Trump, Evangelicals, and the Road Ahead

ClimateSanity

What, God all of the sudden lost interest and doesn't care about electing God-fearing men into public office?

Romans 13:1-7

1 Peter 2:13-17

Titus 3:1

Deuteronomy 1:13

Exodus 18:21
Your first verse States that God chooses who is in power.... not us. Nero was not a godly man and that is who was in charge at Paul's time. In fact, more often than not, there has been an ungodly man in office including Hitler. None of these people were there without Gods approval. They do the will of God concerning the nation's they govern. The fact that they are so often evil indicates that God is using government to punish the wicked.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Your first verse States that God chooses who is in power.... not us. Nero was not a godly man and that is who was in charge at Paul's time. In fact, more often than not, there has been an ungodly man in office including Hitler. None of these people were there without Gods approval. They do the will of God concerning the nation's they govern. The fact that they are so often evil indicates that God is using government to punish the wicked.

All of the verses (and those throughout the Bible that deal with civil government) sets the role for governing men. If you believe that government has a different role than to do good and punish evil, then I would very much like to hear it.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Anyone who thinks Donald Trump gives a damn about anything besides his ego and bank balance needs to buy a clue...

Trump is an egomaniac that has everything except the most powerful political office in the world. He doesn't care about the Constitution or righteously governing, he's in it for the power trip.

Arthur Brain

You're starting to sweat, huh ?

View attachment 23581

Sorry Patrick but Donald Trump is nothing other than a wealthy opportunist looking for political glory and that's it. If you honestly think he would give a darn about you or American people in general then seriously dude, think about it. He just wants the mantle of president and probably wouldn't care that much if he was booted out before a second term as long as he attained it...

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Sorry Patrick but Donald Trump is nothing other than a wealthy opportunist looking for political glory and that's it. If you honestly think he would give a darn about you or American people in general then seriously dude, think about it. He just wants the mantle of president and probably wouldn't care that much if he was booted out before a second term as long as he attained it...
You're mostly right, but there is a chance he can do a great job with the right people around him. If he could humble himself and tame his tongue he'd be ok. I think he does love America and the people.

Arthur Brain

You're mostly right, but there is a chance he can do a great job with the right people around him. If he could humble himself and tame his tongue he'd be ok. I think he does love America and the people.

Well, the chances of Trump humbling himself are about the same as Trump humbling himself unfortunately...

glorydaz

I don't agree with the OP at all. The people who know Trump...his family and friends say he is a kind, giving, and generous human being. I know from personal experience how people can say any number of horrible things about a person that have absolutely NO factual basis. Christians are seeing the lies and hypocritical Ted Cruz types...a Washington politician in spite of his claims...it oozes from his pores. Trump is right, Cruz holds up a Bible then lays it down and lies. I've watched him do it, and his patronizing manner is sickening. Evangelicals have learned something....don't believe a word these people say who have spent any time in Washington DC. The gullible ones are those who keep swallowing the line of bull that the government has been feeding them for too many years.

Kick the bums out has been a cry for quite some time. Now we're doing it...and I hope we succeed.

journey

Trump and Cruz are both hated by the Washington political establishment. It's hard to tell which one they hate the worst. I voted for Cruz in the Oklahoma primary because I felt that he represented my values better than the others. I really don't know what to think about Trump except that he reminds me of P.T. Barnum. I would vote for Trump if it came down to a final battle between him and Clinton or Sanders.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The idea is

If the church were in the place it ought to be with God, God would raise up the right people to govern the state in which the church exists, in other words you get the government you deserve or as the bible says it.

Righteousness exalteth a nation.

Do you think Trump is more immoral than the Bushes? Reagan? Clinton? Kennedy? I actually think he is "moral" based on good business sense, what works. Business people are conciliatory, willing to get along with people.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I don't agree with the OP at all. The people who know Trump...his family and friends say he is a kind, giving, and generous human being. I know from personal experience how people can say any number of horrible things about a person that have absolutely NO factual basis. Christians are seeing the lies and hypocritical Ted Cruz types...a Washington politician in spite of his claims...it oozes from his pores. Trump is right, Cruz holds up a Bible then lays it down and lies. I've watched him do it, and his patronizing manner is sickening. Evangelicals have learned something....don't believe a word these people say who have spent any time in Washington DC. The gullible ones are those who keep swallowing the line of bull that the government has been feeding them for too many years.

Kick the bums out has been a cry for quite some time. Now we're doing it...and I hope we succeed.

That is worth a second say

PureX

Trump is a materialist and an atheist!
But he expresses his hate and bigotry out loud, before the cameras, so that all the other hate-filled bigots in American can feel validated, and strong, and proud, again. And for the first time since the late 60s.

Lots of self-proclaimed Christians are hate-filled bigots. They were in the 1960s and they still are, today. So they love what Trump is preaching in spite of the fact that he's an atheist, a whore-mongering hedonist, an unapologetic liar, and a blatant materialist.