What Happens in Purgatory? Tim Staples

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
By supplying a constant remedy for sin
The eternal sacrifice of Christ on the cross is the only "constant remedy for sin", not Purgatory.
, the initial Remedy for sin is pushed to the side and forgotten.
That might have been what happened with you, but it's possible to truly understand Purgatory and not use its existence as an excuse to sin.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Did Martin Luther accept or reject the existence of Purgatory?

Luther's beliefs on purgatory evolved over time. A quick search on the Internet will find people claiming he accepted purgatory, offering quotes to prove it, and others saying he rejected it, also offering quotes to prove it. As such, a thorough investigation into his belief during different time periods is warranted.

95 Theses

Any investigation into what Luther believed about purgatory, must start at the beginning of the Reformation - Luther's composition of 95 Theses against corruption in the Catholic Church in 1517. Among the 95 points, more than a dozen are about purgatory, including:

Hell, purgatory, and heaven seem to differ the same as despair, fear, and assurance of salvation. (#16)​
Furthermore, it does not seem proved, either by reason or by Scripture, that souls in purgatory are outside the state of merit, that is, unable to grow in love. (#18)​
As a matter of fact, the pope remits to souls in purgatory no penalty which, according to canon law, they should have paid in this life. (#22)​
They [the papacy] preach only human doctrines who say that as soon as the money clinks into the money chest, the soul flies out of purgatory. (#27)​
Who knows whether all souls in purgatory wish to be redeemed, since we have exceptions in St. Severinus and St. Paschal, as related in a legend. (#29)​

Luther is disagreeing on some points about the nature of purgatory and certain is condemning claims that people can buy a quick pass through of purgatory for the dead, but he is not doubting its existence in any way. It seems quite clear that he takes its existence for granted at that time. Indeed, in his own Explanation of the Ninety-five Theses, he said he was unsure of the exact nature of purgatory but affirmed "I am positive there is a purgatory."

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
The eternal sacrifice of Christ on the cross is the only "constant remedy for sin", not Purgatory.

That might have been what happened with you, but it's possible to truly understand Purgatory and not use its existence as an excuse to sin.

You are wasting your time with that one.

Right Divider

Body part
I guess as long as that's not what you meant ...

Of course if that's not what you meant, I don't understand the purpose of your post. You seemed to be trying to make a point, and if that wasn't your point I don't know what was.
The point is that Jesus Christ died for ALL of my sins (indeed, the SIN of the WHOLE WORLD). So I have NO SIN DEBT to pay. Christ PAID my debt.

That is what makes "purgatory" EVIL. It denies the death of Christ for SIN.

Last edited:

Hoping

Banned
As I said before, this is so simple that a child can understand it. Only the prideful and the heretic reject the Truth.
Would that be the truth Jesus said would free us from committing sin?
It is written..."And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. (John 8:32-34)
Servants of sin are not free.

Hoping

Banned
I would call it a cure and not a remedy, so after one is "in Christ" there is no way one can still commit sin
That might have been what happened with you,
?
but it's possible to truly understand Purgatory and not use its existence as an excuse to sin.
That is almost funny !!!
But so sad...

Idolater

Idolater

Find me a catholic that doesn't commit sin.
Hoping you commit sin.
Now days I tend to concentrate on my experiences since being made free.
Nice. How are you preaching the Gospel? Are you bringing new converts to church? Or does church-going not really figure in to your view of what it means to be a Christian?

Hoping

Banned
Hoping you commit sin.
That is a rather devilish hope.
Nice. How are you preaching the Gospel? Are you bringing new converts to church? Or does church-going not really figure in to your view of what it means to be a Christian?
I usually start with the availability of freedom from vice, and if the audience is interested will proceed to the words of Peter in Acts 2:38.
I have brought the interested to church.
And "being a Christian" certainly doesn't include sinning.
Sin is something the devilish do.
"In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." (1 John 3:10)

Hoping

Banned
You have committed multiple sins right here in this thread, lying, and falsely accusing the brethren.

1 John 1:8: If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

The truth is not in you.
1 John 1:8 isn't addressed to those who walk in the light, God.
It is addressed to those who walk in darkness, sin. (Pro 4:19)
1 John 1:7 is though..."But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

Those walking in darkness, sin, cannot say they have fellowship with God either. (1 John 1:6)
I thank God for supplying the way to walk in the light/God...
It is written..."And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." (1 John 2:3-6)

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
And now if we can get back on topic: What Happens in Purgatory?

Purgatory is a state of purification before heaven. But what exactly goes on there? We can't know every detail about it in this life, but the Bible does give us clues

What Happens in Purgatory? | Tim Staples | Catholic Answers Live

Idolater

That is a rather devilish hope.
Is it? Or is it just your stupid user name which you yourself don't even recognize when you see it, because it's a mischaracterization of you, even though you chose it.
I usually start with the availability of freedom from vice, and if the audience is interested will proceed to the words of Peter in Acts 2:38.
I have brought the interested to church.
And "being a Christian" certainly doesn't include sinning.
Sin is something the devilish do.
"In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." (1 John 3:10)
So you do go to church? And invite people to church with you? OK, well that's something. It's not nothing.

Idolater

And now if we can get back on topic: What Happens in Purgatory?

Purgatory is a state of purification before heaven. But what exactly goes on there? We can't know every detail about it in this life, but the Bible does give us clues

What Happens in Purgatory? | Tim Staples | Catholic Answers Live
The refiner's fire. Only pure gold is fit for Heaven, is all. And I doubt Purgatory will be much different from this life, it'll just take as long as it takes, to purge out all the dross from our personality and soul.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
The refiner's fire. Only pure gold is fit for Heaven, is all. And I doubt Purgatory will be much different from this life, it'll just take as long as it takes, to purge out all the dross from our personality and soul.

The best thing I ever heard is that Purgatory is the fire of God's love.

Hoping

Banned
Is it? Or is it just your stupid user name which you yourself don't even recognize when you see it, because it's a mischaracterization of you, even though you chose it.
Hoping I commit sin is a wish of the devil.
Why would you serve satan that way?
So you do go to church? And invite people to church with you? OK, well that's something. It's not nothing.

Hoping

Banned
Why wait till after you are dead?
Turn from sin now, and get reborn with a new nature.