• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Why are Christians embracing Evolution?

DLH

It says the seventh day is still going on. Why?

It doesn't.

Genesis 2:3 And God went on to bless the seventh day and to declare it sacred, for on it God has been resting from all the work that he has created, all that he purposed to make.

Isaiah 40:28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? Jehovah, the Creator of the ends of the earth, is a God for all eternity. He never tires out or grows weary. His understanding is unsearchable.

John 5:17 But he answered them: "My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working."

Hebrews 4:1-11 Therefore, since a promise of entering into his rest remains, let us be on guard for fear someone among you seems to fall short of it. For we have also had the good news declared to us, just as they had; but the word that they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. For we who have exercised faith do enter into the rest, just as he has said: “So I swore in my anger, ‘They will not enter into my rest,’” although his works were finished from the founding of the world. For in one place he has said of the seventh day as follows: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works,” and here again he says: “They will not enter into my rest.”
Therefore, since it remains for some to enter into it, and those to whom the good news was first declared did not enter in because of disobedience,  he again marks off a certain day by saying long afterward in David’s psalm, “Today”; just as it has been said above, “Today if you listen to his voice, do not harden your hearts.”  For if Joshua had led them into a place of rest, God would not afterward have spoken of another day. So there remains a sabbath-rest for the people of God.  For the man who has entered into God’s rest has also rested from his own works, just as God did from his own.  Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest, so that no one may fall into the same pattern of disobedience.

Last edited:

DLH

Yom means tide or day-cycle in Hebrew. There is no room for 4.5 billion years, where God is a stupid blunderer.

Literally. But is it not used metaphorically?

Daniel 8:14 So he said to me: “Until 2,300 evenings and mornings; and the holy place will certainly be restored to its right condition.”

Last edited:

Derf

Which is why it was relevant in the first place. See? Only some thought required. My theological theory is better than yours as far as I can tell because you haven't demonstrated why you think that not to be the case. You just keep repeating it as if that will make it true.

I read it in a book. Defining true: 1, In accordance with fact or reality; 2. Accurate or exact; 3. Loyal of faithful; 4. Honest.

Yes. It is. Explain it.

Okay. Why not? If we can estimate the speed of light, and the time therefore it takes for light to get to here from a star, why can't we estimate, with some accuracy, that the universe is older than a few thousand years?
The calculations we can make regarding distance light has traveled assumes that the conditions we think we observe today (using that same light) have stayed the same since the light was emitted. We have other evidence—eyewitness accounts—that contradict the assumptions.

DLH

The calculations we can make regarding distance light has traveled assumes that the conditions we think we observe today (using that same light) have stayed the same since the light was emitted. We have other evidence—eyewitness accounts—that contradict the assumptions.

You can't really make that sort of statement unsupported in a debate, though, can you?

I guess you can, for you just have, huh?

But who are the eyewitnesses and what is their testimony. The only ones I can think of are the sons of God, the angels, who applauded in Job 38. But that doesn't fit very well with the literal 144 hour creation does it? That means they were created before the beginning. Which they were. The beginning of what? The creation of the earth and heavens. Which heavens?

DLH

No. But prophecies aren't literal unless you call the metaphors literal.

Prophecy simply means proclamation. At Ezekiel 37:9, 10 he prophecies, that is proclaims God's command, to the wind. At Matthew 26:67, 68; Luke 22:63, 64 Jesus isn't expected to predict something but to reveal by divine revelation who had slapped him.

DLH

Wrong an evening and morning hardly means anything but 24 hours.

Then 2,300, mentioned at Daniel 8:14, would have been 2300 days or years? Hint.

Daniel 8:14 So he said to me: “Until 2,300 evenings and mornings; and the holy place will certainly be restored to its right condition.”

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
@DLH Regarding your post #202, Remove the "QUOTE" tags from anything that is not a quote of a post from TOL. Putting everything within QUOTE tags makes it impossible to respond to your post, as the site thinks that there's no text to quote.

Reactions: DLH

Leatherneck

Temp Banned
Then 2,300, mentioned at Daniel 8:14, would have been 2300 days or years? Hint.

I believe days means days since an evening and morning is one day.

King James Bible
And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.

Right Divider

Body part
Genesis 2:3 And God went on to bless the seventh day and to declare it sacred, for on it God has been resting from all the work that he has created, all that he purposed to make.
That does NOT say that the seventh day goes on forever.
Isaiah 40:28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? Jehovah, the Creator of the ends of the earth, is a God for all eternity. He never tires out or grows weary. His understanding is unsearchable.
Again, nothing about a thousands of years long "seventh day".
John 5:17 But he answered them: "My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working."
He is NOT taking about CREATION.
Hebrews 4:1-11 Therefore, since a promise of entering into his rest remains, let us be on guard for fear someone among you seems to fall short of it. For we have also had the good news declared to us, just as they had; but the word that they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. For we who have exercised faith do enter into the rest, just as he has said: “So I swore in my anger, ‘They will not enter into my rest,’” although his works were finished from the founding of the world. For in one place he has said of the seventh day as follows: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works,” and here again he says: “They will not enter into my rest.”
Therefore, since it remains for some to enter into it, and those to whom the good news was first declared did not enter in because of disobedience,  he again marks off a certain day by saying long afterward in David’s psalm, “Today”; just as it has been said above, “Today if you listen to his voice, do not harden your hearts.”  For if Joshua had led them into a place of rest, God would not afterward have spoken of another day. So there remains a sabbath-rest for the people of God.  For the man who has entered into God’s rest has also rested from his own works, just as God did from his own.  Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest, so that no one may fall into the same pattern of disobedience.
Again, nothing here describes an "ongoing seventh day".

You are so into your false doctrine that you are seeing things that are not there.

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ah, but you see, he didn't. Also. My math was WAY off there. Just so you know.
Right. God didn't have to wait. He had at least one way to create light one day, and then effectively put the physical light sources (in the Newtonian context) many light years away while still having the light from those sources be at the earth at the same time (or nearly the same time).

This would be consistent with the other scientific disciplines. And more importantly, it is consistent with what God says.

There it is again! What is that?! Do you hear that?! That stretching sound . . . . At least you didn't heap a steaming gob of paste on my ungrateful crown.
So when God says He stretched the heavens, what do you think it means?

What were we talking about? Ah! Stretching, as in the imagination, no?
Hard to say. But that might be closer to the truth than the inconsistent claim that light from a bunch of light years away took years to reach the earth.

Beyond this, the beginning of Genesis doesn't require reading between the lines as you seem to be suggesting. What yom means is determined by context. Yes, this has been mentioned repeatedly, but you still have not given any evidence why "evening and morning" does not determine the context of a single earth rotation.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
It says the seventh day is still going on. Why?

It doesn't.

The context explains what he's resting from, specifically.

"And God ended His work which He had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done."

The word "rest" here means to "cease from doing." Got literally stopped making things, because man was the finishing piece!

And no, it's not "God has been resting." That's a very poor translation, and is probably why you're so confused:

"Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made."

It's extremely explicit, God rested from creating, on day seven.

This verse says nothing about the seventh day "continuing."

As RD pointed out, Jesus isn't talking about creation.

As, again, RD pointed out, nothing here says that the seventh day is ongoing.

DLH

Sure i

Sure If you add the days together.

Actually, I completely messed that entire thing up. First of all, I got the prophecy confused with a related prophecy that has been fulfilled. That one hasn't so the point is moot. The prophecy says 2300 evenings and mornings so it becomes a question of whether or not it's talking about days in a literal sense or as is often the case a year for a day. 2300 years. A literal day would be six years, four months and twenty days but, of course, the 2300 years if it were for years. It was just a poorly thought out example of days meaning something other than days. Sorry, my bad.