Would a Jew separate the law?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I suspect that I have read far more of it than you have. In the original.

Probably, but from what I have seen in it, and what Christ Jesus said about it, I have no problem calling it evil.

Christ Jesus called the Talmud following Pharisees a brood of vipers, an evil generation, and told them their father was Satan.

And now I expect that you will find a few poorly translated passages that are anti-Christian, or anti-gentile.

The OT was anti-Gentile, so it's not surprising the Talmud is anti-Gentile.

Putting aside what the Talmud says about Gentiles, Christians, and Jesus, what the Talmud does to the Law of Moses is enough to see that it is evil.

chair

Probably, but from what I have seen in it, and what Christ Jesus said about it, I have no problem calling it evil....

Ah. So based on lack of information, and things that Jesus could not have said (since the Talmud was compiled centuries later), you decided to hate the Talmud.

If you want to fix your ignorance someday, let me know. We can study some Talmud here together.

Chair

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ah. So based on lack of information, and things that Jesus could not have said (since the Talmud was compiled centuries later), you decided to hate the Talmud.

The traditions of the Mishnah, which was the early form of the Talmud, existed orally during the days of Christ Jesus.

It was the Scribes and Pharisees who taught these evil commandments of rabbis that were not the commandments of God.

Judaism is based on the Talmud, not the Bible.

The Jewish rabbis later added the Gemara to the Mishnah, and that is the Talmud. It exists in two versions, the Jerusalem Talmud and the Babylonian Talmud.

Most Jews today regard the Babylonian Talmud as greater than the Jerusalem Talmud.

An example from the Talmud that proves my point:

Talmud Eruvin 21b
short4.jpg

chair

The traditions of the Mishnah, which was the early form of the Talmud, existed orally during the days of Christ Jesus.

It was the Scribes and Pharisees who taught these evil commandments of rabbis that were not the commandments of God.

Judaism is based on the Talmud, not the Bible.

The Jewish rabbis later added the Gemara to the Mishnah, and that is the Talmud. It exists in two versions, the Jerusalem Talmud and the Babylonian Talmud.

Most Jews today regard the Babylonian Talmud as greater than the Jerusalem Talmud.

An example from the Talmud that proves my point:

Talmud Eruvin 21b
short4.jpg

Yup. Cherry-picking quotes.
If you want to learn something real about the Talmud, let me know.
OIf you want to frequent anti-Jewish sites as a way of learning about Judaism, go ahead. Ever hear of confirmation bias?

jzeidler

Alright.... So happy to see that we all stayed on track. And enough saying specific books are evil unless it's the Quran or mein kampf.

Let's try this again. Chair, how would a Jew interpret Gal 4:21-31? I'm not asking this to try and evangelize to you or anything like that. I am simply asking to find out how a Jew would understand this passage.

chair

Alright.... So happy to see that we all stayed on track. And enough saying specific books are evil unless it's the Quran or mein kampf.

Let's try this again. Chair, how would a Jew interpret Gal 4:21-31? I'm not asking this to try and evangelize to you or anything like that. I am simply asking to find out how a Jew would understand this passage.

It seems that the context is Christianity spreading out to non-Jews, and one has to understand the text in that context. Is it an accurate description of what is written in the Hebrew Bible? No. But it is not meant to be.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yup. Cherry-picking quotes.

The quote was from a pro-Talmud website HERE

I am very familiar with all the anti-semitic websites that take the Talmud out of context.

Why don't you tell us what Talmud Eruvin 21b says?

If you want to learn something real about the Talmud, let me know.

Does the Talmud supersede the Torah?

For example, in Israel most farmers temporarily sell their fields to non-Jews during the Sabbatical Year land rest. HERE

The Talmud says this is ok. The Torah says the fields must rest one year.

OIf you want to frequent anti-Jewish sites as a way of learning about Judaism, go ahead. Ever hear of confirmation bias?

I don't need to frequent anti-Jewish sites, all I have to do is frequent actual Jewish sites to see the blatant rejection of the Torah.

You admitted that Judaism is a living religion that has changed over the last 3,000 years. I agree, it has changed so much, it hardly resembles the law Moses was given.

In fact, it was perverted during the days of Christ, which is why Christ Jesus constantly scolded the Talmud following Pharisees.

chair

You admitted that Judaism is a living religion that has changed over the last 3,000 years. I agree, it has changed so much, it hardly resembles the law Moses was given...

It appears that you are working on several assumptions:
  1. That the "Law of Moses" is the "Word of God", and that is why it is authoritative.
  2. That human traditions are evil, especially if they differ from the "Word of God"
  3. That you an outsider have the right and duty to tell us how to run our own religion.

If this is the case, I must say that you are wrong. on all counts

Think about this for a minute: Why are the Five Books of Moses authoritative? Where do they get their importance from? If you say "because God gave this law to Moses"- then think again. How in the world do you know that?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It appears that you are working on several assumptions:

That the "Law of Moses" is the "Word of God", and that is why it is authoritative.

Correct, the law was the Word of God

That human traditions are evil, especially if they differ from the "Word of God"

Not all human traditions are evil. They are only evil if they differ from the Law of Moses (which is the Word of God).

For example, Hanukkah is a human tradition. Nowhere in the Tanakh is Hanukkah found. There is nothing evil about Hanukkah, it's simply a time that Jews celebrate an historical event. Much like how we Americans celebrate Thanksgiving.

That you an outsider have the right and duty to tell us how to run our own religion.
[/LIST]

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your religion, I'm trying to tell you that your religion has been corrupted by placing the teachings of men over the Word of God.

Think about this for a minute: Why are the Five Books of Moses authoritative? Where do they get their importance from? If you say "because God gave this law to Moses"- then think again. How in the world do you know that?

Because Moses tells us:

(Deut 4:14) And the Lord directed me at that time to teach you the decrees and laws you are to follow in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess.

jzeidler

It seems that the context is Christianity spreading out to non-Jews, and one has to understand the text in that context. Is it an accurate description of what is written in the Hebrew Bible? No. But it is not meant to be.

Understood. But would the Jew reading it think Paul is saying throw out the whole mosaic law or just the sacrificial and ceremonial?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Understood. But would the Jew reading it think Paul is saying throw out the whole mosaic law or just the sacrificial and ceremonial?

(James 2:10) For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

jzeidler

(James 2:10) For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

Agreed, which is why I'm asking about where this splitting of the law came from because I don't see it in scripture. I'm asking friendly and knowledgeable Jewish people because they know more about the law than us Christians and seeing if they have ever done such splitting. It seems like they do not so I'm wondering why so many Christians hold to this splitting of the law, probably cause someone told them there was and they accepted it blindly.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
so I'm wondering why so many Christians hold to this splitting of the law, probably cause someone told them there was and they accepted it blindly.

The same reason you hear pastors say "let's prepare for our tithes and offerings"

Every time I hear a pastor say that, I shake my head, and say to myself; this poor guy doesn't know if he is living in the Old Covenant or the New Covenant.

Same thing applies to those who keep part of the law, and claim it still applies today.

Danoh

Agreed, which is why I'm asking about where this splitting of the law came from because I don't see it in scripture. I'm asking friendly and knowledgeable Jewish people because they know more about the law than us Christians and seeing if they have ever done such splitting. It seems like they do not so I'm wondering why so many Christians hold to this splitting of the law, probably cause someone told them there was and they accepted it blindly.

In the end, this is an issue you will just have to solve for, for yourself to a great extent, as there are just too many views and or preferences, out there about this, Rom. 14:23.

chair

Because Moses tells us:

(Deut 4:14) And the Lord directed me at that time to teach you the decrees and laws you are to follow in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess.

Circular reasoning. We should accept this ancient text because it says we ought to?