A Consistently Pro-Life Message

Stuu

they are direct responses to a question asked

see if you can figure out how they answer that question
Well I think I can work out what you are driving at, but it looks to me like you are trying to equivocate. So if you are unable to make your point explicitly on this occasion, I will accept your concession.

Stuart

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The right to consent over what medical treatments or procedures you have or don't have.

Stuart

if a woman chooses to have a healthy limb amputated, should she be allowed to?

if a woman chooses to exercise her parental rights and refuse lifesaving treatment for her injured child, should she be allowed to?

ok, i'll connect the dots for you

we don't allow an unlimited "right to consent over what medical treatments or procedures you have or don't have"

never have

never will

so I'll go back to my question that started this and ask you again:

what rights are you referring to?

Stuu

ok, i'll connect the dots for you
Let me express my gratitude for your extreme benevolence. You see, I'm not very bright.

we don't allow an unlimited "right to consent over what medical treatments or procedures you have or don't have"

never have

never will
Who is 'we'?

What do you mean by 'unlimited'?

Equivocation.

Stuart

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
if a woman chooses to have a healthy limb amputated, should she be allowed to?

if a woman chooses to exercise her parental rights and refuse lifesaving treatment for her injured child, should she be allowed to?

So you're saying that our society does justly impede personal choices in some cases. Very simple to understand. Great point!

Stuu

So you're saying that our society does justly impede personal choices in some cases. Very simple to understand. Great point!
How is that a 'great point' when the discussion is very specifically about medical consent?

Good grief.

Stuart

Stuu

And what is 'society'? Is it a tribunal of medical ethics? Is it a group of busy-body religious zealots? Is it the constitution of a nation?

"without limits", aka, complete autonomy
Do you have anything specific to say?

Otherwise I shall reject your claim to have any veto over the decisions I will be making about what people do medically for me, and I strongly suggest you stand up for your right to do the same for yourself.

If you can think of any pertinent, relevant exception to that then please educate me.

Stuart

ok doser

And what is 'society'?

so·ci·e·ty
səˈsīədē/
noun
the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.
"drugs, crime, and other dangers to society"
synonyms: the community, the (general) public, the people, the population; More

Is it a tribunal of medical ethics?

in some situations, yes

Is it a group of busy-body religious zealots?[

in some situations, yes

Is it the constitution of a nation?

in some situations, yes

Do you have anything specific to say?

yes

what rights were you referring to in post 59?

ok doser

.... I shall reject your claim to have any veto over the decisions I will be making about what people do medically for me....

then you better make sure you have a living will, power of attorney and other medical directives clearly specified

'cause once you're a vegetable, society makes the decisions for you

ok doser

...I shall reject your claim to have any veto over the decisions I will be making about what people do medically for me....

:doh:

we already do, stuu

i gave you two examples

we don't allow people to have healthy limbs amputated

and we don't allow women to self-abort advanced stage pregnancies

Stuu

:doh:

we already do, stuu

i gave you two examples

we don't allow people to have healthy limbs amputated
Who do you mean? People suffering from Body integrity identity disorder have healthy limbs amputated. I understand that such people will often agree to psychological treatment, but if that fails there is no law that says they can't ask a sympathetic surgeon to remove a healthy limb. Maybe there is in your country.

Even if you had been right about this not being allowed, your example is marginal at best. How do the numbers of people suffering from conditions that make them desire limb removal compare to the numbers seeking abortion, for whatever reasons they might have? Is that one of your best arguments, that because we place limitations on people with psychological conditions that might place them or others in danger, we should restrict abortion?

and we don't allow women to self-abort advanced stage pregnancies
What do you mean by self-abort?

There are no 'term' restrictions in Canada, Vietnam or China. Elsewhere it varies, and most countries allow women to choose to have life-saving terminations. The main factor influencing the resistance to late-term abortions across the world (and indeed any abortion right at all) seems to be the prevalence of particular religious beliefs in that culture.

Stuart

alwight

You said a "late term" pregnancy which typically is not something for DIY by a rational person nor even most back street abortionists imo. I personally would never condone any such thing.
Unlicensed people should not be allowed to practice surgical procedures period, however this is not about how the deed is done it is about should it be an allowable choice to have it done efficiently by those who know how to deal with it and who can cover all eventualities.
I am pro choice but if a woman has had a reasonable opportunity at some earlier point to choose an abortion then for me changing her mind at the last minute is not something I at least would happily approve of without a good medical reason.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
How is that a 'great point' when the discussion is very specifically about medical consent?

Good grief.
Good grief. Are you suggesting removal of a healthy limb would not be medical? Who would do it? An appliance repairman? A postal worker? Maybe a stock broker?

...they can't ask a sympathetic surgeon to remove a healthy limb.
Surgeon! Sounds medical to me.

Now, you should answer ok doser.