What will our resurrected bodies be like according to the bible?

Derf

I'm looking for what people think about our resurrected bodies. I'm a bit argumentative at times, but I will try to refrain a bit here.

I mainly would like to hear opinions and I would like to know the biblical basis of your opinion.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm looking for what people think about our resurrected bodies. I'm a bit argumentative at times, but I will try to refrain a bit here.

I mainly would like to hear opinions and I would like to know the biblical basis of your opinion.

We will have a body like our Father's body.

Derf

We will have a body like our Father's body.

Hi Jamie,
Can you give more details? Does our Father have a body? And can you provide some scripture for your assertion?

Thanks for the input!

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi Jamie,
Does our Father have a body? And can you provide some scripture for your assertion?

Yes, our Father is alive. This means he has a mind and a body making him a living soul according to scripture.

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. (James 2:26)

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thessalonians 5:23)​

Paul wrote that humans have a spirit and a body, which makes a soul. At death the spirit returns to God who gave it and the body decays because of lack of blood flow.

Jesus said, "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)

Humans are not immortal but immortality is available if Jesus Christ can form us into the image and likeness of his Father, which we are to become.

Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness." (Genesis 1:26)​

Paul explains this is a two step process, "However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man." (1 Corinthians 15:46-49)

We are born of woman as a natural man, but we must be born of the Spirit as a heavenly man.

Jerry Shugart

I'm looking for what people think about our resurrected bodies.

Those who will have passed away before the saints are "caught up" will have bodies just like the ones which the living saints will have then, and it will be a body just like the lord Jesus' glorious body:

"Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself"
(Phil.3:21).​

Paul makes it plain that the body which we will put on in the future will be a body which is from heaven:

"For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven" (2 Cor.5:1-2).​

This means that when we will be in heaven with the Lord we will NOT be in a "flesh and blood" body because "flesh and blood" cannot enter the heavenly kingdom:

"And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption" (1 Cor.15:49-50).​

Therefore, we know that the bodies of those who will be raised from the dead will not have flesh and blood bodies. Instead, we will have "spiritual" bodies (1 Cor.15:44).

KingdomRose

There are two resurrections. (Revelation 20:6) The first resurrection is for those who are anointed with Holy Spirit to rule with Christ in heaven. The Bible indicates that there are 144,000 who will be participants in the first resurrection.(Revelation 7:4; 14:1; 20:4-6)

The second resurrection is the resurrection of everyone else, other than the anointed co-rulers with Christ, everyone else who will enjoy everlasting life on a paradise Earth. Billions of people will be participants in this resurrection. That most people will live on the physical Earth forever is supported by many passages in the Scriptures.

Psalm 37:9-11, 29
Isaiah 11:6-9
Isaiah 35:1,5,6
Isaiah 65:21-25
Micah 4:1-4

We see that there will be 144,000 who will be resurrected with spirit bodies, to live in heaven, and there will be billions resurrected with physical bodies who will live on the earth in paradise conditions, as can be ascertained by the scriptures cited above.

Jerry Shugart

That most people will live on the physical Earth forever is supported by many passages in the Scriptures.

Hi KingdomRose,

Of what do you think that these verses are speaking?:

"But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved"
(2 Pet.3:10-11).​

"And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: They shall perish; but thou remainest"
(Heb.1:10-11).​

Do you think that what is described there can be in regard to what the word "end" means in the following verse?:

"But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power" (1 Cor.15:23-24).

Thanks!

Derf

There are two resurrections. (Revelation 20:6) The first resurrection is for those who are anointed with Holy Spirit to rule with Christ in heaven. The Bible indicates that there are 144,000 who will be participants in the first resurrection.(Revelation 7:4; 14:1; 20:4-6)

The second resurrection is the resurrection of everyone else, other than the anointed co-rulers with Christ, everyone else who will enjoy everlasting life on a paradise Earth. Billions of people will be participants in this resurrection. That most people will live on the physical Earth forever is supported by many passages in the Scriptures.

Psalm 37:9-11, 29
Isaiah 11:6-9
Isaiah 35:1,5,6
Isaiah 65:21-25
Micah 4:1-4

We see that there will be 144,000 who will be resurrected with spirit bodies, to live in heaven, and there will be billions resurrected with physical bodies who will live on the earth in paradise conditions, as can be ascertained by the scriptures cited above.
Thanks Rose,
What are some differences between the spirit body and the physical body in your 2 groups?

Derf

Yes, our Father is alive. This means he has a mind and a body making him a living soul according to scripture.

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. (James 2:26)

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thessalonians 5:23)​

Paul wrote that humans have a spirit and a body, which makes a soul. At death the spirit returns to God who gave it and the body decays because of lack of blood flow.

Jesus said, "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)

Humans are not immortal but immortality is available if Jesus Christ can form us into the image and likeness of his Father, which we are to become.

Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness." (Genesis 1:26)​

Paul explains this is a two step process, "However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man." (1 Corinthians 15:46-49)

We are born of woman as a natural man, but we must be born of the Spirit as a heavenly man.

Jamie,
There are a few passages of scripture that talk about God having body parts, like arms or feet. Some think these are anthropomorphisms, describing God in terms that are familiar to us, but not really suggesting He has actual arms. John 4:24 seems to suggest that God does NOT have a body, since God is equated with the term "spirit".

But when Jesus was resurrected, to prove to His disciples that He was REALLY resurrected (and not a ghost, or "spirit", or perhaps an illusion), He offered to let them touch His body, to feel His scars.

God the Father has never offered to let anyone touch Him, as far as I know.

Also, a "body" seems to me to indicate physicality--something made of matter. Does the Father have "physicality"?

These concepts you wrote about seem to contradict each other:

If the body is part of the soul (spirit being the other part), then how is the soul not killed if the body is killed, as in the first half of the verse. The second half seems to indicate that the soul is killed in a separate act from the body.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jamie,
If the body is part of the soul (spirit being the other part), then how is the soul not killed if the body is killed, as in the first half of the verse. The second half seems to indicate that the soul is killed in a separate act from the body.

A person's mind is made up of a brain and a human spirit which provides intellect.

The brain is physical, the spirit is not. When a person breathes their last breath then blood is no longer supplied to the brain and it dies. Without a brain to process information the spirit returns to God who gave it and the body decays.

The spirit can be placed into another body and the person is good as new.

Derf

A person's mind is made up of a brain and a human spirit which provides intellect.

The brain is physical, the spirit is not. When a person breathes their last breath then blood is no longer supplied to the brain and it dies. Without a brain to process information the spirit returns to God who gave it and the body decays.

The spirit can be placed into another body and the person is good as new.

Any other body? Do you think God might transplant someone's spirit into a different body, kind of like "Heaven Can Wait"?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Any other body? Do you think God might transplant someone's spirit into a different body, kind of like "Heaven Can Wait"

No, our resurrection will be similar Jesus' resurrection.

Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

Behold, I tell you a mystery, we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet, for the trumpet will sound and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

For this perishable must put on the imperishable and this mortal must put on immortality. (1 Corinthians 15:50-53)​

Derf

No sense pretending he/she is going to heaven. :dizzy: Is 14:9

Probably a lot of smart people are going to hell. God uses people going to hell all the time for His purposes. Let's see what they say about our resurrection bodies.

Jesus told the people to obey the spiritual leaders of His day, as they sat in Moses' seat, but not to do what they did. They must have had some useful function before they went to hell (Matt 23:15)

Besides, all people will be resurrected, some to eternal life and some to damnation:

[Jhn 5:28-29 KJV] 28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

[Rev 20:5, 12-14 KJV] 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This [is] the first resurrection. ... 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

So if there's a resurrection of all, we could also discuss what kind of bodies the damned will be resurrected into.