‘My son is not the same’: New testimony paints bleak picture of family separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
well, i wouldn't want her around my children, and I wouldn't want to be stuck on the bus with her, but...

her behavior is nothing I don't experience every day, especially in the er - she seems very familiar to me, older, overweight woman, riding the bus, probably struggling financially, probably a single mother, probably a lot of poor relationship choices, probably involved in reciprocally abusive relationships, chronic health issues exacerbated by poor diet choices, poor lifestyle choices, etc...

... and ready to lash out irrationally when she feels wronged - this is so common in the poorer populations I see as to be unremarkable

This is totally not funny, and yet it is... and so blatant it's surreal.

"Does it make you feel better to label her?"

You're willing to cut her all kinds of slack while she's being a racist piece of work, at the same time you're saying vile things about immigrant parents just looking for sanctuary.

glorydaz

This is totally not funny, and yet it is... and so blatant it's surreal.

"Does it make you feel better to label her?"

You're willing to cut her all kinds of slack while she's being a racist piece of work, at the same time you're saying vile things about immigrant parents just looking for sanctuary.

Boo Hoo

glorydaz

Just another ugly American, just like this one:

Warning: lots of bleeps

Where are your videos of Antifa protestors or your videos of pink hatted feminists? There are plenty of bleeps in those, too. Do you think we all don't know they exist?

Perhaps Anna is trying to appeal to someones emotions. :think:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
[FONT=&]Judy Melinek, a San Francisco forensic pathologist who reviewed Martinez's autopsy report at the request of The Washington Post, said the injuries described in the report were more consistent with an accident or fall than an assault.[/FONT]

[FONT=&]Melinek stressed that the report contains limited information, and she didn't have access to photos, X-rays and other materials available to the El Paso medical examiner who performed the autopsy.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]"He doesn't have injuries on his back and front. He doesn't have injuries on both sides of his body. They are all on the right side and in line with each other. There are also no defensive injuries on the arms or hands," she said. "The absence of defensive injuries and a single plane of injury is more consistent with an accident than a homicide."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]Backers of Trump's plans for a border wall have continued to insist Martinez was murdered and challenged others who have cast doubt on the version of the event advanced by union officials.[/FONT]

This isn't about reality for those guys. So they dance on Martinez's grave because it fits their agenda.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Trump admin hands over names of children under 5 separated at border

The Trump administration on Saturday released the names of children under the age of 5 who were separated from their parents at the US-Mexico border, complying with a federal court order.

The move comes in advance of a Monday hearing on whether to extend the Tuesday deadline for reuniting the children with their families.

The American Civil Liberties Union received the list of the names of the nearly 100 children under the age of 5 who were separated from their parents at the border, according to a group spokesman.

US District Court Judge Dana Sabraw in San Diego ordered the list to be handed over by Saturday evening as he considers whether to extend the Tuesday deadline to reunify the families. But government officials say they need additional time to track down dozens of parents who are no longer in custody, including 19 who were already deported, Justice Department attorney Sarah Fabian said at a hearing Friday.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
its easy to dismiss her as an "ugly american" but i saw no evidence of cognitive impairment, just a woman who was unhappy with something (we never see the beginnings in these videos, the precipitating factors, do we?) and whose language was coarse

She was O.K. legally, when she was just spewing hatred. That's her First Amendment right. When she completely lost it and physically attacked others, she crossed the line into criminal behavior.

She does seem mentally ill. It goes without saying that a mentally stable person doesn't go off on a tangent and suddenly attack other people. But then, not much different from other people who hate immigrants.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
She was O.K. legally, when she was just spewing hatred. That's her First Amendment right. When she completely lost it and physically attacked others, she crossed the line into criminal behavior.

She does seem mentally ill. It goes without saying that a mentally stable person doesn't go off on a tangent and suddenly attack other people. But then, not much different from other people who hate immigrants.

The restraint of those on the receiving end of that hatred was commendable.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The restraint of those on the receiving end of that hatred was commendable.

of course, we never see the behavior that precipitated her outburst

Anna - aren't you on a path to become a social worker or something?

How do you plan to deal with a client like this woman?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

There is no excuse for crossing the line into physical aggression. The law allows one to be vulgar and hateful, so long as there is not threat or actual physical aggression. If someone had called her names or made rude gestures, there would still be no excuse for physical attacks. And of course, since she said her fury was because she didn't want those people in "her country" (which is also likely their country) there's no evidence they did anything at all to set her off.

People like that often respond better to medication than to counseling. There's a good probability that she already is a client, who likes herself better off meds than on them.

ok doser

There is no excuse for crossing the line into physical aggression. The law allows one to be vulgar and hateful, so long as there is not threat or actual physical aggression. If someone had called her names or made rude gestures, there would still be no excuse for physical attacks. And of course, since she said her fury was because she didn't want those people in "her country" (which is also likely their country) there's no evidence they did anything at all to set her off.

People like that often respond better to medication than to counseling. There's a good probability that she already is a client, who likes herself better off meds than on them.

You saw "fury"?

I saw anger :idunno:

ClimateSanity

You wanted him to feel miserable. He said he wishes the same for you. The comment not really makes no sense in that context.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Are you assuming there was something that would reflect badly on the person doing the recording? According to news reports, as soon as she got on the bus she started arguing with the bus driver, who called the police.

I was, planning to enter the program after I graduated last year. Had to give that up for the time being.

I wouldn't presume to know more than I've been taught, I don't have the certification hours and wouldn't pretend otherwise. So just as an observer, I think in that situation the best road was taken. The recipients of her abuse stayed calm and the bus driver called police. I can't think of a better way to have dealt with it at that moment. Can you?

ClimateSanity

Why ugly American instead of ugly person? Are you saying Americans are more ugly than other nationalities? I know you didn't call her a racist but the title of the video does. Why that title? Is it that she had no idea if they were illegals or not? There may be reasons for assuming that in her part of the country. That being said, she has every right to beangry at illegal Immigration , although she got quite nasty and violent.....but racist??? That's mind reading.... unless you think anti illegal Immigration is racist itself.

ClimateSanity

By the way,. We are not a nation of immigrants as if that were our defining characteristic.

Also, there is a difference between a settler and an immigrant. A settler establishes a new community in a new land. An immigrant joins that community and eventually becomes absorbed into the new culture.

ok doser

Are you assuming there was something that would reflect badly on the person doing the recording?

for a normal person to behave like that, I would expect there to have been a precipitating factor

According to news reports, as soon as she got on the bus she started arguing with the bus driver, who called the police.

ok, didn't know that part

looks like the precipitating factor may have been mental illness, or at least poor anger control

I was, planning to enter the program after I graduated last year. Had to give that up for the time being.

our paths aren't always linear

if it's something you feel drawn to, I hope you have the opportunity to pursue it

I wouldn't presume to know more than I've been taught, I don't have the certification hours and wouldn't pretend otherwise. So just as an observer, I think in that situation the best road was taken. The recipients of her abuse stayed calm and the bus driver called police. I can't think of a better way to have dealt with it at that moment. Can you?

i agree

good thing her son was there to intervene

don't have time to search it, but have they interviewed the son?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
By the way,. We are not a nation of immigrants as if that were our defining characteristic.
Sure we are, but you have to understand that when someone says that they don't mean most of the people living here today just arrived. :plain:

Also, there is a difference between a settler and an immigrant.
If not to the people who might already be living in the place where "settlers" immigrate.

A settler establishes a new community in a new land.
Frequently someone else's. Then they form a government and establish property rights.

Nice work, if you can get it.

You wanted him to feel miserable. He said he wishes the same for you. The comment not really makes no sense in that context.
You know, when you come right down to it, lots of comments not really make no sense in that context. :plain:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You saw "fury"? :idunno:

When a person jumps up out of a bus seat and attacks someone who's sitting there, yes, fury. She was working herself up, clearly agitated as the other people on the bus weren't responding in kind to her taunts.

Finally, she couldn't contain it any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.