Why pray with eyes closed?

Epoisses

All the great miracles in the Bible were done to further the Gospel, not to further personal, materialistic, selfish ambitions. So, as James says, we ask and receive not, because we ask amiss.

That said, when I approach God, I do it with the expectation of a "yes" from a gracious God. I have been in personal crises and emergencies, even life-threatening circumstances where I have cried out, and received help.

I was in a bicycle race not many years ago, and the crank of my bicycle fell off. I carried on walking, thanking God for His grace, knowing that he was going to help me finish the race. I came to a pickup truck where someone just happened to have a bicycle crank in the back, and he fixed my bike and I finished the race. The cherry on top was that I still beat my son to the finish, even after walking for 25 minutes. God just likes to show his kindness and glory to those who expect help from Him. Does not every child expect help from their parents, who are not half as benevolent as God?

I'm not selfish! I do this and I do that and I do other things to. I'm always doing for God and I do in the open to so he can see everything I'm doing.

genuineoriginal

In John 17:1 Jesus prayed lifting His eyes to heaven.

Is it not possible that closing eyes is just a tradition? So far I have not been able to find it's origins.
"Praying" with eyes closed is a natural next step after people are taught to "pray" by thinking at God instead of by praying to God.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
People bow there head or close there eyes to avoid visual distractions that could disrupt concentration and the power of the prayer.

It is done for reverence

glorydaz

When I look out at the beautiful clouds, the trees, the mountains, I pray with my eyes open because I see God there. When I look into the face of a child, I pray with my eyes open thanking God for this wonderful blessing. When I'm in a crowded room or a place with distractions, I close my eyes. I agree...there is no need to close our eyes, but there are times it's right to do so.

Stuu

God, can you cure Stuu of his retardedness?
Your response is a sign that you have no response, so it is interesting that you posted anyway.

But of course what response could there be to gods allowing children to get cancer? No decent human with the power to stop it would hesitate for even a second. Maybe gods aren't all they are cracked up to be.

They sure aren't loving.

Stuart

iamaberean

I was gonna say something witty, however, I'll say this instead. If we keep our eyes closed it puts us in a position of humility, quietness, prevents distraction and helps us to concentrate on what is being prayed for.

Right on, they say this is the same reason one closes their eyes when we kiss.

iouae

While driving to work, it is probably better that one prays with one's eyes open.

I know that God is extremely happy to hear from us at all times, even while driving to work.

The prayer does not even have to be that long all the time. Think of your child just giving you a quick call to say they were thinking of you, and how happy that makes one compared to no call.

Greek2Me

Tradition isn't automatically a bad thing, if it has purpose and/or meaning. My conservative Wesleyan churches tend to pray with eyes closed and, while it is generally unspoken, the intent seems to be to avoid distractions and embarassment. Since we practice "altar calls" and often ask "are there any upraised hands" for prayer or spiritual needs, it generally encourages some more timid individual to step forward to kneel and pray or seek prayer who might not do so if they sensed that others were watching. We simply want to minimize anything that might hinder someone who is "teetering" on the edge of making an important spiritual decision. Don't read anything more into it than a sincere desire to focus on Him and give others the freedom to be as open and unhindered as possible. It's more a "courtesy" than a tradition, in our camp anyway.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Tradition isn't automatically a bad thing, if it has purpose and/or meaning. My conservative Wesleyan churches tend to pray with eyes closed and, while it is generally unspoken, the intent seems to be to avoid distractions and embarassment. Since we practice "altar calls" and often ask "are there any upraised hands" for prayer or spiritual needs, it generally encourages some more timid individual to step forward to kneel and pray or seek prayer who might not do so if they sensed that others were watching. We simply want to minimize anything that might hinder someone who is "teetering" on the edge of making an important spiritual decision. Don't read anything more into it than a sincere desire to focus on Him and give others the freedom to be as open and unhindered as possible. It's more a "courtesy" than a tradition, in our camp anyway.
Makes sense

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
That's it really.

I did a quick concordance search concerning praying and nowhere did I find any mention of closing one's eyes during prayer?

So why does it seem compulsory these days to close one's eyes?

It's symbolic of what most people do with their minds when they pray.

That is to say that most of what passes for prayer these days is little more than superstitious ritual that means nothing and accomplishes just as much.

You're far ahead of the game having done nothing more than taken the time to figure out that the practice has no biblical president (which doesn't imply a prohibition, by the way). It would never have occurred to most people to even ask the question, never mind to take the time to look it up.

I'd be curious to know if a member of the Church of Christ, who rejects such things as the use of musical instruments during worship on the basis of there not being any biblical president for it, also rejects closed eye prayer on the same basis?

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. I agree with those of you who have commented on some of the positive aspects of closed eye prayer, by the way. Don't take this post as my attempting to argue against the practice.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I could make the opposite case that closing eyes can make one more sleepy.
The worst is when a church will dim the lights at the beginning of corporate prayer.

Had a late night, then needed to go to the early service, struggling to stay awake because the coffee hasn't kicked-in yet, and now you're going to dim the lights on me? Oh, you sadistic...