toldailytopic: Wild Wednesday. What are some of the wildest things you have ever done

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Berean

During the summer of 1987 I got a job at the Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk amusement park as a ride operator. One day after work a couple of co-workers and I took a ride on the historic Giant Dipper roller coaster. This is a really cool and old roller coaster built in 1924. It is totally gravity powered with no electricity. The coaster gets pulled up to the top of the first drop by a chain. On the way up my buddies and I unlocked the safety bar and tried to switch seats before the coaster drops. Well, as we were switching seats the safety bar got pushed down and locked before we all took our seats. One of the guys got caught on top of the safety bar! There was no time to unlock the bar again so we just grabbed onto him for dear life throughout the ride. I had practically a death grip on him. I wasn't going to let him go for anything. When the ride was finished and we entered the finish station you should have seen the look on the lead ride controller. His face turned white. They he got really angry at us and told us to leave NOW! He didn't turn us in but if he had we probably would have gotten fired. And rightly so. As we got off the ride an older gentleman who sat right behind us told us the was the stupidest thing he had ever seen.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Drove from Denver, Colorado to Granite Falls, Washington in 24 hours.

In 1969, I also drove from downtown Denver to downtown Colorado Springs in about 45 minutes; I was driving a 1969 Ford Torino Talledega CJ-428. What a ride.​

I once stayed awake for 5 straight days. One and a half of those days was a non-stop drive, by myself, from LA to Kansas City. The other days consisted of an open to close day at Disneyland, a 20 hour poker game, helping someone load a truck and move, and a birthday party for my girlfriend.

Newman

I once stayed awake for 5 straight days. One and a half of those days was a non-stop drive, by myself, from LA to Kansas City. The other days consisted of an open to close day at Disneyland, a 20 hour poker game, helping someone load a truck and move, and a birthday party for my girlfriend.

Nope. Don't believe you.

The Berean

Yeah. In what order did you do those? Did you hallucinate? How long did you sleep once you were finally able?

I'm useless after two nights without sleep, so I'm curious.

Apparently, the "world record" for sleep deprivation is about 11 days.

But I remember several years ago I was watching a science show about a woman scientist that decided to live in a deep cave as an experiment. She wanted to see how the lack of sunlight affects human sleep patterns. The affects were dramatic. Her sleep patterns got all crazy. She'd sleep like for 30 hours straight then stay away for days all without any apparent side affects."

Yeah. In what order did you do those? Did you hallucinate? How long did you sleep once you were finally able?

I'm useless after two nights without sleep, so I'm curious.

I had gone to California to help a friend move his mom back to KC. I got up between 8-9 am on Wed morning. We packed and loaded her stuff on U-Haul until early Thursday morning. I told my friend, I wasn't leaving until I had a chance to go to Disneyland. We went there and stayed till it closed. Came back, ate, dinner, and I get in the car, while he and his mom took the truck., and finally headed out just after midnight. I had to be back for my date Saturday, so we drove non-stop to KC (he with the truck and me with the car. His mom could not drive), only stopping for gas and junk food. Arrived in KC Saturday, showered, took my girlfriend out to dinner, then over to her birthday party. At the party a poker game broke out and lasted till mid-day Sunday (I won 500.00), I left, went home and tried to go to sleep, which was not easy, because I was hearing multiple voices and hallucinating. The last couple of hours were scary. I woke-up after about 14 hours, but it took a few days to recover.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In 1969, I also drove from downtown Denver to downtown Colorado Springs in about 45 minutes; I was driving a 1969 Ford Torino Talledega CJ-428. What a ride.​

I like driving fast, I like fast cars and I have had a few, one of my cars had a Plymouth 440 wedge head V-8. But over the years I have slowed down. Slowed down as in Chrysler T&C, that kind of slowed down.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Apparently, the "world record" for sleep deprivation is about 11 days.

But I remember several years ago I was watching a science show about a woman scientist that decided to live in a deep cave as an experiment. She wanted to see how the lack of sunlight affects human sleep patterns. The affects were dramatic. Her sleep patterns got all crazy. She'd sleep like for 30 hours straight then stay away for days all without any apparent side affects."

:think: Interesting.
Have you heard of the disease or disorder that prevents you from sleeping? Terrible! :shocked:

As for the DT - I went cow-tipping once. :cow:

gsweet

Boy, this thread just seems like a ban waiting to happen...

On the road trip front, I drove straight from Boston to Thunder Bay, Ontario (taking the northern route); on the way back, I took my time with the southern route and averaged 3 cheeseburgers a day for 10 days (the midwest has the best fast food, hands down).

I have traveled 40 hours from Boston to Hobart, Tasmania (and I can't sleep on planes...drunk or sober), only to be whisked off to the Northern Philippines. Never mind the time difference and amount of travel, I was awake (technically) for about 50 hours. Once there I spent my time groggily mapping the geology of what was effectively a sewer runoff while trying not to run into locals who don't like westerners/mining companies (understandably).

I have gotten rather intoxicated as an undergraduate, and woken up a mile away from where I started dressed as a Catholic school girl.

I've been a mountain biker for a decade plus, and have done countless stupid things on that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.