2015 Was the Hottest Year on Record, by a Stunning Margin

elohiym

How do you figure that?

Why do we need CO2 to be present in the air we breathe?

You should do some research on the human health benefits of increased CO2.

If you put your head inside of a plastic bag and seal it, what do you think happens to you as the CO2 level increases?

People breathe into paper bags. Why is increasing CO2 helpful then?

If you removed the CO2 from the atmosphere, you would die.

CO2 is a human waste product.

You need to breath CO2 to survive.

In some plants and fruits the nutrient values increase. The decreases seem relatively insignificant. We'll evolve, right? The known benefits of increased CO2 to agriculture seem to outweigh the results of that one study. What is the optimal CO2 ppm for plants? What was the average CO2 ppm in the atmosphere over the last several hundred million years?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you put your head inside of a plastic bag and seal it, what do you think happens to you as the CO2 level increases?

Same thing that happens if you put your head in a bag full of O2 and breathe it. :rolleyes:

Why are Darwinists so stupid?

Alate_One

Why do we need CO2 to be present in the air we breathe?
We produce CO2 just fine through a process called cellular respiration.

You should do some research on the human health benefits of increased CO2.
If you're going to make a claim, how about you support it like I did?

People breathe into paper bags. Why is increasing CO2 helpful then?
Because you do need CO2 as a buffering agent. If you're panicking, it's to stop you from releasing too much CO2 and going into alkalosis. But if you always breathe into a paper bag you're going to either suffocate or suffer from acidosis.

There is such a thing as too much of something that is a good thing in some situations. You do understand that concept, right?

If you removed the CO2 from the atmosphere, you would die.
Uhh, no. You produce your own, constantly in a lot higher concentrations than what's in the atmosphere, about 100 times more.

You need to breath CO2 to survive.
Give me a citation for this. You release CO2 in your breath - you do need to do that to survive.

In some plants and fruits the nutrient values increase. The decreases seem relatively insignificant.
So says you. Citation?

We'll evolve, right?
Evolution takes multiple generations. You don't do it in 10 years, certainly not as human beings.

The known benefits of increased CO2 to agriculture seem to outweigh the results of that one study.
Uhh no that's not what most studies have said. Increased temperatures are bad for evaporation rates which is the largest limiter of plant growth - water.

And really water controls the CO2 content inside the leaf (which is what matters) more than the CO2 concentration in the air.

The impacts of climate change on agriculture have been forecast to be mostly negative, despite CO2 increases. This is due to the increase of weeds, extreme weather events and insects that will follow an increase in temperature and climate instability.

A few places that are very high elevation or very cold will benefit, Canada for example. Lucky me, I have family in Canada. :p

What is the optimal CO2 ppm for plants?
It depends on the plants. Some plants, like corn and sugarcane receive little to no benefit from increased CO2.

What was the average CO2 ppm in the atmosphere over the last several hundred million years?

Since humans have been around, it's never varied over about 250ppm. We're now at 400ppm.
5_2_13_news_andrew_co2800000yrs_1050_591_s_c1_c_c.jpg

source
If you go far back enough, CO2 has been higher. But it hasn't been this high since humans have existed.

Alate_One

Same thing that happens if you put your head in a bag full of O2 and breathe it. :rolleyes:

Why are Darwinists so stupid?

People don't die from 100% oxygen, it will tend to cause alkalosis over time though. In your situation - in a bag you'd be re-breathing your own CO2 immediately. Not really a problem till you used up the O2. :p

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not really a problem till you used up the O2.
Which is to say that your nonsense question would see the person die a little bit later.

Try to think through your attempts at mockery a bit more carefully. :up:

Alate_One

Which is to say that your nonsense question would see the person die a little bit later.

Try to think through your attempts at mockery a bit more carefully. :up:
Putting your head in a bag will kill you eventually, unless it's a really big bag with plants in it - but your example with O2 would kill you the LEAST quickly.

So your attempt to say O2 is just as deadly as CO2 is simply wrong and you didn't know enough to recognize it.

Increasing CO2 levels and the warming that comes with it aren't good for anyone, unless you live somewhere in the north (bot not too far north) and away from the oceans.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your attempt to say O2 is just as deadly as CO2 is simply wrong.
Fortunately, I "attempted" to say nothing of the sort.

It doesn't pay to lie when the record of the conversation is there for all to see, um?

Increasing CO2 levels and the warming that comes with it aren't good for anyone, unless you live somewhere in the north (bot not too far north) and away from the oceans.
Nobody said it was. :idunno:

You have no idea what the opposition is to your demands that the world bow to the warmist agenda.

ClimateSanity

Uhh no that's not what most studies have said. Increased temperatures are bad for evaporation rates which is the largest limiter of plant growth - water.

Since humans have been around, it's never varied over about 250ppm. We're now at 400ppm.
5_2_13_news_andrew_co2800000yrs_1050_591_s_c1_c_c.jpg

source
If you go far back enough, CO2 has been higher. But it hasn't been this high since humans have existed.

Point#1
You don't state how much temperature increase is bad for plants. The studies he is referring to have the co2 ppm at very high concentrations. The benefits at those concentrations are quite high. You assume there is a concomitant increase in temperature to go with that. We don't know what the climate sensitivity is to co2 yet. It appears to be around .6 ° F for a doubling of co2. At that sensitivity, the benefits are already gained before any damaging temperature is reached.

Point #2

There are other methods of measuring past co2 concentrations that show many periods of high co2 levels in the Holocene. Ice cores have a very low resolution and cannot show concentration spikes less than 100 years in length.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
armenia is in the Caucasus region

doesn't that make her more Caucasian than the english?

elohiym

We produce CO2 just fine through a process called cellular respiration.

Then why do we need exogenous CO2 sometimes?

....If you're panicking, it's to stop you from releasing too much CO2 and going into alkalosis.

That implies the alveoli transport exogenous CO2 into the blood stream, doesn't it? Or are you suggesting holding a bag over your face prevent the alveoli from eliminating waste CO2?

There is such a thing as too much of something that is a good thing in some situations. You do understand that concept, right?

Yes, that's why I asked you about optimal CO2 levels.

Uhh, no. You produce your own, constantly in a lot higher concentrations than what's in the atmosphere, about 100 times more.

Still, hypocapnia occurs, and it can be corrected therapeutically by increasing exogenous CO2. Go figure.

Give me a citation for this.

Give me a citation that proves humans require no exogenous CO2 to survive since that's what you are implying. What I believe appears self-evident.

elohiym said:
In some plants and fruits the nutrient values increase.
So says you. Citation?

The effect of elevated atmospheric CO2 on the vitamin C concentration of (sour) orange juice

How high was it while plants were still thriving?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok doser

armenia is in the Caucasus region

doesn't that make her more Caucasian than the english?

I suppose so. But she has jungle fever and once said that she doesn't find Armenian men attractive. Way to insult an entire culture!

I would laugh at your politically incorrect comment, but my fan club would document it and use it to prove that I am a racist.

(I'm not sure what Ms. Brucette Jenner's step daughter has to do with climate change).