banal, so that they won't offend anyone. And their sole purpose is to make money putting advertisements in front of people's eyes and ears. The more people they get to watch, or listen, the more money they make. And they're all about making money.

FOX exists because Rupert Murdock knows he can make money telling people what they want to hear. (He's the king of sleaze 'journalism', remember.) And he doesn't care if it's true or false, biased or balanced, or anything else. Murdock makes money telling people what they want to hear, and calling it "news". He has been doing it for decades.

FOX is NOT an alternative to "liberal" media. It's an alternative to REALITY. Just like the Enquirer, and all that other phony "news" media that Murdock produces.

Don't tell me what I think.

I have no illusions about Fox, I've said here before that if they were truly conservative in slant they'd have coverage of the massive March for Life in Washington DC every January. It gets blacked out every year...hundreds of thousands of marchers, and they get blacked out by everyone, including Fox.

They are centrist enough for liberals to consider right wing, however, and therein lies the rub.

woopah

That's pretty awful, can't argue that. Wow.

But it doesn't change my original point that you're forming your opinion from facebook memes.

but they're not memes, its actual fox coverage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6ekkvWnOE

watch that clip for example, no has interfered with that. It's actual, official fox reporting on the terrible liberal bias of the Muppets and how their brainwashing the children!

That's the type of thing I'm surprised they get away with. it's completely insane! If I didn't know better I would have thought it was a comedy sketch

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
but they're not memes, its actual fox coverage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6ekkvWnOE

watch that clip for example, no has interfered with that. It's actual, official fox reporting on the terrible liberal bias of the Muppets and how their brainwashing the children!

That's the type of thing I'm surprised they get away with. it's completely insane! If I didn't know better I would have thought it was a comedy sketch

It's a meme if it's being sent around the net. Doesn't matter what is is.

And yes, there are a lot of liberal messages aimed at children. It's not insane, it's fact.

woopah

It's a meme if it's being sent around the net. Doesn't matter what is is.

And yes, there are a lot of liberal messages aimed at children. It's not insane, it's fact.

that clip is definitely insane. it's claiming the Muppets movie is part of a liberal anti corporate agenda that teaches kids that its evil to be rich.

I've seen the movie and none of that is true! anyone watching that fox news clip can see the complete lack of reality. They attack the terrible liberals for introducing politics to a kids show and then suggest that the villain in the film should be the Obama administration. surely you see how crazy that is

edit: and for the record the liberal woman they bring on at the end is also crazy

PureX

Don't tell me what I think.

I have no illusions about Fox, I've said here before that if they were truly conservative in slant they'd have coverage of the massive March for Life in Washington DC every January. It gets blacked out every year...hundreds of thousands of marchers, and they get blacked out by everyone, including Fox.

They are centrist enough for liberals to consider right wing, however, and therein lies the rub.
The real problem with outlets like FOX is that what they really are is phony. They are phony conservatives pretending to be the "true" alternative to an imaginary "liberal media" that they made up. And they've been doing it so long, and so well, that they have created an alternative reality that a lot of not-so-bright people think is real, because they WANT to believe it is. Anyone who goes to a news outlet to see what they want to believe is happening in the world isn't too bright. Let's face it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The real problem with outlets like FOX is that what they really are is phony. They are phony conservatives pretending to be the "true" alternative to an imaginary "liberal media" that they made up. And they've been doing it so long, and so well, that they have created an alternative reality that a lot of not-so-bright people think is real, because they WANT to believe it is.

You think the liberal media slant is imaginary?

PureX

You think the liberal media slant is imaginary?
The huge majority of information and entertainment media is neither "liberal" nor "conservative". It's CORPORATE. It exists to make money. Nothing else. Everything it does is just a pretense to get your eyes and ears open for their advertising messages. Everything they do is PRETENSE. We have to understand this, first of all.

Arguing over what network is liberal or conservative is like arguing over which soap opera character should sleep with which other soap opera character. NONE OF IT IS REAL. It's all a ploy to get you to watch. Unless we start with that realization, we are going to get duped by their nonsense.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The huge majority of information and entertainment media is neither "liberal" nor "conservative". It's CORPORATE. It exists to make money. Nothing else. Everything it does is just a pretense to get your eyes and ears open for their advertising messages. Everything they do is PRETENSE. We have to understand this, first of all.

Arguing over what network is liberal or conservative is like arguing over which soap opera character should sleep with which other soap opera character. NONE OF IT IS REAL. It's all a ploy to get you to watch. Unless we start with that realization, we are going to get duped by their pretenses.

Okay, I understand corporate profits driven by ratings. Take that away.

Either the content is accurate, or it's not. Either it's being driven by an agenda, or it isn't.

Looking specifically at the content, it's easy to see when it's being spun, and by whom and for what purpose.

PureX

Okay, I understand corporate profits driven by ratings. Take that away.

Either the content is accurate, or its not. Either it has an agenda, or it doesn't. Looking specifically at the content, it's easy to see when it's being spun, and by whom and for what purpose.
Not really. They all have an agenda, and the agenda is to make money selling advertising. If they can do that pretending to be "conservative", as FOX has clearly chosen to do, then that's what they will do. If they can make money pretending to be "liberal", then that's what they will do. But it turns out that pretending to be the outlet for all things liberal doesn't work as well as pretending to be conservative, because "liberals" don't lockstep very well. They aren't an easily defined (and therefor pandered to) group. In fact, these days "liberals" are pretty much anyone who isn't a lockstep "conservative". So most of the other networks just try not to offend the main stream, because that's where they find their biggest numbers of viewers. And remember, it's ALL about the numbers. NOT the ideology.

PureX

Looking specifically at the content, it's easy to see when it's being spun, and by whom and for what purpose.
I'm not so sure about that. I have seen a lot of "news stories" that just happened to be all about a TV show that aires on that same network. It's really an advertisement disguised as a news story, and planted in the news show. And I've seen similar "news stories" in my local paper that are really just advertisements for some local business or other. You would think that we could tell, but I'm quite sure that most people didn't even realize that they were being deceived.

We make the mistake of thinking that news shows are about informing people of what's going on. But it's not. It's ALWAYS about making money.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Not really. They all have an agenda, and the agenda is to make money selling advertising.

I know that already. That's how the business operates.

If they can do that pretending to be "conservative", as FOX has clearly chosen to do, then that's what they will do. If they can make money pretending to be "liberal", then that's what they will do. But it turns out that pretending to be the outlet for all things liberal doesn't work as well as pretending to be conservative, because "liberals" don't lockstep very well.
Fox is "pretending" to be centrist.

Again, you have to evaluate the news content for accuracy and bias. The rest of the corporate profit agenda aside, bottom line, it is possible to test the content for bias. And it's biased.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What would you consider a singularly liberal message aimed at children?

Here's one:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...of-running-liberal-agenda-20110530-1fbl6.html

Sesame Street has previously been accused of being left wing. In 2009 an episode mocked Fox News. The segment showed the character of Oscar as a reporter for the Grouch News Network and had a viewer telling him: "From now on I am watching 'Pox' News. Now there is a trashy news show."

The Public Broadcasting Service ombudsman later said he "didn't know what was in the head of the producers" and that they should not tell people what to think "through the kids".​

PureX

I know that already. That's how the business operates.

Fox is "pretending" to be centrist.

Again, you have to evaluate the news content for accuracy and bias. The rest of the corporate profit agenda aside, bottom line, it is possible to test the content for bias. And it's biased.
Of course it is. Biased "conservative" news shows get more viewers than accurate "conservative" news shows. But they have to deliver it in a way that doesn't overtly expose itself as biased pandering. And that's what FOX "News" is all about. It's about being deliberately biased, but not so overtly biased that it loses it's "believers". FOX is pandering to a specific "conservative" audience.

The other networks do it, too, but they are mostly pandering to the "mainstream" audiences. That is, they want to offend as few people as possible while attracting as many as possible. They aren't "liberal" or "conservative" because their target is the mainstream. So they have to pretend they are delivering "unbiased" news shows, even though they're really just cheap pretend news shows pretending to be unbiased all the while trying to entertain and titillate.

Because almost everything on TV, the radio, and in newspapers is all about making as much money as possible, now, we aren't getting much real news, anymore. And as a result, we Americans are becoming really stupid when it comes to what's actually going on in the world. Even in our own country.

Greed ruins everything it touches. And that includes the dissemination of information.