Water Baptism

Water Baptism

• is necessary for all.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • is for those who understand what it means.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • saves a believer.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • is for believers who are already saved.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • should be given to infants.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • is symbolic.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • is a good idea.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • washes away our sins.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • isn't needed or necessary for any

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters

philosophizer

If any moderator would like to add that... :D

Heck, for that matter, if any moderator wants to add any other option I might have forgotten, go ahead.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
First off, are you talking about water baptism or the baptism of the Holy Spirit?

PastorZ77

I gather you are talking about water baptism, I would say the best option is that it is "symbolic".

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I added that option, philo. Do you want the title of the thread changed to "water baptism"?

Redfin

Baptism is immersion in water for the forgiveness of sins, as per the examples of the book of Acts. :thumb:

It is necessary for all

Matthew 28:19-20 - Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

It is also symbolic

Romans 6:16-18 - Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God that you, having once been slaves of sin, have become obedient from the heart to the form of teaching to which you were entrusted, and that you, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

“The teaching” was the gospel, the death, burial & resurrection of Christ.

I Corinthians 15:1-5 - Now I would remind you, brothers and sisters, of the good news that I proclaimed to you, which you in turn received, in which also you stand, through which also you are being saved, if you hold firmly to the message that I proclaimed to you--unless you have come to believe in vain. For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.

“Obedience” to Jesus’ command for all to be baptized in the great commission and obedience to “the form of teaching,” is seen to be one and the same thing.

Romans 6:3-7 - Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be destroyed, and we might no longer be enslaved to sin. For whoever has died is freed from sin.

It absolutely washes away our sins

Acts 22:16 - And now why do you delay? Get up, be baptized, and have your sins washed away, calling on his name.'

PastorZ77

It absolutely washes away our sins

Acts 22:16 - And now why do you delay? Get up, be baptized, and have your sins washed away, calling on his name.'

Not sure what version this came out of. Washing away of sins is does by calling on his name.

When unsaved people go swimming, they don't get their sins washed away. It is the acknowledgment of Christ as savior that causes our sins to be washed away, not a dunk in a tub.

It is purely symbolic.

And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Redfin

Originally posted by PastorZ77

Not sure what version this came out of.

The New Revised Standard Version (NRSV).

Washing away of sins is does by calling on his name.

We call on His name when we are baptized (all in the same verse there).

When unsaved people go swimming, they don't get their sins washed away.

Unsaved people don't go swimming "for the forgiveness of sins," as I specified in my 1st post.

It is the acknowledgment of Christ as savior that causes our sins to be washed away, not a dunk in a tub.

It is also the acknowledgement of Christ as Lord, through obedience to His command.

It is purely symbolic.

It is symbolic, as I've already acknowledged, but not exclusively symbolic. It is also the point at which God's grace is effectively credited to our account.

Colossians 2:12 - when you were buried with him in baptism, you were also raised with him through faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but the Bible backs it up. :think:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Lucky

First off, are you talking about water baptism or the baptism of the Holy Spirit?
I changed the thread title to "Water Baptism," so that we're all (hopefully, kinda) on the same page.

philosophizer

I voted that it is not necessary. Our salvation does not depend on being baptised with water in a special ceremony. The power of God is not confined between some Hydrogen and Oxygen molocules.

That said, it is just as ridiculous to say, as Hilston does, that it is some kind of sin against God. That claim, instead of trapping the Holy Spirit in the water, traps the devil in it. It just doesn't make any sense.

The main thing is not to insist on one course or the other. It's not really the important thing that many churches make it out to be. It doesn't cleanse us of our sins. Christ all ready did the full job on that.

On the other side of it, it can be a useful experience for a believer coming to Christ. But a lot of things can be "useful" or "beneficial."

Redfin

It amazes me that folks who consider themselves to be believers would "vote" to ignore/deny what the Scriptures plainly say! :doh:

Biblical doctrine is not decided by the majority. In fact -

Matthew 7:14 - "...the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those who find it."

PastorZ77

It amazes me that folks who consider themselves to be believers would "vote" to ignore/deny what the Scriptures plainly say!

I understand that this is rare, but what happens to the person (maybe 300 in the world, but documented nonetheless) that is actually ALLERGIC to water.