What if Celebrites Run for President from here on?

Daniel1769

For all these years, Reagan was an anomaly for being an actor who was elected president, although Reagan was governor of California before he was President so he didn't step off of a movie set and become President. It always seems to have been assumed that a celebrity couldn't be elected president. They were there to cheer on a candidate who had to have experience in government and experience crafting policy. Celebrities couldn't actually win an election.

Trump proved that view to be wrong. The only good thing the Democrats could really try to say about Clinton is that she had experience working in government and that she was a policy wonk, etc. They thought that would help them to beat Trump, who had no experience holding public office. But Trump, a celebrity did win. And he wasn't a governor first. He stepped straight out of pop culture and became President.

So what if the Democrats see that and decide to run a celebrity in 4 or 8 years? Most of the big celebrities are Democrats so they could surely find one. If Democrats run George Clooney, Tom Hanks or some other big name celebrity, what happens then?

glassjester

That's what they said about Trump. A year ago, it was hard to imagine a celebrity winning the presidency. Now, it seems hard to imagine Marco Rubio beating George Clooney.

You said yourself "the only good thing" the Left could say about Clinton was that she had government experience.

If the Right picks a candidate whose only good point is seniority, than he'll lose, too. Just like Clinton did.

So, do you foresee the Right nominating such a candidate?

Daniel1769

You said yourself "the only good thing" the Left could say about Clinton was that she had government experience.

If the Right picks a candidate whose only good point is seniority, than he'll lose, too. Just like Clinton did.

So, do you foresee the Right nominating such a candidate?

I thought you meant the hypothetical Democrat celebrity would lose. I think if the GOP runs a politician and the Democrats run a celebrity, the celebrity wins. The Republicans don't seem to have many big celebrities. Not that are open Republicans anyway.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Combine celebrity status with someone who doesn't embrace traditional family values (i.e. Reagan, Trump) and you'll have a sure winner no matter which political party runs that candidate.

Yes, America has come to that.

quip

BANNED
Banned
So what if the Democrats see that and decide to run a celebrity in 4 or 8 years? Most of the big celebrities are Democrats so they could surely find one. If Democrats run George Clooney, Tom Hanks or some other big name celebrity, what happens then?

If Putin likes them...they'll be our next POTUS!

Daniel1769

Good question.

Do you think any other Democrat could have defeated Trump?

Probably, especially if they had run a big celebrity. I think the Democrats picked the only person that could get rolled over by Trump, and the Republicans picked the only person that wouldn't have had the election against Clinton wrapped up by the end of the summer. Both parties picked the only two that couldn't have had a clear and insurmountable lead over the other well before November.

glassjester

Probably, especially if they had run a big celebrity. I think the Democrats picked the only person that could get rolled over by Trump, and the Republicans picked the only person that wouldn't have had the election against Clinton wrapped up by the end of the summer. Both parties picked the only two that couldn't have had a clear and insurmountable lead over the other well before November.

Who knows. Our next election could be Lena Dunham vs. the Duck Dynasty guy.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
the bar was set low eight years ago when the country elected an unqualified, inexperienced man to the post based solely on the color of his skin

Quincy

While I'd prefer that a president have both military and gubernatorial experience, I suppose Tom Hanks would be better than a hypothetical Republican with a bad reputation, carrying similar baggage to Hillary Clinton.

Quincy

the bar was set low eight years ago when the country elected an unqualified, inexperienced man to the post

Agreed

based solely on the color of his skin

You had me until this :freak: . Do people always have to bring up skin pigment? While I appreciate and respect John McCain for his service, maybe Obama won because McCain and Palin were a terrible ticket on a horrible campaign. Maybe Obama just spoke eloquently enough to get people to believe in his version of change. After Obama was elected, the race thing resonated with a lot of people, sure but why ignore the obvious? Obama is well spoken and McCain and Palin, well, they were terrible.

Danoh

For all these years, Reagan was an anomaly for being an actor who was elected president, although Reagan was governor of California before he was President so he didn't step off of a movie set and become President. It always seems to have been assumed that a celebrity couldn't be elected president. They were there to cheer on a candidate who had to have experience in government and experience crafting policy. Celebrities couldn't actually win an election.

Trump proved that view to be wrong. The only good thing the Democrats could really try to say about Clinton is that she had experience working in government and that she was a policy wonk, etc. They thought that would help them to beat Trump, who had no experience holding public office. But Trump, a celebrity did win. And he wasn't a governor first. He stepped straight out of pop culture and became President.

Your above post appears as poorly researched and one-sided as every Trumper post on TOL (am well aware you are not a Trump lemming, by the way).

Arnold Shwarzennegar, Jesse Ventura, Clint Eastwood, Al Franken, Sonny Bono and other celebrities having held a political office have already answered the answer to your question.

The same is the case throughout the world:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actor-politicians