Windows 10 likes, dislikes, and questions.

journey

Many of you probably took the free offer to upgrade to Windows 10. I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I'm glad that I did.

journey

I like Windows 10 and find it fast and stable. I lack a few days in having it for a month, and I'm planning on keeping it. I had a couple of problems that were solved with updates. I liked Windows 7, but Windows 10 appears to be more friendly. Microsoft appears to be trying hard to make sure everyone is happy with Windows 10.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I like Windows 10 and find it fast and stable. I lack a few days in having it for a month, and I'm planning on keeping it. I had a couple of problems that were solved with updates. I liked Windows 7, but Windows 10 appears to be more friendly. Microsoft appears to be trying hard to make sure everyone is happy with Windows 10.

Is it a resource hog?

I don't want to upgrade my aging computer just yet, so I'm currently sticking with 7.

Foxfire

The only problem that I've encountered so far with Windows 10 is that my Firefox browser is extremely cumbersome and slow to load. Chrome works quite well with it though.

exminister

I bought a brand new laptop with Win10. I fear rebooting because it is flaky. Sometimes it takes multiple reboots to get it right. And it's Windows so rebooting is a primary ways to fix Windows.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

http://youtu.be/nn2FB1P_Mn8

If you never have seen the show "IT Crowd", you are in for a treat especially if you are geeky.

alwight

Is it a resource hog?

I don't want to upgrade my aging computer just yet, so I'm currently sticking with 7.
I have two laptop PCs one is quite powerful and converted without a hitch from W8 and seems very reliable and quick. I didn't expect too much from my old one, I just wanted to see what would happen. If anything it's put new life into it. It had been W7(originally XP iirc) and went to W10 also without a hitch and is running better than ever.
My desktop PC I had already managed to screw up somehow, so I was going to reload Windows anyway from scratch using a W8 product key but it worked fine with a W10 free download.
Yes I think W10 is very compatible and worth having particularly if it is still free.

exminister

Of course Windows is pushing McAfee for security. A number of windows versions back I bought into it. It never seemed worth it.
Anybody got thoughts on it here? Are you using it with Win10?

journey

Is it a resource hog?

I don't have any specifics or numbers for you - sorry. All I can really tell you is that Windows 10 seems faster on just about everything. One of my favorite programs is e-Sword, a Bible study program. I have thousands of add-on modules for it, and Windows 10 loads it much faster than Windows 7 did.

I think this statement is true: if you like Windows 7 on your current computer, I think you will like Windows 10 more. I don't know what you might Google to get specific resource information.

journey

The only problem that I've encountered so far with Windows 10 is that my Firefox browser is extremely cumbersome and slow to load. Chrome works quite well with it though.

I've used Firefox for years and had a problem like this once. I uninstalled it and installed Firefox fresh. That solved the problem. I read in a Mozilla forum that there are files left over with every upgrade, and they can have this kind of impact over time. I hope this helps.

journey

I bought a brand new laptop with Win10. I fear rebooting because it is flaky. Sometimes it takes multiple reboots to get it right. And it's Windows so rebooting is a primary ways to fix Windows.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

http://youtu.be/nn2FB1P_Mn8

If you never have seen the show "IT Crowd", you are in for a treat especially if you are geeky.

Thanks for the laugh on the video.

Have you had your laptop long enough to get several Windows updates? I never had a reboot problem, but I did have several minor problems that were solved with updates. Most of the major updates come out on Tuesdays.

journey

Of course Windows is pushing McAfee for security. A number of windows versions back I bought into it. It never seemed worth it.
Anybody got thoughts on it here? Are you using it with Win10?

I use the pay version of Avast Internet Security (combination anti-virus, firewall, and anti-malware). It has served me well. I think it cost $70 for two years - up to three computers. I haven't used McAfee in years, but it might be great. I try to read reviews on Softpedia before I spend any money. I started liking Avast products after using the free version of Avast anti-virus for a couple of years. Avast is easy to use and doesn't require tons of settings. I hope this helps.

exminister

Thanks for the laugh on the video.

Have you had your laptop long enough to get several Windows updates? I never had a reboot problem, but I did have several minor problems that were solved with updates. Most of the major updates come out on Tuesdays.
It does seem to do updates every time I reboot it take out of hibernation. Perhaps it's getting more stable.

exminister

I use the pay version of Avast Internet Security (combination anti-virus, firewall, and anti-malware). It has served me well. I think it cost $70 for two years - up to three computers. I haven't used McAfee in years, but it might be great. I try to read reviews on Softpedia before I spend any money. I started liking Avast products after using the free version of Avast anti-virus for a couple of years. Avast is easy to use and doesn't require tons of settings. I hope this helps.
Avast, me matey.
Thanks I will look into it.

journey

One of the things I like in Windows 10 is Windows Store. There are tons of free apps and games. Most of the free stuff involves watching an advertisement from time to time.

The Berean

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 today. Everything works fine except for one thing. I have an HP TouchSmart All-in-One PC. I have a second monitor connected using an HDMI cable. I use headphones connected through a USB port. In Windows 8.1 the headphones worked fine. But now in Windows 10 the headphones do not work. The audio is sent through the speakers of the second monitor. But when I disconnect the second monitor from the PC the headphones work. Any ideas how to fix this?