What is Money?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I haven't read it al yet but what I have read I like! I may be modifying my position to some degree after this book. Thanks for posting the link!
North is one of the few economists who are actually enjoyable to read. Regarding his legacy, he is being very smart to make all of his voluminous writings available to download free of charge.

Right Divider

Body part
I endorse money based on my labor, not the amount of gold stashed away somewhere.
I know that this is an old thread... but that is just silly.
Money is simply a commodity that allows for the exchange of things like labor and goods.
Using gold as the sum store for that "money" is as good as anything else.
That makes the money finite, and lowers the standard of living for those that don't have it.
Money should be "finite". People obtain money by providing other people with something valuable. It's not a zero sum game.

Last edited:

grumix8

BANNED
Banned
Okay perhaps being positve in a world without money is unrealistic but everyone ahs the right to their or hers opinion if you have bteer idea please do tell ;D.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Okay perhaps being positve in a world without money is unrealistic but everyone ahs the right to their or hers opinion if you have bteer idea please do tell ;D.
What you don't get about money is that there is no alternative. It cannot be done away with. No matter how hard someone might try, they would fail to get rid of money in any society with more than fifty people in it. If one form is outlawed, then another will sprout to take its place. If it isn't minted coins then it will be blocks of salt or a particular kind of sea shell or cigarettes. What ever commodity is rare and difficult to produce more of will become a form of money whether anyone actively tries to turn it into that or not. Trying to remove money from a functioning society would be like trying to remove waves from the beach.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
One with two people, let alone fifty!
Well, when its just you and your family or tribe then converting one's time and talent into and exchangeable medium loses its necessity but the larger the group, the more such a need presents itself.