Why Drug Laws are wrong

drbrumley

Drugs are the cause of many other crimes and misery for the user's family. Those who think that drug use is a victimless crime are naive to the maximum. The real world for drug use is very ugly and violent. In short, drug use is a nightmare for humanity.

Sounds like a case to outlaw alcohol then. :up:

drbrumley

C. S. Lewis remarked:

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Mao Tse-tung managed to get 20 million Chinese off opium by executing dealers and threatening to shoot those who continued using. Chairman Mao -- "the greatest drug-addiction therapist in history" -- understood that opium use was a lifestyle choice -- not an epidemic like the plague -- and while one may disagree with his methods, one cannot quibble over the results. If all that is required to cure the disease of addiction is a threat then we cannot be looking at a very serious "disease."

My point, either you are a Christian, or you are not, and if not, you can do like Mao, Hitler, and Stalin.

from whence did the OT laws derive, if not from Christ?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
society would be better off if swift and harsh punishments were in place for drug trafficking and use

instead, drugs are everywhere

in what possible way is society better served by rampant drug abuse?

Caledvwlch

Drugs are evil, but drug laws are more evil.

I'm focusing on the highlighted part for now. What makes drugs evil? I'll even except a Biblical argument, just because I'm curious. Most of these intoxicating substances or the plants from which they were derived were, I presume, created by God, right? Or did poppies turn into an opiate on the day Adam and Eve ate of the fruit? Some drugs ease suffering. Is that evil? Or does God expect us to just bear the pain of compound fractures in quiet dignity? Alcohol was discovered by accident, must have seemed like magic, and was later discovered to be a bio-chemical process (once again, presumably created by God, I would expect).

Anyway, if drugs are "evil" then why do they exist? This isn't like wondering why evil exists at all and getting into discussions of sin and free will and all that, but the intrinsic properties of naturally occurring substances which, I presume, have no will at all, free or otherwise.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
I'm focusing on the highlighted part for now. What makes drugs evil? I'll even except a Biblical argument, just because I'm curious. Most of these intoxicating substances or the plants from which they were derived were, I presume, created by God, right? Or did poppies turn into an opiate on the day Adam and Eve ate of the fruit? Some drugs ease suffering. Is that evil? Or does God expect us to just bear the pain of compound fractures in quiet dignity? Alcohol was discovered by accident, must have seemed like magic, and was later discovered to be a bio-chemical process (once again, presumably created by God, I would expect).

Anyway, if drugs are "evil" then why do they exist? This isn't like wondering why evil exists at all and getting into discussions of sin and free will and all that, but the intrinsic properties of naturally occurring substances which, I presume, have no will at all, free or otherwise.

my hands exist because that's the way God made me

I can choose to use them to soothe a fevered brow, or hug a scared child

i can choose to use them to assist a student trying to better himself

or.....

i can use them to muder, rape, steal....

Caledvwlch

my hands exist because that's the way God made me

I can choose to use them to soothe a fevered brow, or hug a scared child

i can choose to use them to assist a student trying to better himself

or.....

i can use them to muder, rape, steal....

That doesn't really answer the question. I realize that I should probably refrain from strangling people with pot plants. Why does the plant even have intoxicating effects to begin with, and what makes them evil?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
That doesn't really answer the question. I realize that I should probably refrain from strangling people with pot plants. Why does the plant even have intoxicating effects to begin with, and what makes them evil?

why do my hands have the ability to do evil?

Caledvwlch

because it is degrading that which God hath made, making it less than He intended

Or is it doing exactly what God intended with what God made (the intoxicant)?

And even in my Christian days I would have disagreed with this, so I was wondering if anybody had a good convincing biblical argument (let's just pretend for the sake of this thread that I believe there even is such a thing).

Lexington'96

yes, as should those who push it

So, let me get this straight. You think that people should also be executed for using tobacco products or drinking alcohol? You do realize that more than half of Americans use some type of drug, whether it be alcohol, pot, etc.

journey

Christians should not have to be told that it's morally wrong to get high. Here's a sample:

1 Peter 5:8 KJV Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Philippians 4:4-5 KJV Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. 5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.