When does the Biblical month begin?

WatchmanOnTheWall

[MENTION=5582]Jacob[/MENTION].

I think it might have been you I was discussing how Tishri (month 7) used to be month 1. I just wanted to point out that Tishri means 'beginning'.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
[MENTION=5582]Jacob[/MENTION].

I think it might have been you I was discussing how Tishri (month 7) used to be month 1. I just wanted to point out that Tishri means 'beginning'.

Shalom.

Today is Rishon, 12-17.

Tishrei is the seventh month on the Jewish Calendar that has Babylonian month names. This is not the first Jewish Calendar. Nor is it seen as correct or to be observed by all. Some people observe it in addition to the Jewish Calendar originating in the Torah.

Shalom.

Jacob

WatchmanOnTheWall

Shalom.

Today is Rishon, 12-17.

Tishrei is the seventh month on the Jewish Calendar that has Babylonian month names. This is not the first Jewish Calendar. Nor is it seen as correct or to be observed by all. Some people observe it in addition to the Jewish Calendar originating in the Torah.

Shalom.

Jacob

Yes I think we did talk about this. Originally Tishri was month one:

Exodus 12:1-2
1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron in Egypt, 2 This month is to be for you the first month, the first month of your year.

This tells us that God was making Aviv the first month of the religious year. Present day Jews believe Tishri, now month seven, was originally the first month of the actual year and this is also shown in the Bible:

Exodus 34:22
“Celebrate the Festival of Weeks [Shavuot/Pentecost] with the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering [Tabernacles] at the turn of the year.”

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes I think we did talk about this. Originally Tishri was month one:

Exodus 12:1-2
1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron in Egypt, 2 This month is to be for you the first month, the first month of your year.

This tells us that God was making Aviv the first month of the religious year. Present day Jews believe Tishri, now month seven, was originally the first month of the actual year and this is also shown in the Bible:

Exodus 34:22
“Celebrate the Festival of Weeks [Shavuot/Pentecost] with the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering [Tabernacles] at the turn of the year.”

Shalom.

Today is Sheni, 12-18. It is Boker, Morning. It is Yom, Day.

I believe that you have something wrong here. Perhaps more than one thing. You have made at least two points which for you go together to drive home a point that I do not believe or agree with. At Wikipedia a distinction is made between the civil year and the ecclesiastical year. But the month names Tishrei and Nisan are from ((a) Jewish Calendar, but originated with) the Babylonian Calendar.

Shalom.

Jacob