Why did Dish drop FOX News?

Caledvwlch

I hate DISH

Me too. I installed them for about a year. Worst job I've ever had.

and I am sure a lot of conservatives feel the same way. I will NEVER use them, even if they get Fox back. They couldn't care less about their viewers and it probably (definitely?) is about politics... My instincts say it is. Or maybe its my cynicism that says it is. But in any case, I would never have DISH even if Fox returned b/c it could happen again

I can assure you that it isn't politics. I work for a TV provider (not Dish), and I guarantee you that Fox is using its enormous leverage to gouge subscription fees from Dish just like they do to us. We pay them, because what else are we going to do? Drop Fox News, FX, FXX, Fox Sports, National Geographic, etc etc? No. Dish wants to make money, Fox wants to make money. Dish'll come around after enough people flee to the other providers.

zoo22

well, why don't you go out into the wilderness and live all alone where your car won't pollute any air breathed by animals (don't care about humans..), where you probably won't even have one b/c it's so "bad for the environment"

where you won't burn any fuel and will freeze to death..

sounds like a weaner

)

It's a shame that the TOL post of the year nominations aren't still going on. This is awesome. And using Comic Sans is a nice touch... Icing on the cake.

republicanchick

M Dish'll come around after enough people flee to the other providers.

it will be too late for most of us. We have seen their politics

and even if it is not politics, why, it certainly LOOKS politics, doesn't it?

and unfortunately human beings go by appearances a lot

But even if not, it doesn't even matter b/c... they dropped Fox and millions are deprived

people will NOT forget that

to the netherworld with Dish

:angrymob:

republicanchick

:chuckle:

yes, I thought it was one of my better posts.

thanks

But back to the point: why don't you live like that? I mean, you know, you show how little you care about people OR
the environment

b/c you do not put your money where your mouth is and live like that. Shame on you for your hypocrisy

:yoshi:

Caledvwlch

it will be too late for most of us. We have seen their politics

No you haven't. You've seen their business practices.

and even if it is not politics, why, it certainly LOOKS politics, doesn't it?

No. It doesn't.

and unfortunately human beings go by appearances a lot

And Fox News viewers tend to see conspiracies where none exist. :chuckle:

But even if not, it doesn't even matter b/c... they dropped Fox and millions are deprived

people will NOT forget that

Sure they will. They'll switch to DirecTV at a fantastic price, locked in for a year or two, then the price will jump up to normal levels and they'll get sticker shock and they'll start to look at Dish again wondering if they can save a few bucks. Rinse and repeat.

to the netherworld with Dish

I absolutely agree. :cheers:

republicanchick

here's what I think happened:

Dish and other libs got VERY hot under the collar whne the Rs won by a landslides (lots of landslides, rather) in the last election

So Dish not carrying Fox anymore is their answer...

So let's all boycott Dish, who couldn't care less if Fox is the most popular cable news show

+++

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OR ... perhaps Direct TV is superior and had a much better offer.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I was with Direct for over a decade and have been with Dish for about two years. When Direct started and for a while they had great customer service and a terrific product at a decent price (much better than my experience with cable providers). Over time they got big, bloated and greedy. They got rid of Tivo and created their own DVR. It was comparatively awful and slow. They raised prices on decent packages until between the two irritations we considered going without.

Then Dish came along. Much better, faster DVR with a lot more memory and a much more reasonable package for what we liked to watch. Very friendly customer service. A great deal more free content, weekend previews and perks. Dish has seriously eroded what was a Direct dominated market, so they know good business practices. As with Direct, from time to time they enter into a negotiating phase with this or that provider of product (as Dish did with Turner a while ago).

Fox will be back on Dish. At present they're both playing hard ball. Fox is trying to grab for more cash and Dish is trying to limit the increase to keep from driving up cost to consumers which is part of their sell.

Now if you want Direct, go to it. You'll pay more for less and by the time you're locked into that two year contract Fox will have returned to the better provider.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
That's right. She doesn't watch TV. Ever. She's made that very clear:

I like to watch......
there was a time I had no free time to kill, but now, it has all changed, although i dislike all dish cable.:madmad:

And a favorite, where TSF implies she's always perfectly honest:

[/spoiler]

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I can have it all for free, but do not because I do not like the way they do business.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I, who have no Business degree, could run a cable network better than Dish...

sad thing is: that is not saying anything
No, it's saying that you a) don't know what you're talking about when it comes to business models, but b) are certain of the outcome regardless.

That's saying something all right. :plain:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
How does one pay for TV? They have to endure commercials, so why does pay TV have commercials?

I think it is the same reason some bought pet rocks; some people will buy anything?

I am not immune, stuck in bed so much, I buy lots of movies, usually Blu-Ray. At least I can watch when I want to and what i want to. When I had the cable, the ‘premium movies stations repeated the same old movies; I saw, on average, three to five good ones a month.

If you are very savory, you can get free phone and TV with you computer over the internet, phone too.

I know the phone is through Google, but I forgot the source and you need an app, may be a download, or purchase. For movies, you only need know where to look and have computer hooked to your TV.

Caledvwlch

How does one pay for TV? They have to endure commercials, so why does pay TV have commercials?

I think it is the same reason some bought pet rocks; some people will buy anything?

The ad revenues mainly go to the cable network (Fox in this case), not the TV provider (except for local ad insertion, that does go mainly to the TV provider, so when you're watching A&E and suddenly there's a low-rent commercial for your local furniture store/meth distributor, you know that a local ad was just inserted).

Cable network like Fox and ESPN (Disney) know they have huge leverage because of consumer demand for their product, so despite the billions they make in ad revenue, they can pump the TV providers for subscription fees which are what drive up the monthly bills for the subscribers.

republicanchick

I . Dish has seriously eroded what was a Direct dominated market, so they know good business practices.
Well, again, i have no Business degree, but i would NEVER make a decision that adversely and in a wide-spread way affects the majority of US viewers (gets them unhappy..). Fox is the most popular cable news network and rightfully so... Once again we the peoiple get... you know... I'll use the term Ripped off...

Fox will be back on Dish.
that's what i was thinking but God knows...
At present they're both playing hard ball. Fox is trying to grab for more cash and Dish is trying to limit the increase to keep from driving up cost to consumers which is part of their sell.
Stupid. Again, more people watch Fox than probably all the others (CNN, MsNBC) put together. i heard soemthing to that effect...

++

republicanchick

The ad revenues mainly go to the cable network (Fox in this case), not the TV provider (except for local ad insertion, that does go mainly to the TV provider, so when you're watching A&E and suddenly there's a low-rent commercial for your local furniture store/meth distributor, you know that a local ad was just inserted).

Cable network like Fox and ESPN (Disney) know they have huge leverage because of consumer demand for their product, so despite the billions they make in ad revenue, they can pump the TV providers for subscription fees which are what drive up the monthly bills for the subscribers.

why is it when someone wants to jack up We the people's cost by raising taxes, no liberals say anything

But when Fox wants to bargain for more money, somehow that is Crime of the Century?

double standard

but what do we expect from libs?

++

republicanchick

No, it's saying that you a) don't know what you're talking about when it comes to business models, but b) are certain of the outcome regardless.

That's saying something all right. :plain:

no, actually, what YOU are saying is that anyone w/o a degree can sit down and shut up. Thank you, Mr. Elitist

and i will NOT sit down and shut up. Any imbecile can see what is going on in this country. Degrees are just a paper that says you studied something. Some of us study things OUTSIDE of the college environment (where we can be happily free of the LIB influence)

++

Caledvwlch

why is it when someone wants to jack up We the people's cost by raising taxes, no liberals say anything

But when Fox wants to bargain for more money, somehow that is Crime of the Century?

double standard

but what do we expect from libs?

++

I don't recall saying it was a crime. I don't particularly care for the nature of the TV content market, but that's on a personal level. If you recall, I mentioned that Disney does the same thing with ESPN.