What Does Religious Liberty Mean ?

Lon

She pointed out what others already seemed to be thinking. She certainly didn't make personal jabs at you and yet you felt inclined to say she was embittered and had a chip on her shoulder and you can't just shoo that off, not if you're honest at any rate. You may not have meant to be personal or condescending but then look at how you misread Quip's comment about "enduring" five children. Not really interested in pursuing this any further.

Incorrect. SHE made the jabs. Learn to read and stop being a drone for people who are wrong, just because they are your friends and have your allegiance. I cannot abide half-truth emoting, Arthur. Admit you are/were wrong and move on.

glorydaz

Incorrect. SHE made the jabs. Learn to read and stop being a drone for people who are wrong, just because they are your friends and have your allegiance. I cannot abide half-truth emoting, Arthur. Admit you are/were wrong and move on.

That's the way Artie rolls. He knows no other way.

His hypocrisy is as immense as Draino's ego. :chuckle:

Arthur Brain

She wasn't wrong and I'll be doing no such thing. Carry on as you will.

That's the way Artie rolls. He knows no other way.

His hypocrisy is as immense as Draino's ego. :chuckle:

Funny how you never seem to be able to point out what this hypocrisy consists of with other people exactly or certainly anything specific. Heck, you chuckle at yourself as much as Danoh does...

Danoh

Funny how you never seem to be able to point out what this hypocrisy consists of with other people exactly or certainly anything specific. Heck, you chuckle at yourself as much as Danoh does...

:chuckle:

Lon

You should. She answered a post to Quip, Arthur. You KNOW it. What is more important here? Truth or saving face? Both if you can, but I'm seeing a HUGE discrepancy. Honestly, you know why I think I'm on ignore? BECAUSE I'm one of 'them.' She really is like this now. The saddest part of this all is that before SHE moved to her new position, she liked me. I'm not the one who has changed, Arthur. :nono: I'm the same as I've always been.

I think she is just reading and seeing something clearly here. I really did not draw first-blood so to speak AND hold no malice toward her for it anyway. I may have become a bit stern, but not to the intent of having her putting me on ignore or offending her. We REALLY need to be able to disagree and still be able to talk to one another. I don't care what you say to me, as long as you are committed to dialoguing it out with me in some kind of sincerity. Quip deserves what he gets. You've done INCREDIBLY better than Anna did coming to both of their defense and so I appreciate you, but I still think you can do better. And that's honestly what I think and believe here. I think sometimes you are wrong, like now, even if you don't see it. I truly appreciate you and I often walk away friends yet over our disagreements and this looks like another one. :e4e:

Arthur Brain

You should. She answered a post to Quip, Arthur. You KNOW it. What is more important here? Truth or saving face? Both if you can, but I'm seeing a HUGE discrepancy. Honestly, you know why I think I'm on ignore? BECAUSE I'm one of 'them.' She really is like this now. The saddest part of this all is that before SHE moved to her new position, she liked me. I'm not the one who has changed, Arthur. :nono: I'm the same as I've always been.

Okay, you need to understand something here Lon. I'm friends with anna and by friends I don't just mean some friendship on a forum where we share some messages and a few reps here and there but proper friends and all this stuff about her moving "to a new position" is feeble. She is not some bitter person who looks to lash out and that should be obvious to any regular of this place already, at least the ones who aren't trolls and have some honesty about them at any rate. Does it occur to you that you went beyond the reasonable by bringing up the personal in regards to anna? Is that even a possibility that you'll entertain?

I think she is just reading and seeing something clearly here. I really did not draw first-blood so to speak AND hold no malice toward her for it anyway. I may have become a bit stern, but not to the intent of having her putting me on ignore or offending her. We REALLY need to be able to disagree and still be able to talk to one another. I don't care what you say to me, as long as you are committed to dialoguing it out with me in some kind of sincerity. Quip deserves what he gets. You've done INCREDIBLY better than Anna did coming to both of their defense and so I appreciate you, but I still think you can do better. And that's honestly what I think and believe here. I think sometimes you are wrong, like now, even if you don't see it. I truly appreciate you and I often walk away friends yet over our disagreements and this looks like another one. :e4e:

Anna doesn't hold malice towards you either. I doubt she holds malice towards anybody frankly and is far more understanding and level headed than I am to be quite honest. So there's that...

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Okay, you need to understand something here Lon. I'm friends with anna and by friends I don't just mean some friendship on a forum where we share some messages and a few reps here and there but proper friends and all this stuff about her moving "to a new position" is feeble. She is not some bitter person who looks to lash out and that should be obvious to any regular of this place already, at least the ones who aren't trolls and have some honesty about them at any rate. Does it occur to you that you went beyond the reasonable by bringing up the personal in regards to anna? Is that even a possibility that you'll entertain?

Arthur, you're such a good friend to me. You always have been, from the start, and I'm so thankful for that steady friendship.

I appreciate your posts here more than I can say, but maybe it's time to let Lon go on his way, because this is just an impossible impasse.

Anna doesn't hold malice towards you either. I doubt she holds malice towards anybody frankly and is far more understanding and level headed than I am to be quite honest. So there's that...

To post this to you this I had to make an exception to my rule of not talking about people I have on ignore, but want Lon to know that I hold no malice towards him, never have, and it's not a matter of liking or not liking him either - and the conversation we had in this thread didn't make me angry, just kind of bemused at what he was saying. Having made that clear, I'm the one who determines when I want to walk away from a conversation and who I want to put on ignore and this was one of those times, because it was pointless going around in circles with him. Definitely not retracting any of what I said about religious liberty and whose values determine it, or about how I thought he was framing his argument - but I definitely said it without the "emoting" he projected onto me.

Anyway, many thanks again.

... Would you like some cold lasagna? :)

Arthur Brain

Arthur, you're such a good friend to me. You always have been, from the start, and I'm so thankful for that steady friendship.

I appreciate your posts here more than I can say, but maybe it's time to let Lon go on his way, because this is just an impossible impasse.

Well, you know how that goes in turn.

To post this to you this I had to make an exception to my rule of not talking about people I have on ignore, but want Lon to know that I hold no malice towards him, never have, and it's not a matter of liking or not liking him either - and the conversation we had in this thread didn't make me angry, just kind of bemused at what he was saying. Having made that clear, I'm the one who determines when I want to walk away from a conversation and who I want to put on ignore and this was one of those times, because it was pointless going around in circles with him. Definitely not retracting any of what I said about religious liberty and whose values determine it, or about how I thought he was framing his argument - but I definitely said it without the "emoting" he projected onto me.

Anyway, many thanks again.

... Would you like some cold lasagna? :)

No, microwave it...

:eek:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Back to religious liberty:

I like what the ACLU says:

As enshrined in the First Amendment, religious freedom includes two complementary protections: the right to religious belief and expression and a guarantee that the government neither prefers religion over non-religion nor favors particular faiths over others. These dual protections work hand in hand, allowing religious liberty to thrive and safeguarding both religion and government from the undue influences of the other.

The idea that this country was founded by Christians, has a divine manifest destiny and should be governed as such leans to Christian Dominionism, which is not what the founding fathers intended.

Lon

Yes, but not against me (or vise versa if you follow). I realize I'm one of 'them' but I ALWAYS liked Anna and she was NEVER this way with me prior. As I said, I may have become firm, or terse with such, but it wasn't me. She wanted an answer to a question that was 'us/them.' I don't think that way. Families are just families. I'd HAVE to imagine, love, kindness, joy, peace, patience, goodness, self-control, gentleness isn't just Christian, but something ALL families value, even if they are horrible at any particular. Am I right? Family values are just family values? Whether or not someone like Anna agreed, It didn't require anything as toward as what I received. I can appreciate being scapegoated. I'm fine but if I'm cut-off, the effort is over and there is a certain amount of frustration. Again, Anna never used to be this way with me. There IS a change. You can discuss with me details about that change, but certainly interjecting in my dialogue with Quip in a mean-spirited and snarky manner, trying to make communication 'my' problem and putting me on ignore must be included in that assessment. I'm happy you are her friend and even away from TOL. I'm just telling you to be more of an 'appropriate' advocate. Deal with facts and go where they lead. Honest assessment will make you a BETTER friend (to both of us).

If I didn't care about her, it wouldn't be as frustrating as it is. I am often left wondering why I get this kind of feedback. I honestly assess that those who are 'against' the majority no longer 'like' the majority. That's a problem with their souls. It is a ripping and shredding sentiment. For me, it'd literally be hating part of my family. I have conservatives and liberals both politically and religiously. I HAVE to learn to love and hopefully, meaningfully communicate with them.

If I can jump to a theme of importance, it is that. I'd much rather care about people I'm disagreeing with than see people write me off.

Lon

Doesn't work that way.

Perhaps you have still not resolved that this world is presently the realm of "the god of this world."

:chuckle:

Rom. 5:6-8.i
2 Corinthians 4:4 but how do you reconcile that with being a part of a nation that is ours? Why are we to pray for those who lead us, for example, if not some involvement?
Romans 13:1-7 1 Peter 2:13-17 Psalm 22:28

:think: Titus 3:1 Luke 20:25

Lon

I like what the ACLU says
The ACLU has had a hand in whatever destruction is ruining this country and with no guise of good intention of 'protecting' religious liberty. They have been a secular front for atheists and atheist agenda for a very long time. I realize Anna has me on ignore. This is for posterity of the thread. There are other institutions very much against the agenda of the ACLU, a very secular and atheist organization.

Danoh

2 Corinthians 4:4 but how do you reconcile that with being a part of a nation that is ours? Why are we to pray for those who lead us, for example, if not some involvement?
Romans 13:1-7 1 Peter 2:13-17 Psalm 22:28

:think: Titus 3:1 Luke 20:25

Paul's instruction actually has to do with what prayer is meant to focus the person praying on.

Paul was writing to Believers under the infamously immoral Roman Empire.

1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

Towards what intended impact in the one doing the prayer, regardless of whom one is praying about?

2:2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Because the Believer's sure hope is not in men.

Prayer is meant to focus the one doing the praying on what is said sure hope.

2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

That right there is the key to leading a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Kind of like The Serenity Prayer.

Lon

Paul's instruction actually has to do with what prayer is meant to focus the person praying on.

Paul was writing to Believers under the infamously immoral Roman Empire.

1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

Towards what intended impact in the one doing the prayer, regardless of whom one is praying about?

2:2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Because the Believer's sure hope is not in men.

Prayer is meant to focus the one doing the praying on what is said sure hope.

2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

That right there is the key to leading a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Kind of like The Serenity Prayer.
Yes, but I'm asking, regardless if Satan is the 'god of this world (age)' should we, for example vote against abortion? It is at least an expression of religious values. If you read the link I gave a moment ago, against the ACLU, they tried to have 'sentiments' removed simply because they recognized them as coming from a bible. That, imho is just dumb. You cannot be so against Muslim religion, for example, that you'd want "Spend your money for good: to help your parents, your family, orphans, wayfarers, and the needy." removed from any public or private institution. It is completely stupid to be against something just because it 'came from a Muslim' or 'a Christian' or 'an atheist.' It is anti-intellectual and counterproductive and an act of destruction to attack it.

Danoh

Yes, but I'm asking, regardless if Satan is the 'god of this world (age)' should we, for example vote against abortion? It is at least an expression of religious values. If you read the link I gave a moment ago, against the ACLU, they tried to have 'sentiments' removed simply because they recognized them as coming from a bible. That, imho is just dumb. You cannot be so against Muslim religion, for example, that you'd want "Spend your money for good: to help your parents, your family, orphans, wayfarers, and the needy." removed from any public or private institution. It is completely stupid to be against something just because it 'came from a Muslim' or 'a Christian' or 'an atheist.' It is anti-intellectual and counterproductive and an act of destruction to attack it.

I prefer the phrasing "an expression of faith" over the phrasing "an expression of religious values."

Biblical Judaism was a Religion (must do rituals).

Biblical Christianity is a faith (in Christ's finished work).

But no biggie, that is my preference.

But yours is an interesting question.

I vote Pro-Life. Partly because I always did as a secular person. But now also as a person of faith in Christ.

At the same time, "the right to bear arms" is a secular view.

I wholeheartedly hold to it.

But the Scripture teaches the Believer is to view him or herself as a lamb ever ready for the slaughter. And that wrath is to be God's.

I am well aware of the dichotomy.

I do not ignorantly assert otherwise - as the so called Right, I supposedly belong to does.

And I'm fine with that.

The ACLU?

At times I'd like to strangle them.

Other times I'm grateful they're around.

But they are of this world.

Their standard is of this world.

Both when great, and when not so great.

What can one expect from such - sympathy for "the things of God" or "sympathy for the Devil"?

Ya know what I mean?