Went to the Amish store today...

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...and bought some cinnamon bread (no raisins...ugh!) and some of the homemade lotion. Also, since I can't find a local man (including my nephew) who is willing to do it, I asked the storekeeper if she knew of any men who need a short-term job of building a chicken coop for me. Once I have the chickens set up, I'm going to ask them to fence off a section of my yard (about an acre) and set it up for goats for me. The lady I've been buying my eggs from has been running short on her egg supply and I'm not going to pay $3+ for a dozen that are half the size of the ones she sells me for $2 a dozen. It will be cheaper (in the long run) to just get about ten chickens and have my own eggs.

And, next month, I'm going to get about twenty bales of straw to set up for next spring's garden. Basically, I'll line them up in rows, wet them, and cover them with a tarp all winter. Next spring, I will have weed-free mulch ready to go.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you for sharing about Amish community.

I am very interested.

I don't know a whole lot about them. The women are excellent cooks and quilters. The men tend to keep themselves busy either farming or doing wood crafts out here. Very few of them actually work outside their own community. The lady who was at the store today, works there with her sisters and sisters-in-law. Their husbands all do different wood crafts for the store to sell.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I don't know a whole lot about them. The women are excellent cooks and quilters. The men tend to keep themselves busy either farming or doing wood crafts out here. Very few of them actually work outside their own community. The lady who was at the store today, works there with her sisters and sisters-in-law. Their husbands all do different wood crafts for the store to sell.

It is amazing that they are still living old fashion way in this modern age.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is amazing that they are still living old fashion way in this modern age.

If it weren't for the long skirts the women wear, I actually wouldn't mind living with them and learning to do things the old ways.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
If it weren't for the long skirts the women wear, I actually wouldn't mind living with them and learning to do things the old ways.

If they are living in my neighborhood, I would learn how they do it.

Do they accept anyone to be in their community?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
...and bought some cinnamon bread (no raisins...ugh!) and some of the homemade lotion. Also, since I can't find a local man (including my nephew) who is willing to do it, I asked the storekeeper if she knew of any men who need a short-term job of building a chicken coop for me. Once I have the chickens set up, I'm going to ask them to fence off a section of my yard (about an acre) and set it up for goats for me. The lady I've been buying my eggs from has been running short on her egg supply and I'm not going to pay $3+ for a dozen that are half the size of the ones she sells me for $2 a dozen. It will be cheaper (in the long run) to just get about ten chickens and have my own eggs.

And, next month, I'm going to get about twenty bales of straw to set up for next spring's garden. Basically, I'll line them up in rows, wet them, and cover them with a tarp all winter. Next spring, I will have weed-free mulch ready to go.

my cousin went to the amish in MO for cream, milk, eggs, meat and veggies. he raves about the quality and misses them. i admire the distance they choose to keep from a corrupt and fallen society/world.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If they are living in my neighborhood, I would learn how they do it.

Do they accept anyone to be in their community?

They allow anyone to go to their churches. But, I don't know how easily they accept the English (people outside their church) to become what they call plain.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
my cousin went to the amish in MO for cream, milk, eggs, meat and veggies. he raves about the quality and misses them. i admire the distance they choose to keep from a corrupt and fallen society/world.

I've loved every Amish person that I've met. Their kids are so polite (when they're not at the shy age).

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What their main language?

Most groups of them speak English to outsiders and either German or Dutch at home. But, I don't think they call us "English" because they don't speak the language. I think it's a holdover from when they didn't speak English, though. They just call anyone who is not part of the Amish community English.