Why climate change deniers mistrust hurricane forecasts too

exminister

This week, one of the most popular radio hosts in the country issued a dire warning about Hurricane Irma, a Category 5 storm barreling its way through Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Though it could diverge from its predicted path, modeling from meteorologists says the storm will most likely crash into South Florida over the weekend.

The ominous warning from conservative fire starter Rush Limbaugh was this: Don't trust those meteorologists.

On his daily syndicated radio show Tuesday, Limbaugh claimed that forecasters and the media alike were overhyping the hurricane in a bid to juice retail sales at stores in South Florida.

“The reason that I am leery of forecasts this far out, folks,” Limbaugh said, “is because I see how the system works.”

Limbaugh went on to explain that this is a “symbiotic relationship.”

“The media benefits with the panic with increased eyeballs, and the retailers benefit from the panic with increased sales,” he said, “and the TV companies benefit because they’re getting advertising dollars from the businesses that are seeing all this attention from customers.”

The Washington Post's Callum Borchers put Limbaugh's comments in Trump-era terms: "Limbaugh didn't say the magic words, but on Tuesday he basically accused the media of creating fake news about Hurricane Irma.”

Weather communicators, including celebrity weatherman Al Roker, piled on to point out that Limbaugh's comments were dangerous if heeded by his listeners — if, that is, some of them ignored evacuation orders from authorities they see as corrupted by the meteorology-industrial complex.

But Limbaugh was undeterred. On Wednesday's show, he denied being a “hurricane denier,” and lambasted those who made the accusation, including The Post.

For Limbaugh, the criticism was proof that “people are using this storm to advance the climate change agenda.” He placed those who accept the scientific consensus that humans are warming the planet alongside FiveThirtyEight's Nate Silver and other presidential election oddsmakers as examples of “the left ... gone insane.”

This is not a lone conspiratorial theory about this storm. On his own show, Alex Jones of Infowars began a segment this week by claiming, "I’m not saying Irma is geoengineered.”

But he went on to suggest it may have been.

After noting that a science-fiction film about weather control called “Geostorm” is premiering in October, Jones said he thought the timing of the film was suspect.

“Isn’t that just perfect timing?” Jones said. “Like all these race war films they’ve been putting out. This is starting to get suspicious.”

What's going on? Social science offers an explanation as to why those who reject the consensus view among climate scientists may also tend to mistrust the motives of hurricane forecasters.

A 2013 survey found those who reject climate change science also have a tendency to endorse conspiracy theories, including ideas like that the moon landing was filmed in a Hollywood studio or that the U.S. government staged the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"People who don’t accept the consensus behind climate change tend to have a cluster of conspiracy views," said John Cook, a research assistant professor at the Center for Climate Change Communication at George Mason University and co-author of a follow-up study.

Indeed, such people sometimes bring conspiratorial thinking to their assessment of climate change policy. Jones, for example, has claimed in previous shows that the goal of the 2015 Paris climate talks was to bring about “global taxes" and “global government," neither of which were the outcome of the international agreement that followed.

While outlandish in their details, Cook said, the arguments from Limbaugh and Jones about Hurricane Irma demonstrate classic traits of conspiratorial thinking, such as a belief in a nefarious cabal and "drawing lines between random facts."

Neither Limbaugh nor Jones present any evidence that their theories are true — that, respectively, meteorologists and retailers, or geoengineers and filmmakers, are conspiring to somehow make a buck. What they do present are worldviews that imagine this unprecedented storm as impossible without the help of some behind-the-scenes ne'er-do-wells.

If you reject a scientific consensus, Cook said, "you really have no recourse other than to believe that they’re all in a conspiracy."

article

Danoh

Reminds me of the "Religious right" of Christ's day - in their corrupt minds, He was the one actually up to no good.

Any MD will rightly tell you that the health of your teeth impacts even your heart.

Why?

Because like this Planet itself, your body is also an interconnected ecosystem and what impacts one part of that ecosystem results in a ripple effect throughout, that begins to greatly impact other parts of said system.

We see this throughout our day to day in myriads of ways, but many are simply willfully ignorant about this simple fact.

These are the same fools who talk about how the First Nations people of this country were largely wiped out by disease brought here in the bodies of the first Europeans who came here, but had long since developed an immunity to said diseases themselves.

That is a "climate change" within the human ecosystem as said "climate."

The mere interaction of the one ecosystem with that of the other way back then, setting off an internal course of events in the other that so damaged their internal climate for the worse, it killed them.

Even in Scripture, all the various cataclysmic events are interconnected with one another and thus impact one another.

And look at this...

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

And look at it's Global impact...

Romans 8:22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

That is...an ecosystem being described there, and thus, a "climate."

All of it impacted by a human action...

Their very Bible is a witness against their fool ignorance.

Bible Believer's, my foot.

Such glory in their ignorance.

:doh:

Nevertheless, Romans 5:8

Interplanner

A Climate Change Communication center at a university? Will there now be communication 'centers' for other things deemed to be necessary impositions on the public? 'Centers' in this definition have always come across as scrambling for attention and clout, I think. All communication and little data. Emotion over reason.

When Harvey came, the intro usually 'communicated' that it had been 13 years since the last storm. Not exactly the scenario told us by the undeniable priests of this science.

I also heard a Canadian prof on climate geography say that temps are well within normal ranges, but the problem is heat waves (this month is the anniversay of several thousand French deaths in heat in 2003). So suddenly it is not sea levels and storms, it is heat waves. yet no one at the invented 'centers' who had been talking about sea levels and storms pounced on this guy for saying heat waves. Possibly because it has been 14 years? Or because they don't want to raise the issue of things not actually being true in 12 years and of projections being a wopping tenth of a degree by 2050?

I'm reminded of a local incident in which a remote station in our local national park had been placed to collect data on the effect of an ITT special paper mill. The sensor was 10 miles away. It was claimed that the pollution of the mill was toxic to the park, and the mill was closed, years ago. The remote station had an email contact address for the Ph.D. candidate using it. I told her I had climbed the mountain several times and could she please send me something to look for as evidence of the toxicity of the ITT plant, anything at all that the common person could see in the plants or rocks in the area of the remote sensor.

She wrote back. It was no longer monitoring the effects of the mill. Instead it was a base level study for the effects of farm fertilizer in the upper atmosphere. The site had some of the world's most pristine air so it was a baseline.

The mill was closed before there was any proof of fallout.

gcthomas

Despite claiming that Irma wouldn't reach the US mainland, and dismissing the projected track and warnings as a climate change conspiracy, it seems that Rush Limbaugh has evacuated from his home and will be unable to broadcast for a while.

Maybe he doesn't trust his ridiculous pronouncements himself as much as some on this forum do …

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Despite claiming that Irma wouldn't reach the US mainland, and dismissing the projected track and warnings as a climate change conspiracy, it seems that Rush Limbaugh has evacuated from his home and will be unable to broadcast for a while.

Maybe he doesn't trust his ridiculous pronouncements himself as much as some on this forum do …
gc, you've bought into the biggest scam since snake oil salesmen, this planet will be exactly the same 100 years from now. Hurricanes happen gc, along with all the other natural disasters. Rush Limbaugh evacuated, so global warming must be true? :chuckle:

gcthomas

gc, you've bought into the biggest scam since snake oil salesmen, this planet will be exactly the same 100 years from now. Hurricanes happen gc, along with all the other natural disasters. Rush Limbaugh evacuated, so global warming must be true? :chuckle:

He evacuated after claiming that the warnings about the hurricane were a hoax perpetrated by a conspiracy. Did you believe him when he said it? Do you still believe him now he is evacuating?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
He evacuated after claiming that the warnings about the hurricane were a hoax perpetrated by a conspiracy. Did you believe him when he said it? Do you still believe him now he is evacuating?
I don't follow or support Rush or Alex Jones, I though this was more about overall climate change, I didn't know he called it a conspiracy. The fact is, climate change believers like Al Gore and the like, spew deceptive data to the masses.

gcthomas

I don't follow or support Rush or Alex Jones, I though this was more about overall climate change, I didn't know he called it a conspiracy. The fact is, climate change believers like Al Gore and the like, spew deceptive data to the masses.

Gore getting all excitable isn't evidence that the climate isn't changing, is it? The global temperatures are still rising, whether you like it or not. I certainly don't like it at all, but facing up to our responsibilities as Earth's custodians isn't meant to make is comfortable, is it?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
In my opinion "Global Warming" is a GIGANTIC money making political SCAM that's been perpetrated on the masses by "Far-left-wing" Politicians, media, and Hollywood types. Al Gore is the CEO of this cult like following. As Christians, we know that, in the end, God, Himself will destroy the earth and recreate a new earth.

gcthomas

In my opinion "Global Warming" is a GIGANTIC money making political SCAM that's been perpetrated on the masses by "Far-left-wing" Politicians, media, and Hollywood types. Al Gore is the CEO of this cult like following. As Christians, we know that, in the end, God, Himself will destroy the earth and recreate a new earth.

So who is making all the money? Such money as to take in all bar three of the world's national governments (including Russia, China and North Korea)? How is North Korea making money out of it?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
So who is making all the money? Such money as to take in all bar three of the world's national governments (including Russia, China and North Korea)? How is North Korea making money out of it?

So, you're skeptical about the "Global Warming Scam" making money? Al Gore is at the top of the list.

way 2 go

1970 global cooling

:greedy:

Owosso+Argus-Press+1970.png

Interplanner

Gore getting all excitable isn't evidence that the climate isn't changing, is it? The global temperatures are still rising, whether you like it or not. I certainly don't like it at all, but facing up to our responsibilities as Earth's custodians isn't meant to make is comfortable, is it?

Are they rising? then why are the official docs about the "crisis" saying that there will be 0.1 degree increase by 2030? "Crisis"? wow, I'm frozen with fear.

Selaphiel

You mean the data that is publically available from any major climate research institute around the globe? Al Gore is the chief of all those institutes? That is impressive! I don't see his name on any of the data that is available from for examples NASA though.

this planet will be exactly the same 100 years from now. Hurricanes happen gc, along with all the other natural disasters

Not according to the scientific data. Hurricanes and other natural disasters do indeed happen, no one is claiming that climate change is the sole cause of all natural disasters, they claim that climate change increase the rate and strength of phenomena like extreme weather.