toldailytopic: You are on a Pulpit Committee. What are two questions you will ask the

Buzzword

1) Which is more important, worship or study?

2) Which is more important, the individual or the collective?

Both are trick questions.
If he/she chooses one over the other with either question he/she is unfit to lead a congregation, because he/she will cause division by favoring one or the other.

The key to coming to God in fellowship with one another is BALANCE.
Old and young, tradition and innovation, worship and study, experience and reason, emotion and intellect, individual and collective.

Notice, also, that neither question involves dogma or doctrine.
If he/she has his/her priorities set on finding balance, any doctrinal issues will work themselves out.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 26th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: You are on a Pulpit Committee. What are two questions you will ask the pastoral candidate?

1. What do you believe the Bible to be? (This will stop him from feeling out the answer you want just to get in.)
2. Who do you believe Jesus to be?

Doormat

1. Do you love the Lord your God with all you heart, soul and mind?
2. Will you love your neighbor as yourself and love the Body as Yeshua did?

If he is honest, the answer is no.

Psalm 116:1 I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.

Acts 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

1 Kings 15:5 Because David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any thing that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

See, I don't like it when people imply they do or somebody else does.

If that is true, it follows that you believe nobody loves God. You are implying that we are liars if we claim we love God, and you are implicitly claiming that you don't love God. Are you really thinking carefully about the things you say on this forum before posting?

Would you hire a pastor that told you he did not love God and did not love his neighbor?

If they did, the Lord Jesus Christ would not have had to die for sin.

That is a non sequitur.

John's parents both loved the LORD with all their heart ...

Luke 1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

... yet Jesus died to free them from those ordinances.

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

keypurr

1 Ask him if he believes what the church wants him to teach.
2 Ask him what it is going to cost the church for his services.

He might be a free spirit like me and teach what you do not want him to.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: You are on a Pulpit Committee.
What are two questions you will ask the pastoral candidate?

Are you a pastor who will rely on the church staff to help you.

Apart from you application/resume, is there anything about yourself, your family or the past that you haven't told us.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
First of all, I wouldn't go to a church with a 'pulpit' committee. The pastor should be one of your elders that has the gift of teaching... and if you have multiple, you rotate the teachers.

The entire idea of bringing in a 'hired gun' to lead your church is a concept I could never wrap my mind around. It wasn't something that the early church did either.

How are elders chosen? How do you determine which of the elders has the gift of teaching?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
1) What is the way to salvation and how many ways there are?

2) Do you believe that the bible is the word of God and do you believe it all?

eameece

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 26th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: You are on a Pulpit Committee. What are two questions you will ask the pastoral candidate?

Some of these questions I did ask, as a matter of fact; to no avail.... ministers are a pretty sad lot....

Will you let the congregation run the church? Will you interfere in what they are doing?

Will you be respectful and not rudely order people around?

Will you encourage people to be creative, or just insist that they feed out of your mouth like some sort of egomaniac cult leader?