Trump, Evangelicals, and the Road Ahead

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I don't agree with the OP at all. The people who know Trump...his family and friends say he is a kind, giving, and generous human being.
With his friends, family, and even employees perhaps he is. The article in the OP wasn't about that though. I haven't seen anyone say that Trump is awful to everyone.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

Trump is an egomaniac that has everything except the most powerful political office in the world. He doesn't care about the Constitution or righteously governing, he's in it for the power trip.

Of course he is, and darn it, we agree!

If you'd done your homework Art, you'd know that Donald Trump espouses all of the liberal values that people like you and patrick jane love so dearly:

Abortion, homosexuality, government healthcare, etc.

I'd heard on a conservative talk show the other night that many Bernie Sanders supporters will support Trump if Mrs. Bill Clinton should get the democratic nomination. That speaks loudly about Trump.

glorydaz

Trump and Cruz are both hated by the Washington political establishment. It's hard to tell which one they hate the worst. I voted for Cruz in the Oklahoma primary because I felt that he represented my values better than the others. I really don't know what to think about Trump except that he reminds me of P.T. Barnum. I would vote for Trump if it came down to a final battle between him and Clinton or Sanders.

I just see Cruz as another "my way or highway" president, and we have one of those now.

glorydaz

But he expresses his hate and bigotry out loud, before the cameras, so that all the other hate-filled bigots in American can feel validated, and strong, and proud, again. And for the first time since the late 60s.

Lots of self-proclaimed Christians are hate-filled bigots. They were in the 1960s and they still are, today. So they love what Trump is preaching in spite of the fact that he's an atheist, a whore-mongering hedonist, an unapologetic liar, and a blatant materialist.

Ah, the "hate-filled bigots" you see all around you? :chuckle:

You seem pretty filled with hate to me....calling him an atheist when you have no clue what he believes.
You can call him any name you like, but it doesn't mean he is any of those things....just as I'm none of the things I've been called by people right here on this board.

Fortunately there is a huge swath of people here in the USofA who don't see others with the hate-filled glasses you libs wear so well. That hate you see is on your side of the lens.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Look closer my friend, Donald Trump is the Establishment, unfortunately the lying mainstream media doesn't show that he is.

No, he's a business man who has used the establishment. Which is why he is speaking out now.

When Donald Trump created an "exploratory committee" to run as President on the Reform Party ticket back in 2000, he automatically became a politician (although not an elected one).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign,_2000

Since then, amongst other things he has backed Hilary Clinton for President, defended Planned Parenthood, the LGBTQ agenda and socialized (i.e. government) healthcare.

If that doesn't reek of Establishment, nothing does.

There is no one better situated to take down the mob than one who used to do business with them.

Ummm, how about an honest man that hasn't amongst other things cheated on his wife and was on the cover of a smut (i.e. Playboy) magazine?

200x150_709.jpg

Wasn't Bill Clinton making a mockery out of the Office of the President one too many?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
And I ask, who knows him best.

I don't see the point in that question. I'm not attempting to contradict what is said about how he acts with those who are close to him. The article referenced is about things he's done and said publicly and concerns strangers. Things he hasn't shied away from. You don't have to be close to him to talk about that.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Look closer my friend, Donald Trump is the Establishment, unfortunately the lying mainstream media doesn't show that he is.

Mitt Romney was not faking it in his speech. Karl Rove is suffering chest pains. The blue collar moderate has answered chrysostom's plea that says Trump is not a Republican. They say "we know, that's why we are voting for him".

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Mitt Romney was not faking it in his speech. Karl Rove is suffering chest pains. The blue collar moderate has answered chrysostom's plea that says Trump is not a Republican. They say "we know, that's why we are voting for him".

Since when should we value the opinions of moderates Nick? They can't even decide which side of the fence to get on.

glorydaz

Ummm, how about an honest man that hasn't amongst other things cheated on his wife and was on the cover of a smut (i.e. Playboy) magazine?

200x150_709.jpg

Wasn't Bill Clinton making a mockery out of the Office of the President one too many?

John Kennedy comes to mind, and he wouldn't be the only one who had cheated on his wife.

What makes a mockery of the Presidency is letting the elite in Washington decide the presidency instead of the people...as has happened for way too long now. When I look around me at the world today, I see a different "people" than was here in earlier years. Anyway, I'm quite sure Trump will put on his president suit as well as any of the others will....maybe the whitewash won't be so thick as it's been in the past, either.

glorydaz

I don't see the point in that question. I'm not attempting to contradict what is said about how he acts with those who are close to him. The article referenced is about things he's done and said publicly and concerns strangers. Things he hasn't shied away from. You don't have to be close to him to talk about that.

So what has he done that is so wrong? What has he said that's so wrong?

He certainly isn't politically correct...no doubt about that, but so do the real people of the world.

glorydaz

Just my opinion, I believe that Trump claimed association with Christians simply for votes.

I think he's one of those regular folks that believe in God, but don't hang out on theology boards.

In fact, he reminds me of many in my family who have a very simple faith, but it's real. They may not look much different from the world from the outside, but when the rubber meets the road they count on Lord. What are the chances a Ben Carson would ever rise to the office of President? Sadly, not much of one. Such is the state of the world in which we live.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior

John Kennedy comes to mind, and he wouldn't be the only one who had cheated on his wife.

Evidently your standards for the Office of the President of the United States aren't very high.

Ted Cruz's father, Rafael, had people like you in mind when he gave this interview to Steve Deace.

Rafael Cruz Slams Trump and Evangelicals Who Vote for Him

Feb. 28, 2016

While in Nashville at the National Religious Broadcasters convention, Steve Deace landed Rafael Cruz as a guest on his show. In keeping with the convention’s theme, they started talking about religion and its role in politics.

Deace framed his question carefully, asking, “How in the world does Donald Trump win evangelical voters in South Carolina? What does that say about where we’re at as a church, or does it say anything about where we’re at as a church across the board?”

The question was a great one because Cruz’s son Ted Cruz is running for president and was expected to dominate the Evangelical vote. Trump has somehow ended up doing that in spite of insults to the community and a demonstrated lack of ecclesiastical know-how. Because of this, Cruz was all too ready with his answer:

Well, I think that they’re defining evangelicals in a very loose manner. If we look at the numbers, those that are people that call themselves born-again Christians that are committed to the lord, we won overwhelmingly among that group. Unfortunately — and this is a message that I have been carrying to America, as you said, for several years — there are too many people in the church that have actually become lax about the word of God, that they are being more concerned with being politically correct than being biblically correct, they have diluted the word of God in order to be palatable to everyone.
http://www.mediaite.com/online/rafael-cruz-slams-trump-and-evangelicals-who-vote-for-him/

Arthur Brain

I don't agree with the OP at all. The people who know Trump...his family and friends say he is a kind, giving, and generous human being. I know from personal experience how people can say any number of horrible things about a person that have absolutely NO factual basis. Christians are seeing the lies and hypocritical Ted Cruz types...a Washington politician in spite of his claims...it oozes from his pores. Trump is right, Cruz holds up a Bible then lays it down and lies. I've watched him do it, and his patronizing manner is sickening. Evangelicals have learned something....don't believe a word these people say who have spent any time in Washington DC. The gullible ones are those who keep swallowing the line of bull that the government has been feeding them for too many years.

Kick the bums out has been a cry for quite some time. Now we're doing it...and I hope we succeed.

I saw quite enough of the 'character' of Trump when he rode roughshod over the inhabitants of conserved land in Scotland all in order to build a bloody golf course in "You've Been Trumped".

Kind and generous?

Er, nope.

:plain: