a fertiziled human egg is not "potential life" but ACTUAL LIFE

fool

Hall of Fame
Fertilised eggs are potential. Fertilised chicken eggs are potential chickens; fertilised human eggs are potential humans. Why this is difficult for anyone to understand amazes me.

Cause you have it wrong.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
yeh, you hear this a lot... how a fertilized egg is potential life... will turn into human life...

PLEASE

It either is or it is not human life

by this kind of "logic" (choke, choke), you could say that a 20 yr old is more human than a 5 year old...

As they say

If it is alive, don't kill it

If it is not human, what is it?

++++
So let's focus on war, capital punishment, and genocide as well. And the life and care of human beings AFTER they are born.

Pope Francis has it down pat. He's morally consistent and I have respect for that. But of course his actions remind us of what we have all forgotten about when it comes to Jesus.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
You're wrong, biologically speaking. When is the very beginning of each individual human life? You tell us...
Genesis tells us that human life began when Adam took his first breath after God breathed into his nostrils.

But because my comments and observations are often judged as blasphemous and disruptive, I might well be banned for pointing this out.

WizardofOz

Genesis tells us that human life began when Adam took his first breath after God breathed into his nostrils.

What was Adam prior? He didn't didn't exactly have a typical human development. He certainly was never a fertilized egg.

But because my comments and observations are often judged as blasphemous and disruptive, I might well be banned for pointing this out.

What, you don't like it when debate can no longer take place? ;)

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
What was Adam prior? He didn't didn't exactly have a typical human development. He certainly was never a fertilized egg.

What, you don't like it when debate can no longer take place? ;)
If he was, the literal text is not clear on that point is it?

We can only go by what is there. Arguing from absence makes no common sense.

For example, Paul clearly says Jesus was buried. Does he mean in the ground? Well, he certainly describes the resurrection in metaphors for burying and harvesting out of the soil.

He appears to have had no knowledge of the empty tomb tradition and that would be believable since his letters were the first and earliest contributions to the New Testament. But based on what is actually there IN the text, we cannot say for sure.

WizardofOz

My point is that since Adam was created as a man, not as a baby, he has no bearing on the debate of when human life begins.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
My point is that since Adam was created as a man, not as a baby, he has no bearing on the debate of when human life begins.
I look at that story in terms of myth, which is the closest thing we humans have for explaining absolute truth.
I don't believe in people being created 6,000 years ago by a giant figure in the sky.

But nevertheless, the Bible has much to enlighten and teach us.

WizardofOz

Diverse and authentic debate enlarges the pool of meaning. Diversity is healthy in a farmer's crop, a rain forest or a president's cabinet. Or any other population.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wisdom-Crowds-James-Surowiecki/dp/0385721706

It is interesting that you seem to have mischaracterized my comments. I was not referring to debate at ALL !

:chuckle: I was joking. I can't stand the current state of TOL moderation. What's the point of responding to a poster?

WizardofOz

I look at that story in terms of myth, which is the closest thing we humans have for explaining absolute truth.
I don't believe in people being created 6,000 years ago by a giant figure in the sky.

But nevertheless, the Bible has much to enlighten and teach us.

Agreed. Which follows that the topic of Adam is largely off-topic from the discussion of when human life begins...

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Agreed. Which follows that the topic of Adam is largely off-topic from the discussion of when human life begins...
Not to some committed Christians. But if they insist on taking the sacred and holy language of their Bible literally maybe we should just try to meet them there.

But what do I know?

WizardofOz

Not to some committed Christians. But if they insist on taking the sacred and holy language of their Bible literally maybe we should just try to meet them there.

But what do I know?

Because that type of literalism would declare that no baby is a human until it takes its first breath.

republicanchick

I believe Moses wrote Genesis (Adam and Eve)

He was the man closest to God in those days. He can be trusted.. whether the story is entirely literal or not

___

quip

BANNED
Banned
Fertilised eggs are potential. Fertilised chicken eggs are potential chickens; fertilised human eggs are potential humans. Why this is difficult for anyone to understand amazes me.
You're wrong, biologically speaking. When is the very beginning of each individual human life? You tell us...

Similar to the beginnings of each individual chicken.

And I don't speak biologically whilst I enjoy my eggs....with toast and butter. . . .it's poor for the digestion! :chew:

republicanchick

The Jewish people wrote down their history

While thye were humans, nonetheless... they wrote down history, which history has been confirmed by pagan historians throughout history

There is something about the Word of God that just ... you just know it IS the Word of God... True, that "knowing" is not absolute, irrefutable proof... but you know.. so much of life is... faith

you get up every morning having faith in such things as

the coffee pot will make coffee 4 me

my car will get me there (probably)

if not, the mechanic can fix it

if not, some other mechanic can

and etc....

that's faith, too

___

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
First, there are honest differences of opinion.

Second, abortion will always be an option for good people feeling trapped and discouraged because the surrounding culture does little to help them.

Third, I was amazed when I learned that certain folks in my own faith community were pro-life but then became definitely pro-family when their daughters got pregnant. Not a lot, but there WERE some.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Adam became living with that first breath.

I see a connection. But of course I am one of those who picks up similar patterns in disparate places.