Will Taiwan be destroyed by China while Biden remains silent?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I must disagree in this case, because ultimately a flotilla of troops like D-Day would ne needed to literally invade, and we could easily sink them all with stealthy submarines, plus air power.
Perhaps.

My point was more philosophical. China is not going to invade if it thinks the US would be involved to that extent.

So if it does act, Taiwan needs to defend itself. And there are reasons that it hasn't, most notably being the whole landing issue.

My disagreement here is with the Americans who think the scenario is a fait accompli if the US military isn't doing all the fighting.

Indeed. :)

My point was more philosophical. China is not going to invade if it thinks the US would be involved to that extent.

Yes. And that is one of the two main reasons it has not to date.

So if it does act, Taiwan needs to defend itself

There may be variables involved here that we cannot comprehend. Chinaman killing Chinaman might be distasteful to them, similar to brother against brothers in our civil war. Would they want to kill them in large numbers? Would a drawn out guerilla war last when it is brother against brother? Who knows.

And there are reasons that it hasn't, most notably being the whole landing issue.

Yes.

My disagreement here is with the Americans who think the scenario is a fait accompli if the US military isn't doing all the fighting.

Well, they do need us to prevent the invasion I think.

I don't know that we do. Assuredly, it would be much more comfortable with a couple of carrier groups sinking transport craft, but we put quite a bit into our defense.

I suppose enough ground to ground missiles plus their air force could thwart an invasion force, but China already knows that so one must assume they have a plan for that too, maybe even a nuclear threat, or maybe air dropping small bands of guerilla forces here and there and letting them grow, like the problem in the Philippines. Maybe they will strangle the island with an old fashioned blockade. Who knows what they have cooked up.

I watched this. I almost shut it off because the graphics are so bad, but it is actually pretty interesting if you watch the whole thing. An entire hypothetical war between China and Taiwan, and a lot of it seems very possible.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I watched this. I almost shut it off because the graphics are so bad, but it is actually pretty interesting if you watch the whole thing. An entire hypothetical war between China and Taiwan, and a lot of it seems very possible.

They left out the part where Joe Biden, acting on pressure from the American population, unhappy about the disruption in the supply chain of cheap crap from China, forces Taiwan to surrender. To the Taliban.