What if you consider arguments on Christianity and you are left with major doubt?

PureX

Faith is knowledge beyond proof.
No, it's not. Faith is trusting without the requisite knowledge.
Atheists need empirical evidence, …
They have it, but they refuse to acknowledge it. They are caught up in their personal bias, just as are many theists. Just as are we all, I suppose, to some degree.
Some people just don't want to believe in the Creator. Saint Augustine was a brilliant theologian and thinker, and he stated outright that there are many things science cannot explain which are nonetheless true ...
That's why we also have art, and philosophy, and religion, … and why we play games that mimic life.

Selaphiel

PureX said:
I agree that the church needs to be able to offer some sort of divine (transcendent) revelation. And I believe that it does. I also agree that Jesus' death on the cross is significant in part because he is characterized as having transcended it. Without that part of the story, he's just another dead preacher, and his message and example gets sort of stuck in his time and place.

The story of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection matter because it tells us that the ideals he presented to humanity, and the promises he made about them, are not stuck in the past, but are 'eternal'. And are as real and apropos to us today as they have ever been. Jesus is the embodiment of those divine ideals, and through them he has transcended his own mortality. Maybe not bodily, but in every other way that matters.

Without resurrection he would indeed just be another dead prophet. However, the cross is itself of vital importance with regards to revelation. It is not just as though he embodies ideal, he embodies the divine person. The claim is more radical, he is not just one who obeys ideals, but he is the face of God himself. He is the self-communication of the Father in trinitarian language. The cross is of vital importance, not just as a consequence of his ideals, but as revelation of this personality. The Creator and Judge of all creation is none other than the Jew from Nazareth being humiliated and killed on a cross, forgiving his enemies. The resurrection event then becomes the "yes, this is who I am" event.

So in the end, how DO we refrain from creating God in our own image?

I think we have to let God be God, and stop trying to define God. Stop trying to control God by our "compliance". And stop trying to 'own' God so we can dole God out to others, for a price (as the practice of 'organized religion'). Yet this is NOT what the current church is teaching. Nor is it what it's been doing. Sadly.

But what do you imply by saying "let God be God"? There is no more letting God be God outside of "organized religion", I think that that claimis a bit of a tired old myth.

What the church claims is that God revealed himself in Jesus Christ, that life and person defined who God is and He is alive today. The even more radical claim of the church is that He is embodied today, in the bread and the wine and the one body that forms from the sharing of the bread, the church. The Catholic theologian Alfred Loisy made a humorous comment, that is both funny and true (at least as Christian proclamation): "Jesus came proclaiming the kingdom , what we got was the Church".

The challenge of God the mystery is: How does it help? It very quickly becomes an abyss of absolute incomprehensibility. It reminds me of the old Greek aversion to infinity. Infinity literally means that without borders, which is dangerously close to being the same as nothing. Of course I'm not saying that this means that is false, but rather that such an incomprehensibility could be met with little other than either directionless awe or utter indifference.

I'm not claiming that we can know the essence of God, as far as I know no Christian thinker ever claimed such a thing But they do deny that nothing can be said of God. Christian theology has chosen the middle path between univocal and equivocal language about God, namely the doctrine of analogy. As in, there is a connection between human language of God in the form of archetype and ectype. Classical example being: "Man is good" and "God is THE good, that is the source of goodness itself".

Seems to me we error in the other direction, by defining God as reflections of ourselves, complete with all our character defects and flawed desires. I truly wish more of humanity would allow God to be more of a mystery, so as hopefully to engender some humility in us.

What character defects do you have in mind? You thinking about the wrath of God? If conceived correctly, I think the concept of divine wrath is fruitful. God's wrath is not other than his love or goodness, it is an absolute intolerance of evil, love can neither tolerate evil against the beloved, either in the form of destruction from the outside or self-destruction. It may at times be described in human ways in the Bible. But a careful reading of texts such as the prophets reveal a rather perplexing complexity of description. See for example the work of Abraham Joshua Heschel (the man in my avatar) on the prophets called "The Prophets", with his in-depth analysis of the divine pathos.

I don't think the church necessarily is failing at humility by claiming to know God in Christ. The church conceives of Christ as the revelation of who God is from God, it is something they have receieved and thus it could be thought of as a form of humility to accept that which is received. The church fails more often when it strays from this revelation than when they follow it. The temptation of the church is sometimes the "theology of glory", overly emphasizing the grandeur of God at the cost of the revelation of the crucified man who raises the lowly.

Last edited:

PureX

Without resurrection he would indeed just be another dead prophet. However, the cross is itself of vital importance with regards to revelation. It is not just as though he embodies ideal, he embodies the divine person. The claim is more radical …
I agree that is it. But we need to be very precise, and honest, in contemplating this revelation. And not let ourselves get carried away by simple-mindednsuperstitions, as so many tend to do.
... he is not just one who obeys ideals, but he is the face of God himself.
To be precise, he is the HUMAN face of God. He is not God en total. He is God's divine spirit expressed in human form. With human limitations. So that we can see for ourselves what a human being looks and acts and thinks like when we allow that divine spirit within us to meld with our spirit, as God intended.
He is the self-communication of the Father in trinitarian language. The cross is of vital importance, not just as a consequence of his ideals, but as revelation of this personality. The Creator and Judge of all creation is none other than the Jew from Nazareth being humiliated and killed on a cross, forgiving his enemies. The resurrection event then becomes the "yes, this is who I am" event.
Again, I agree entirely, and I do see this as the revelation of Christ, that the church can continue to offer to all succeeding generations. But I also still caution us all against simplistic superstitions that blind us to the true revelation, and trick people into thinking it's all about gaining "tickets to heaven" through obedience to religious proclamations and admonishments.
But what do you imply by saying "let God be God"?
In the story of Eden, in Genesis, mankind's first and primary sin was to assume unit himself, equality with God. And this assumption is represented by his ingesting into his mind and heart the presumed "knowledge of good and evil". And it is very clear that we are still consumed by this 'sin', to this day. As we humans stand in judgment over everything we encounter, as if we had created it all, and as if we are in charge of assessing it's spiritual value (good and evil). And because we do this so routinely, we end up destroying the "Eden" we were given, and toiling our lives away trying to 'correct' it according to our own selfish ideas of how it 'should have been' (how it should have served only us, according to our own liking).

So when I say "let God be God", I mean giving up that assumption that we are God's equals, and that we have the capacity to determine the good and evil of everything (and everyone) we survey. I mean letting God do that, as is God's prerogative. And admitting to ourselves that we are simply not capable of doing it wisely.

I mean doing what Jesus preached: suspending our presumption to pass judgment, and relating to others based on love, and forgiveness, and kindness and generosity, instead. Turning the other cheek. Not demanding an 'eye for an eye'. Removing the log in our own eyes BEFORE assessing the matter in someone else's. And so on.

We still do not do these things. And neither does the church. And in fact, it very often preaches the contrary, and then hides it's blasphemy behind all manner of religious superstition and blinding authoritarianism.
There is no more letting God be God outside of "organized religion", I think that that claimis a bit of a tired old myth.
That's absolute nonsense and you ought to be ashamed for even thinking it.
What the church claims is that God revealed himself in Jesus Christ, that life and person defined who God is and He is alive today. The even more radical claim of the church is that He is embodied today, in the bread and the wine and the one body that forms from the sharing of the bread, the church. The Catholic theologian Alfred Loisy made a humorous comment, that is both funny and true (at least as Christian proclamation): "Jesus came proclaiming the kingdom , what we got was the Church".
Sadly, this is the point where the metaphorical meaning too often becomes absurdly superstitious and 'magical', to the point of obscuring the true meaning from people. 'Magic' which the organized church has promoted for centuries to keep the population it was exploiting for wealth and power, under it's control. If we're going to discuss the role of the church relative to Christ, then let's do it honestly.
The challenge of God the mystery is: How does it help?
It clarifies the difference between faith and groundless presumption (pretense). Faith is trusting in something HOPED for. Pretense is blindly presuming that what we hope for is extant. The former is based on our humility, the latter is based on our arrogance. It may be a subtle distinction, to some, but it's ramifications are huge, as we live our lives accordingly.
It very quickly becomes an abyss of absolute incomprehensibility. It reminds me of the old Greek aversion to infinity. Infinity literally means that without borders, which is dangerously close to being the same as nothing. Of course I'm not saying that this means that is false, but rather that such an incomprehensibility could be met with little other than either directionless awe or utter indifference.
Welcome to the human condition, where everything about "God" becomes a paradox when we try to own it with our minds. Or at least it does if we are willing to be honest with ourselves about it. Pretending we know what we don't know is OK so long as we keep reminding ourselves that we are pretending. That our idea of God is just our idea of God. It's not the reality of God.

Like it or not, if we humans every want to grow up, we need to face and accept this aspect of our own limited reality. And let God be transcendent of us. Jesus was not God, and neither are we. Jesus was the HUMAN MANIFESTATION of God's Divine Spirit. That's what "Christ" is. That's what his being Christ, means. And that's what Christians should be aspiring to be, themselves. But none of this makes any of us God's equals.
I'm not claiming that we can know the essence of God, as far as I know no Christian thinker ever claimed such a thing. But they do deny that nothing can be said of God.
All sorts of things can be "said of God". But they are still all human conceptualizations being verbalized, and they are still all limited, and unproven. Because "God" transcends us.
Christian theology has chosen the middle path between univocal and equivocal language about God, namely the doctrine of analogy. As in, there is a connection between human language of God in the form of archetype and ectype. Classical example being: "Man is good" and "God is THE good, that is the source of goodness itself".
And this is all well and good, so long as we all understand, and remember, that our conceptualizations are only our conceptualizations. We (Christians) do not 'own God'. We do not possess any special authority or knowledge of God. God remains transcendent of us all.
I don't think the church necessarily is failing at humility by claiming to know God in Christ. The church conceives of Christ as the revelation of who God is from God, it is something they have receieved and thus it could be thought of as a form of humility to accept that which is received. The church fails more often when it strays from this revelation than when they follow it. The temptation of the church is sometimes the "theology of glory", overly emphasizing the grandeur of God at the cost of the revelation of the crucified man who raises the lowly.
The church lies when it claims that what it believes about Jesus and proclaims in Christ is "inside knowledge". Because it's not. It makes those claims because it wants to present itself as The Authority: the stand-in between God and mankind. The gatekeeper to the land of spiritual power, and to "heaven".

What the church can pass on is the story of Jesus, and the ideals that honest, humble, and intelligent humans have come to understand it as representing. And then offer those ideals to succeeding generations for trial (not as threats, or as currency to acquire magical prizes). Because when we try out these ideals for ourselves, their truth and value will become apparent.

Selaphiel

PureX said:
That's absolute nonsense and you ought to be ashamed for even thinking it.

No, it is not. Any mystic worth his or her salt arised within the context of a religion, be it Christian, Islamic or Buddhist mystics. The idea of the non-organized religion being superior is a myth based on undying American individualism.

Sadly, this is the point where the metaphorical meaning too often becomes absurdly superstitious and 'magical', to the point of obscuring the true meaning from people. 'Magic' which the organized church has promoted for centuries to keep the population it was exploiting for wealth and power, under it's control. If we're going to discuss the role of the church relative to Christ, then let's do it honestly.

That is all you see the church doing? Then I suggest you look again.

What exactly do you mean by metaphorical meaning? How is the the theology of the church superstitious? You are making a lot of claims here, but you haven't justified any of them.
And when you say superstitious, how much have you actually studied it before claiming that? (I assume to refer to such things as baptism and the eucharist).

Has the church abused its power at times and some places in history? Yes, they have. But you are seriously throwing out the baby with the bathwater if you dismiss the entire church and her teachings based on that.

Abusus non tollit usum.

It clarifies the difference between faith and groundless presumption (pretense). Faith is trusting in something HOPED for. Pretense is blindly presuming that what we hope for is extant. The former is based on our humility, the latter is based on our arrogance. It may be a subtle distinction, to some, but it's ramifications are huge, as we live our lives accordingly.

That is a definition of faith that is pretty far from a Christian understanding of faith, at least if you reduce it to only that. Faith is faithfulness, trust in a person. Faith in the Biblical contextn is related to covenant fidelity.

Jesus was not God, and neither are we.

The latter is orthodox, the former is tantamount to abandoning Christianity. That Jesus was the incarnation of God is the absolutely central teaching of Christianity.

Jesus was the HUMAN MANIFESTATION of God's Divine Spirit.That's what "Christ" is. That's what his being Christ, means. And that's what Christians should be aspiring to be, themselves. But none of this makes any of us God's equals.

What does that mean?

That symmetry does not exist in Christian scriptures. We are to be Christ like, but not literally becomes other Christs. A Christian is only Christ-like by participation in Christ, that is reconciled to God in Christ by the Spirit. Jesus is not merely a moral example to be imitated.

So when I say "let God be God", I mean giving up that assumption that we are God's equals, and that we have the capacity to determine the good and evil of everything (and everyone) we survey. I mean letting God do that, as is God's prerogative. And admitting to ourselves that we are simply not capable of doing it wisely.

Claiming to be able to say something about God is not the same as claiming that we are God's equals.

All sorts of things can be "said of God". But they are still all human conceptualizations being verbalized, and they are still all limited, and unproven. Because "God" transcends us.

And this is all well and good, so long as we all understand, and remember, that our conceptualizations are only our conceptualizations. We (Christians) do not 'own God'. We do not possess any special authority or knowledge of God. God remains transcendent of us all.

It does not follow that human language can say nothing true about God. The doctrine of analogy claims to say true things about God while at the same time recognizing transcendence. If you can say nothing true about God, then 'God' is not much but an empty concept, three letters stringed together meaning nothing.

The church lies when it claims that what it believes about Jesus and proclaims in Christ is "inside knowledge". Because it's not. It makes those claims because it wants to present itself as The Authority: the stand-in between God and mankind. The gatekeeper to the land of spiritual power, and to "heaven".

For someone preaching epistemological humility, you sure claim to know a whole lot about motivations of a rather large gathering of people, not only today but throughout 2000 years of history...

It claims that God is revealed in Christ, a particular human being at a particular time in a particular civilization. The church claims that because she believes it is true, the other motivations may or may not be true of some individuals, what most certainly is true is that you cannot possibly claim to know that the church as such is motivated by such sinister motives.

There is no less pride or arrogance in the individual spiritual seeker thinking himself superior to organized religion. So many of them only have absolutely shallow knowledge of what they dismiss as well, and thus they come off as someone who would build an idol based on their own preferences instead of being subject to correction and instruction from a long tradition.

What the church can pass on is the story of Jesus, and the ideals that honest, humble, and intelligent humans have come to understand it as representing. And then offer those ideals to succeeding generations for trial (not as threats, or as currency to acquire magical prizes). Because when we try out these ideals for ourselves, their truth and value will become apparent.

See now that is the true myth. There is nothing self-evident about Christian teachings, people in our culture only believe that because they happen to originate within a culture completely permeated by Judeo-Christian values.

The Christianization of the Roma empire lead to nothing short of a moral revolution. It took centuries before this revolution reached its potential, but even very early theologians (such as Gregory of Nyssa) argued against slavery. The reason that never got through is because in those societies it was very hard to imagine a society at all without the institution of slavery.

And what are the criteria for those tests? It is a lie that those ideals necessarily leads to "good things". The Christian story itself show where it lead, it lead to a cross, humiliation and execution. That it was true was established in the resurrection. For the followers it lead sometimes to martyrdom, sometimes to abuse and mockery. Glorification in Christ, damnation in the world.

My issue with much of the "let God be God" and "organized religion is stupid" movements is that is almost exclusively based on an absolutely shallow approach to theology and ecclesiology, substituted for spiritual consumerism. The same rings true for the same approaches to the other religions, like the insufferable 'mindfulness' movement in the West, which is more or less the desecration of the noble tradition of Buddhism.

PureX

No, it is not. Any mystic worth his or her salt arised within the context of a religion, be it Christian, Islamic or Buddhist mystics. The idea of the non-organized religion being superior is a myth based on undying American individualism.
I exist outside of organized religion and I am capable of letting God be God better than many religionists I know. And I also know I am not alone in this. So the assertion that one cannot live a humble and spiritual life outside of organized religion is absurd, and frankly, a little insulting.
That is all you see the church doing? Then I suggest you look again.
"All"? No, I didn't say that's "all" the church is doing. Please lets not get lost in unnecessary and pointless absolutes or extremes.
What exactly do you mean by metaphorical meaning? How is the the theology of the church superstitious? You are making a lot of claims here, but you haven't justified any of them.
One of the reasons I wanted to have this discussion was that I thought you were illuminating the subtle but deeper conceptual nuances of the story of Jesus and the revelation of Christ. And not just spouting off "supernatural" religious mythology as if it were objective fact.

I am agreeing with your articulation of the gospel so long as I feel that you understand that we aren't talking about performing supernatural feats of magic, or divine human beings with super-powers, here. The wafer is not the physical body of Jesus, it's a piece of bread being used as a ritual metaphor for the spirit of Christ. As we ingest the bread, we are symbolically taking in the spirit of Christ that it represents. The wine is not Jesus' blood, but again, a physical metaphor for our relationship to God through Christ. As we drink the wine, we remind ourselves of our divine lineage, as the creations of God.

And likewise, Jesus' arising from the dead is not a supernatural feat that physically happened so much as it's a symbolic metaphor for what can happen for us all, spiritually, if we take the revelation of Christ into our hearts, minds, and souls.

It's this dwelling on supernatural feats of magic, and the promises of more of them that distracts us and obscures these deeper, more practical truths of the gospel revelation. And organized religion is guilty of promoting these superstitions to the neglect of the true miracle of healing that's being offered us, though Christ. And why? Because it furthers their distinctly less-than-divine agenda. Not always, of course, but often enough to be fairly endemic.
Has the church abused its power at times and some places in history? Yes, they have. But you are seriously throwing out the baby with the bathwater if you dismiss the entire church and her teachings based on that.
No, I'm not. I'm simply pointing out that organized religion does the revelation of Christ as much harm as it does good.
That is a definition of faith that is pretty far from a Christian understanding of faith, at least if you reduce it to only that. Faith is faithfulness, trust in a person. Faith in the Biblical contextn is related to covenant fidelity.
If you can't let go of the "person" of Jesus as being anything more the imaginary individual that you carry in your mind after having read the story of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, then we probably have little to discuss, here. Because I'm not particularly interested in debating respective imaginary personalities and their supernatural abilities. I'm more interested in the personhood of Jesus as an archetypal ideal for all of humanity. How, through the 'personhood' of Jesus, God reveals the spirit with which we are intended to become one.
The latter is orthodox, the former is tantamount to abandoning Christianity. That Jesus was the incarnation of God is the absolutely central teaching of Christianity.
"Incarnation of God"? Who here can claim to even know what that really means? Let alone claim to know that it's so? Let's say Jesus is the human manifestation of the Divine Spirit that we humans call "God"? Humans are not gods, and Jesus was human. So Jesus was not God. He was the human manifestation/exemplification of God's spirit. Let's try to be specific and leave out the magical thinking as best we can.
What does that mean?
We don't know what spirit is, exactly. An essential motivation of some sort? A kind of energy that controls the nature and character of our consciousness? Impetus, itself? But here's what it's not: an invisible man.
That symmetry does not exist in Christian scriptures. We are to be Christ like, but not literally become other Christs.
Just as Jesus was God-like, but was not actually God. Sounds pretty symmetriculous to me! ;)
Jesus is not merely a moral example to be imitated.
I agree. He's an ideological archetype. It's big and significant difference.
Claiming to be able to say something about God is not the same as claiming that we are God's equals.
We can say anything we want to about anything we want to. But that doesn't make our claims, true. And neither does our claiming that our claims are true. So why don't we just stop wasting everyone's time and energy and stop making such claims about something that we all admit transcends us? That doesn't mean we can't share our perceptions, and conjectures, about it. It just means we stop trying to pretend that we can (and do) know that we're right.
It does not follow that human language can say nothing true about God.
Of course not. What follows is that we can't know if what we say about God is true or not. We can want it to be true. We can hope it's true. We can trust that it's true and live as if it's true. But we can't know it's true. Because God transcends our knowledge.
The doctrine of analogy claims to say true things about God while at the same time recognizing transcendence.
And my friend Steve likes to have his cake and eat it, too. Yet the more of it he eats, the less it he has.
For someone preaching epistemological humility, you sure claim to know a whole lot about motivations of a rather large gathering of people, not only today but throughout 2000 years of history…
I'm an observant fellow. Especially of human motivations as they show through our decisions/actions. It's the artist in me. To an artist, everything man a does is a recording of his spirit's intent: of his state of being when he did it. It's a fundamental tenet of modern art.
It claims that God is revealed in Christ, a particular human being at a particular time in a particular civilization. The church claims that because she believes it is true, the other motivations may or may not be true of some individuals, what most certainly is true is that you cannot possibly claim to know that the church as such is motivated by such sinister motives.
If you can conceive of and refer to the church "she", I can assess her motives, through her actions. Neither are that difficult.
There is no less pride or arrogance in the individual spiritual seeker thinking himself superior to organized religion.
Thinking that an individual can do some things better than an organized collection of individuals can is not assuming that the individual is of superior value. It's just an observation based on common sense. All human organizations have enormous flaws, including human religious organizations. Many of those flaws can be overcome by an individual more quickly and effectively than they can be overcome by organized collections of individuals because the collective multiplies the complexity, and the confusion, that then has to be overcome to harness and focus the will to change, collectively.
There is nothing self-evident about Christian teachings, people in our culture only believe that because they happen to originate within a culture completely permeated by Judeo-Christian values.
You don't think people living in Judeo-Christian cultures experience love? And express that love through forgiveness, kindness, and generosity toward others? You don't think that when they do so, in their respective cultures, that they find themselves being healed, spiritually, by this love expressed? Or that this love expressed may be helping to heal others, too? I do. I think it's a universal experience. Because the revelation of Christ is not limited, contained, or constrained by any culture or religion. The truth of Christ is everywhere, and is available for anyone to discern, so long as they're willing to allow themselves to be motivated by love, in all things.
It is a lie that those ideals necessarily leads to "good things". The Christian story itself show where it lead, it lead to a cross, humiliation and execution. That it was true was established in the resurrection. For the followers it lead sometimes to martyrdom, sometimes to abuse and mockery. Glorification in Christ, damnation in the world.
The choice is ours. Love will lead us to healing and salvation, if we will let it lead us there. If not, we will destroy ourselves and each other in a frenzy of fear, and selfishness, and the destruction that always results. That's the bottom line, like it or not. Everything else is just luck. Maybe I'll get lucky, and manage to live a charmed life even as a selfish prick. It happens every day. Or maybe I'll be eaten alive no matter how loving I am. That happens every day, too. But if we want to take control of our lives, and take responsibility for our selves, we're going to have to choose: between living via love; forgiveness, kindness, trust and generosity, or living via fear; anger, resentment, mistrust and selfishness. When we choose the former, we choose Christ. When we choose the latter, we choose annihilation. It is up to us.

And we choose as individuals, but we are also choosing as a collective, too, … like it or not. Because we are all in this, together. Our choices effect everyone else. And their choices effect us.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A brief interjection...
...Jesus' arising from the dead is not a supernatural feat that physically happened so much as it's a symbolic metaphor for what can happen for us all, spiritually, if we take the revelation of Christ into our hearts, minds, and souls.
The devil is in the "so much as".

"Incarnation of God"? Who here can claim to even know what that really means? Let alone claim to know that it's so? Let's say Jesus is the human manifestation of the Divine Spirit that we humans call "God"? Humans are not gods, and Jesus was human. So Jesus was not God.
And that, friend Pure, is why no matter how you label yourself you will, so long as you hold that article of faith, be no more a Christian than I would be a race horse if I dubbed myself Secretariat.

He was the human manifestation/exemplification of God's spirit. Let's try to be specific and leave out the magical thinking as best we can.
If you hold the least glimmer of something willfully transcending the mechanism of our existence as true then the difference between you and a snake handling evangelical is on the order of the genetic distinction between a black man and a white man.

...God transcends our knowledge.
To repeat something from a while ago, a man who can't fathom physics can still add and subtract and in that understand a mathematical truth, understand something real about it.

Interesting conversation you two have going. :e4e:

Selaphiel

PureX said:
I exist outside of organized religion and I am capable of letting God be God better than many religionists I know. And I also know I am not alone in this. So the assertion that one cannot live a humble and spiritual life outside of organized religion is absurd, and frankly, a little insulting.

It was you who one sidedly dismissed organized religion, I did not dismiss all individualist religion.

One of the reasons I wanted to have this discussion was that I thought you were illuminating the subtle but deeper conceptual nuances of the story of Jesus and the revelation of Christ. And not just spouting off "supernatural" religious mythology as if it were objective fact.

You speak of arrogance in relation to the church. But honestly, how much theological exposition have you read on these mysteries before coming to this conclusion? Have you read the fathers of the church or any systematic theology on the subject? Of course all believers dont have to do that, but if you are going to make such grand dismissals, you better know what you are talking about.

I have not claimed it was objective fact, I've claimed that it is the Christian teaching.

I am agreeing with your articulation of the gospel so long as I feel that you understand that we aren't talking about performing supernatural feats of magic, or divine human beings with super-powers, here. The wafer is not the physical body of Jesus, it's a piece of bread being used as a ritual metaphor for the spirit of Christ. As we ingest the bread, we are symbolically taking in the spirit of Christ that it represents. The wine is not Jesus' blood, but again, a physical metaphor for our relationship to God through Christ. As we drink the wine, we remind ourselves of our divine lineage, as the creations of God.

What are you basing this on?

Through the bread, we participate in the body of Christ (not a biological body, but a body nonetheless). The words of institution of the bread is: "This is my body which is given for you" not "This is my Spirit". Of course you can dismiss the words of institution, but then it rather begs the question what value the sacrament has at all.

The wine is not about our relationship to God through Christ, that would be closer to the bread. Once again, the words of institution: "This cup is the New Testament in my blood, shed for you for the forgiveness of sins". Pretty hard to interpret that statement in terms symbolizing relationship to God. This language is unmistakenly biblical covenental language, referring to the new covenant of Jeremiah 31, the covenant of gathering of nations under the God of Israel. This is how the church understood the meal, as participation in the body and blood of Christ, his body being the body gathered around the bread, the body of the new covenant in his blood which was shed for the forgiveness of sins.

What the church affirms is that Christ is present in the bread and wine. That is not magic, it is a sacramental union, the work of the Spirit, which is why it is instituted by an epicletic prayer.

You can deny that if you want, but that is the meaning and purpose of the eucharistic meal.

And likewise, Jesus' arising from the dead is not a supernatural feat that physically happened so much as it's a symbolic metaphor for what can happen for us all, spiritually, if we take the revelation of Christ into our hearts, minds, and souls.

What does that mean?

There aren't just two options: Physical revivification or symbolism. A minimum position for this to have any continuity with Christianity must be that Christ as a person was raised and lives on as a subject that can be encountered, Christ is an everlasting personality, that is he is God himself.

"Incarnation of God"? Who here can claim to even know what that really means? Let alone claim to know that it's so? Let's say Jesus is the human manifestation of the Divine Spirit that we humans call "God"? Humans are not gods, and Jesus was human. So Jesus was not God. He was the human manifestation/exemplification of God's spirit. Let's try to be specific and leave out the magical thinking as best we can.

How is it anymore magical than claiming that he was the "exemplification of the divine spirit"? The Christian creed is that Jesus Christ was fully man and fully God, two natures in one person. If you are curious, go read the Christological discussions surrounding the councils that defined it. I can assure you that it is no mere appeal to magic. Whatever you think of their conclusions, you cannot claim that they did not seriously think the issue through.

We don't know what spirit is, exactly. An essential motivation of some sort? A kind of energy that controls the nature and character of our consciousness? Impetus, itself? But here's what it's not: an invisible man.

Who has made the absurd claim that Spirit is an invisble man?

Just as Jesus was God-like, but was not actually God. Sounds pretty symmetriculous to me!

God-like? So a pagan beach guru god, like Thor was a god? More interestingly, how do you make the evaluation that anyone was God-like without making quite a few postulates about who and what God is?

We can say anything we want to about anything we want to. But that doesn't make our claims, true. And neither does our claiming that our claims are true. So why don't we just stop wasting everyone's time and energy and stop making such claims about something that we all admit transcends us? That doesn't mean we can't share our perceptions, and conjectures, about it. It just means we stop trying to pretend that we can (and do) know that we're right.

Because a concept without content is absolutely meaningless.

Of course not. What follows is that we can't know if what we say about God is true or not. We can want it to be true. We can hope it's true. We can trust that it's true and live as if it's true. But we can't know it's true. Because God transcends our knowledge.

The problem is that what you call God is nothing but a sound coming out of your mouth or scribbles on a page. If the word refers to nothing, then it is meaningless.

And my friend Steve likes to have his cake and eat it, too. Yet the more of it he eats, the less it he has.

I don't think you understand analogical language. It claims that the claim "God is good" is analogical to the claim "Steve is good". That is Steve is good in a limited way, God is supremely good as in being the source of goodness itself. That is, God is the archetype of good, Steve is a limited image of God's goodness, an ectype.

I'm an observant fellow. Especially of human motivations as they show through our decisions/actions. It's the artist in me. To an artist, everything man a does is a recording of his spirit's intent: of his state of being when he did it. It's a fundamental tenet of modern art.

That would require a monstrous study of the church's 2000 year old history for it to have any validity at all. Have you done this?

If you can conceive of and refer to the church "she", I can assess her motives, through her actions. Neither are that difficult.

Me using a pronoun and you discerning the spirit of an institution that spans 2000 years is the same thing?

Thinking that an individual can do some things better than an organized collection of individuals can is not assuming that the individual is of superior value. It's just an observation based on common sense. All human organizations have enormous flaws, including human religious organizations. Many of those flaws can be overcome by an individual more quickly and effectively than they can be overcome by organized collections of individuals because the collective multiplies the complexity, and the confusion, that then has to be overcome to harness and focus the will to change, collectively.

Well, that is a profoundly one sided analysis if I ever saw one. Human cooperation, peer review and organized discussions have not exactly been insignifcant in human cultural evolution. Organizations have flaws, so does individuals. An organization or cooperation can give resistance when one person thinks he or she has grasped it all, by offering other perspectives and discussing it. Which is why the church determined its teachings by councils rather than the unilateral decision of an individual. And the councils did indeed argue, most of the defined doctrines are middle positions of the various positions that were present at the councils.

You don't think people living in Judeo-Christian cultures experience love? And express that love through forgiveness, kindness, and generosity toward others? You don't think that when they do so, in their respective cultures, that they find themselves being healed, spiritually, by this love expressed? Or that this love expressed may be helping to heal others, too? I do. I think it's a universal experience.

Christian love is not an experience or feeling. If that was the case, the call to love your enemy would be an absolute contradiction. It is not a call to have good feelings about your enemy, it is a call to act in your enemy's benefit, with their well being in mind, despite your feelings. It is agape love.

I think people are excellent at loving their friends, families and kinsfolk. They are generally horrible at extending it beyond that. In fact, loving your enemy was a vice in most ancient cultures, even in Hebrew culture: "Love your neighbor, hate your enemy". A command that the Romans could certainly get behind.

he choice is ours. Love will lead us to healing and salvation, if we will let it lead us there. If not, we will destroy ourselves and each other in a frenzy of fear, and selfishness, and the destruction that always results. That's the bottom line, like it or not. Everything else is just luck. Maybe I'll get lucky, and manage to live a charmed life even as a selfish prick. It happens every day. Or maybe I'll be eaten alive no matter how loving I am. That happens every day, too.

Which is why Christianity realized the necessity of eschatological judgment and restoration. Do you deny the eschaton as well? The resurrection of the dead in new creation? Is that too much magic as well?

If there is no resurrection of the dead, then it doesn't really matter what anyone chooses. The words of Ecclesiastes would be the final truth:

It is the same for all. There is one fate for the righteous and for the wicked; for the good, for the clean and for the unclean; for the man who offers a sacrifice and for the one who does not sacrifice. As the good man is, so is the sinner; as the swearer is, so is the one who is afraid to swear.

This is an evil in all that is done under the sun, that there is one fate for all men. Furthermore, the hearts of the sons of men are full of evil and insanity is in their hearts throughout their lives. Afterwards they go to the dead.

For whoever is joined with all the living, there is hope; surely a live dog is better than a dead lion.
Ecclesiastes 9:2-4

For surely a live dog is better than a dead lion. Those words would be the principle to live by if there are indeed no final guarantee of meaning. Of course the live dogs were put to shame when the dead lion was raised in glory.

If God is some incomprehensible absolute of which nothing can be said (although you make the dogmatic claim that his spirit is somehow manifested in Christ, seem you be making an exception for yourself there), what possible value does belief in God have? What is it a belief in?

Nietzsche is another suggested read. He understood very well the particularity of Christianity and the moral change it had caused. The difference was that he despised it, thought it was "the sheep complaining about the way of the hawk". The love which you claim is a universal experience was nothing but weakness to him, Christian love was nihilism. It was standing in the way of true nobility. The only thing more sad than the Christians to him, were the humanists who thought they could keep the slave morality of Christianity while dismissing its ontological claims.

I think you need to stop thinking that all the church does is just magic and superstition, while your own religious thought is the rational expression of the self-evident. The church has its sacraments, but sacraments are not magic, it is not the priest who conjures forth something out of his own worth, it is the work of the Spirit by the grace of God. There is a tactile anti-materialism in your criticism there, that the material is beneath of containing the divine. Also keep in mind that the same church produced the universities of Europe, it hosted the philosophical developments of the most sophisticated variety that laid the groundwork of modern science. In short, the church is the mother of a rather great intellectual tradition that formed our civilization. Sure, there have been problems and superstition, but it is an error to dismiss the best expressions together with the worst ones.

The challenge of theology today is not to dismiss the sacraments or the idea that Christ is the incarnation of God. It is to make a philosophical theology, where the doctrines of God and creation take the cosmology revealed by modern science seriously and does it justice, while maintaining the core Christian doctrines.

Last edited:

Selaphiel

Of course, in these posts I argue a point of view that is rather Barthian in its orientation, a strong focus on the revelatory content of Christianity.

I'm aware of the dangers of that approach, and it is something I utilize to balance out a more "from below approach" (that is from human experience) that I am a bigger fan of. But to deny that Christianity reveals anything is the same as denying Christianity. Christ does in fact claim to reveal the Father and he claims the unity of the church with himself, guided by the Spirit. There is a difference when talking within the church and outside the church on this matter. Obviously a purely philosophical theology (although I'm uncertain if there is such a thing) cannot bind itself by appealing to "from above approaches". But the church claims revelation, it is the very nature of the church. And personally I think the philosophical approach to God, while interesting and necessary in its own right, ends up in an impoverished theology, too barren and abstract on its own.

But I would no less emphasize the importance of actually daring to say something about God using a "from below approach" as well.

It has nothing to do with arrogance or lack of humility. It is recognizing the fact that that which nothing can be said about is simply an abyss. It might be real, but then it has no relationship to created reality.

Just as there is sin in claiming to grasp God completely, there is sin in claiming not to be able to say anything as well. It is the sin of guarding oneself from committing to anything, because there is no normative power in the absolutely incomprehensible.

Interplanner

The Scriptures are true but not exhaustive. Some people come to them expecting them to be exhaustively true. There is a mission or task embedded in them, and they are only concerned with getting that mission accomplished.

PureX

And that, friend Pure, is why no matter how you label yourself you will, so long as you hold that article of faith, be no more a Christian than I would be a race horse if I dubbed myself Secretariat.
Fortunately for me, and for everyone, your proclamations about what a Christian has to believe to be a Christians are of little concern to anyone but you. Just as such proclamations from me would be of little concern to anyone but me.
If you hold the least glimmer of something willfully transcending the mechanism of our existence as true then the difference between you and a snake handling evangelical is on the order of the genetic distinction between a black man and a white man.
Let's see … so the further away we move the viewer, the closer together the objects being viewed, appear. I get it. But so what?
To repeat something from a while ago, a man who can't fathom physics can still add and subtract and in that understand a mathematical truth, understand something real about it.
And yet that understanding remains profoundly incomplete, and therefor unverifiable beyond the few relative facts available to him.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Fortunately for me, and for everyone, your proclamations about what a Christian has to believe to be a Christians are of little concern to anyone but you.
Except that it isn't "my" proclamations, Pure. Only one of us is attempting to rewrite the book and I"m not he. Or, it's a concern to Protestants and Catholics everywhere and always has been. It was important to Paul, who had to fight his share of people attempting to reinvent the tent right at the start of things. It was important to Jesus, who asked Peter a rather direct question on the point.

Why is it important? Because without that literal deity Jesus is something less than Christ and incapable of accomplishing the actual point of his mission, which wasn't to show us how wonderful it would be if everyone was kind and good, though he mostly was kind and was always good. That's the cart, not the horse. And the cart isn't going to take you anywhere you can't get on your own. In fact, you'd do better to get off of it and walk if that's as far as it goes.

Just as such proclamations from me would be of little concern to anyone but me.
Look, you can call yourself a Republican and espouse the virtues of Marx, but don't take it as a personal attack when someone points out a disparity.

Let's see … so the further away we move the viewer, the closer together the objects being viewed, appear. I get it. But so what?
So you have a habit of heaping a great deal of disdain upon the heads of people who are proponents of orthodox faith. But the difference between you isn't a belief in "magic". Unless you're secretly draping atheism in the robes of the mystical you're just espousing a different sort of "magic" at the root of existence.

re: you don't have to understand every part to understand any
And yet that understanding remains profoundly incomplete, and therefor unverifiable beyond the few relative facts available to him.
It works when he balances his checkbook, recalls a birthday or or how to contact someone with a phone. That may not impress a physicist, but who really needs to do that? The point actually being, of course, that unless you set a goal you know can't be met (encompassing the totality of X) then there's no real complaint and no reason to abandon your checkbook, calendar or phone because you can't quite get your head around String Theory.

Zeke

So the next question becomes what do you do when you reach this impasse?

It is something that I pray about often and I go to Church. I feel a need for Jesus, but that doesn't make the accounts physically real. It's something that I have thought about intensely for a long time, whereas I wish I could have resolution and move on.

The teacher will arrive when the pupil is ready for that particular lesson to be taught, A clue given by past Spiritual Sages. Our views should progress through the building of our temple from the rudimentary reliance on outward examples/maps for the inward construction going on inside of us, portrayed in timeless allegories/symbolic motifs that intellectually escape detection when time stamped and idolized.

The conscience maze of this temporal existence is based on the minds programming/deception to be distracted and controlled by/through emotional triggers/switches ruled by outward Kings and Queens that make the rules that decide our artificial fate in their kingdom, if we except the illusions of temporal as eternal then the mind stays a slave to them.

PureX

You speak of arrogance in relation to the church. But honestly, how much theological exposition have you read on these mysteries before coming to this conclusion? Have you read the fathers of the church or any systematic theology on the subject? Of course all believers dont have to do that, but if you are going to make such grand dismissals, you better know what you are talking about.
The problem with this argument is that the people you are referring to are not "the church". They are only a very tiny fraction of it that the vast majority of the rest of it is completely unaware of. And so, upon which, they have no effect.

I didn't think I would have to qualify my statements about a subject as vast as "the church" as generalizations. I assumed that would be understood.
I have not claimed it was objective fact, I've claimed that it is the Christian teaching.
It's the liturgy of the Catholic church. That doesn't make it a bylaw of all Christianity.
Through the bread, we participate in the body of Christ (not a biological body, but a body nonetheless). The words of institution of the bread is: "This is my body which is given for you" not "This is my Spirit". Of course you can dismiss the words of institution, but then it rather begs the question what value the sacrament has at all.
I believe your interpretation is incorrect in that you are seeing only a minor aspect of the metaphor. Yes, the congregants "participate" in the ritual as a "body", but that's not the main meaning of the ritual. The main meaning is the ingesting (taking into ourselves) of the "body of Christ". And Christ is God's divine spirit become flesh (expressed in a human form). And THAT is what we are symbolically taking into ourselves through the ritual: God's spirit in human form. To remind us and to make it clear to us that we are, like Jesus, also manifestations of God's spirit in human form.
The wine is not about our relationship to God through Christ, that would be closer to the bread. Once again, the words of institution: "This cup is the New Testament in my blood, shed for you for the forgiveness of sins". Pretty hard to interpret that statement in terms symbolizing relationship to God. This language is unmistakenly biblical covenental language, referring to the new covenant of Jeremiah 31, the covenant of gathering of nations under the God of Israel. This is how the church understood the meal, as participation in the body and blood of Christ, his body being the body gathered around the bread, the body of the new covenant in his blood which was shed for the forgiveness of sins.
Biblically speaking, it's difficult to deny the importance of blood lineage, especially when Jesus came along and referred to God as "father". And this, in a culture completely dominated and defined by clan patriarchy. For us to symbolically ingest Jesus' blood, to become mixed with our own, is to make ourselves members of his clan, with God as our patriarch.

Sadly, the church later turned to focus on the forgiveness of sins because it became their stock in trade: the threat of eternal damnation resolved by the forgiveness of sins, purchased through obedience to their religious dogma.
What the church affirms is that Christ is present in the bread and wine. That is not magic, it is a sacramental union, the work of the Spirit, which is why it is instituted by an epicletic prayer.
It's absurdly magical thinking that even the smallest degree of common sense would detect. What it is, is replacing deep metaphorical meaning with childish superstitions. Because keeping people frightened and ignorant makes them a lot easier to control. (Just look at modern U.S. politics!)
There aren't just two options: Physical revivification or symbolism. A minimum position for this to have any continuity with Christianity must be that Christ as a person was raised and lives on as a subject that can be encountered, Christ is an everlasting personality, that is he is God himself.
All of this is true, ideologically. And none of this ideology requires the defiance of physical reality, or the pretense of knowledge that we don't possess. All it requires is faith: trusting in a hoped for unknown.
How is it anymore magical than claiming that he was the "exemplification of the divine spirit"?
Because being the exemplification of divine spirit does not defy the laws of physics.
The Christian creed is that Jesus Christ was fully man and fully God, two natures in one person.
That isn't logically possible. If you don't want to see that there is no point in continuing this aspect of our discussion. There is no point to Jesus' life, death, and resurrection if he was a god. It's just a charade. Play-acting to make us feel guilty for "killing him" and then grateful for being forgiven for it (when, of course, we never could have killed him in the first place) .

But if Jesus was a man, then there is a great lesson in his life, death, and resurrection: as a spiritual archetype, and hope, for ourselves.
God-like? So a pagan beach guru god, like Thor was a god? More interestingly, how do you make the evaluation that anyone was God-like without making quite a few postulates about who and what God is?
Please stop trying not to understand, you're smarter then that.

I post this:

"We can say anything we want to about anything we want to. But that doesn't make our claims, true. And neither does our claiming that our claims are true. So why don't we just stop wasting everyone's time and energy and stop making such claims about something that we all admit transcends us? That doesn't mean we can't share our perceptions, and conjectures, about (God). It just means we stop trying to pretend that we can know that we're right.

… and you posted this:

Because a concept without content is absolutely meaningless.

Your response, here, makes no sense in relation to my comment. So I'm skipping on ...
Well, that is a profoundly one sided analysis if I ever saw one. Human cooperation, peer review and organized discussions have not exactly been insignifcant in human cultural evolution. Organizations have flaws, so does individuals. An organization or cooperation can give resistance when one person thinks he or she has grasped it all, by offering other perspectives and discussing it. Which is why the church determined its teachings by councils rather than the unilateral decision of an individual. And the councils did indeed argue, most of the defined doctrines are middle positions of the various positions that were present at the councils.
The special problem with institutional flaws in relation to religion is that religion is ultimately an individual course and experience. The institutions keep trying to create a 'one-size-fits-all' ideology for people who ultimately need to develop their own, each according to their individual natures and circumstances.

Also, the prime directive of any organized institution will be to maintain it's own integrity, so as to continue it's own existence. Which makes it the enemy of the individuality of those within it. Which is a huge problem when such organization is applied to a religion based on personal spirituality.
Christian love is not an experience or feeling. If that was the case, the call to love your enemy would be an absolute contradiction. It is not a call to have good feelings about your enemy, it is a call to act in your enemy's benefit, with their well being in mind, despite your feelings. It is agape love.
Love that is not experienced is just an idea that never leaves the mind. Love that is not felt is also just an idea that never leaves the mind. And loving our enemies is only a contradiction when we are living in fear and selfishness. That's why Jesus admonished us to love them. Because he understood that love can conquer our fear and selfishness. And perhaps the fear and selfishness of our 'enemies', too.
Which is why Christianity realized the necessity of eschatological judgment and restoration. Do you deny the eschaton as well? The resurrection of the dead in new creation? Is that too much magic as well?
There is much we cannot know as we are limited human beings. I don't "deny" that which I cannot know to begin with. I don't deny Jesus' physical resurrection. I was not there, and so I cannot know what happened. But I'm also not going to deny the unlikelihood of it, based on what I do know here and now. Because that would be dishonest.
If there is no resurrection of the dead, then it doesn't really matter what anyone chooses.
That's sociopathic nonsense. It matters to all of us what we do in this life because what we do effects all of us. We will live together in love, or we will die together in fear and selfishness. Once this is made clear to us, few of us will choose death.
If God is some incomprehensible absolute of which nothing can be said (although you make the dogmatic claim that his spirit is somehow manifested in Christ, seem you be making an exception for yourself there), what possible value does belief in God have? What is it a belief in?
Please read comments more carefully and stop grossly mischaracterizing what I wrote!

The value of our belief in God depends on the God we choose to believe in. If we choose to believe in a God that thinks just like we think (as many do) then I suppose the value is in always being "right by God". If we choose to believe in a God that judges and condemns all mankind, unless they perform the right rituals and obey the right laws, then I guess the value is in performing the right rituals and obeying the right laws and knowing that you'll be saved from eternal damnation. If believing in God means believing that God controls every circumstance in your life, and that you are powerless in all things and in all ways, then I guess the value of that belief is that you never have to take responsibility for anything that happens to you, or that you do to others.

And on and on it goes. There are many God-beliefs, each being tailored by the believer.

I believe in a loving and forgiving God because I need to believe that life is offering me a choice as to how I will live it and who I will become as a result. Not because I'll be saved from damnation, and not because I'll be rewarded in 'heaven', but because believing this makes my life better, here and now. And then I, in turn, can help to make the lives of others, better. And that has value for me.

I can't prove God is what I choose to believe God is. But I don't really care. Because like everyone else who believes in God, I get the value I seek from that belief. So I hold onto it.

What value are you seeking through your belief in God? To overcome death? To gain a magical cure for you or someone you live? To see the divine destruction of those you hate, or that hate you? To prove to yourself how righteous you are, so you won't have to fear ever being "wrong"? These are all common values derived from the belief in "God". Everyone is getting something they want from it.
The challenge of theology today is not to dismiss the sacraments or the idea that Christ is the incarnation of God. It is to make a philosophical theology, where the doctrines of God and creation take the cosmology revealed by modern science seriously and does it justice, while maintaining the core Christian doctrines.
The challenge is and has always been to "get real" about God. Stop using God as our auto-defense and auto-justification for whatever we happen to be thinking and feeling. Let's let this idea of God challenge us to be wiser and kinder people. Let's challenge the church good and proper! It's a big, fat, self-aggrandizing institution that deserves to be challenged, constantly. Because like all institutions, left unchallenged, it will NEVER change or grow. And it become just another anchor around the neck of humanity.

PureX

Of course, in these posts I argue a point of view that is rather Barthian in its orientation, a strong focus on the revelatory content of Christianity.

I'm aware of the dangers of that approach, and it is something I utilize to balance out a more "from below approach" (that is from human experience) that I am a bigger fan of. But to deny that Christianity reveals anything is the same as denying Christianity. Christ does in fact claim to reveal the Father and he claims the unity of the church with himself, guided by the Spirit. There is a difference when talking within the church and outside the church on this matter. Obviously a purely philosophical theology (although I'm uncertain if there is such a thing) cannot bind itself by appealing to "from above approaches". But the church claims revelation, it is the very nature of the church. And personally I think the philosophical approach to God, while interesting and necessary in its own right, ends up in an impoverished theology, too barren and abstract on its own.

But I would no less emphasize the importance of actually daring to say something about God using a "from below approach" as well.

It has nothing to do with arrogance or lack of humility. It is recognizing the fact that that which nothing can be said about is simply an abyss. It might be real, but then it has no relationship to created reality.

Just as there is sin in claiming to grasp God completely, there is sin in claiming not to be able to say anything as well. It is the sin of guarding oneself from committing to anything, because there is no normative power in the absolutely incomprehensible.
We agree far more than we disagree, I hope you're see that. :)

rako

DSM-IV
Religious & Spiritual Problems

The inclusion in the DSM-IV of a new diagnostic category called "Religious or Spiritual Problem" marks a significant breakthrough. For the first time, there is acknowledgment of distressing religious and spiritual experiences as nonpathological problems. Spiritual emergencies are crises during which the process of growth and change becomes chaotic and overwhelming. The proposal for this new diagnostic category came from transpersonal clinicians concerned with the misdiagnosis and mistreatment of persons in the midst of spiritual crises.

For people who find themselves in this passage -- as I did 20 years ago -- it is helpful to know that it is a passage. It's helpful to know that perseverance and patience are important, and that it is a time to grow in faith. Frequently it may not look like faith, because the old idols have disappeared, and the old god-ideas have fallen by the wayside.
It therefore can look like a loss of faith, and a loss in one's life-direction generally. But this can really be a turning point in faith, the beginning of a mystery, a movement towards an "I know not what" that, though distressing, can also be the real stuff of spiritual experience and of a spiritual relationship.
The therapist can view loss of faith as an opportunity for the patient to grow into a new relationship to the mystery of life. For some who are experiencing loss of faith, work with a religious professional might help them to reconnect with their faith. Others may not want to get involved with an organized religion. The creation of a new personal mythology as described in Lesson 6.2 is a psychotherapeutic priority in working with clients who have experienced a loss of faith.
http://www.spiritualcompetency.com/dsm4/dsmrsproblem.pdf

So did you fellows come to any conclusions about how to move on after intensely devoting years to religion?
I believe in God and love Jesus and see deep morals. I don't "know" that Jesus didn't resurrect, it's that I don't have certainty one way or the other and that when I try to think about it fully realistically, it looks like it didn't happen.

Christianity offers alot in terms of feelings of reassurance and hope in a sometimes soul-destroying and body-destroying world. The mortality rate here as far as I can tell is about 100%. But for someone with deep reliance on critical thinking and disillusionment with the world and knowledge that what societies and ideologies say are not true, it could be next to impossible to force oneself to mentally think the opposite of what things realistically look like.

So how to deal with the world's hardships for someone who has spent years in a religion? How to deal with social circumstances?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Don't consider arguments. The Gospel is such good news that all you really have to do is think about how good it is. Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
1st Corinthians 15:1-58
Spoiler
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.
Spoiler
Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
Spoiler
But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming. Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all. Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead? And why stand we in jeopardy every hour? I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die. Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
Spoiler
But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come? Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die: And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain: But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body. All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds. There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
Spoiler
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Spoiler
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.