A problem with open theism (HOF thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrob57

Prior to coming to this forum, I was unfamiliar with open theism, and my understanding of it is incomplete at best. From what I have read, however, the idea that the future does not exist and, therefore, God cannot know the future is central to the doctrine.

I wanted to put forth a few points that, to me, seem to cast doubt on this idea, even if the future, in fact, does not exist.

The basic fact that causes problems, I think, is that the outcome of deterministic processes is knowable, even if the outcome has not yet occured. For example, if I have a pot of water at room temperature, I can predict that the water will start to boil once I raise it to a given temperature for a certain amount of time. If I start to raise the temperature of the water, I can predict its future, even though it does not as yet exist.

Boiling water, of course, is a simple process. Matters such as human behavior are seemingly much more complex. However, the complexity of the matter does not alter its predictability if the causal processes are known. I don't think that any Christian, would argue that God does not know the causal processes that drive human behavior, or the processes that drive any phenomenon that occurs in the world, the universe, etc. Our inability to predict the future with certainty is due to our imperfect or even erroneous knowledge of causal mechanisms. This is not a limitation of God.

The alternative would be that human behavior and other phenomenon are simply random processes, predictable within some given level of precision, but definitely not predictable with certainty. This is a possibility, but we don't have any reason to believe it is true. Chaos theory tells us, for example, that even simple deterministic processes can manifest themselves as random. And if phenomenon are random, they are only random in a bounded way. It would be foolish to argue that deterministic processes do not exist. If some processes contain a random element, this limits the ability to predict with accuracy but the limitation to accuracy depends on the magnitude of the random element. And, it is possible, that random (or stochastic) processes do not actually exist.

So, this being the case, the argument that God does not know the future, or only knows it in a contingent way, seems problematic. If God does know the future, then the ideas that God changes his mind, does not act until He sees what people will do, etc. seem to lose credibility.

Just interested in your thoughts.

Last edited:

Carver

First, let me say that I am not an Open Theist. However, I know the argument quite well, and can think as an Open Theist fairly well. That being said:

Okay, runing with your boiling water scenario for a second, the pot with the water in it can't choose to walk off of the burner. Humans can choose to walk away. This is why God (according to Open Theism) doesn't know the future. God does perfectly understand all the causes and factors relevant to each choice. Further, even without that knowledge, though more easily because of it, God knows all possible outcomes of each decision made. However, as that choice has not yet been made, God cannot know for certain which possible outcome will come to pass. From the Open Theist viewpoint, all questions of whether God can know the future are the same as asking whether God can make a rock so big that He can't move it - unanswerable because the questions themselves are fallacious

Do deterministic situations have to exist? Absolutely yes. Case in point: where, when, and to whom one is born. However, one part of one's life being determined does not necessarily mean that the rest is determined as well. As for the rest of your Chaos theory talk, I've not read enough about Chaos theory to warrant my arguing either for or against it.

docrob57

Carver said:
First, let me say that I am not an Open Theist. However, I know the argument quite well, and can think as an Open Theist fairly well. That being said:

Okay, runing with your boiling water scenario for a second, the pot with the water in it can't choose to walk off of the burner. Humans can choose to walk away. This is why God (according to Open Theism) doesn't know the future. God does perfectly understand all the causes and factors relevant to each choice. Further, even without that knowledge, though more easily because of it, God knows all possible outcomes of each decision made. However, as that choice has not yet been made, God cannot know for certain which possible outcome will come to pass. From the Open Theist viewpoint, all questions of whether God can know the future are the same as asking whether God can make a rock so big that He can't move it - unanswerable because the questions themselves are fallacious

Do deterministic situations have to exist? Absolutely yes. Case in point: where, when, and to whom one is born. However, one part of one's life being determined does not necessarily mean that the rest is determined as well. As for the rest of your Chaos theory talk, I've not read enough about Chaos theory to warrant my arguing either for or against it.

Well first off, thanks for responding. The problem with your arguments is that it assumes that choices have no cause. If they do, then it would seem that my argument holds.

Carver

I may have been unclear. Also, I may be worse than I thought at defending that which I don't personally believe. Here's some clarification: choices have causes certainly, but if humans (as Open Theism says) have free will, then they can act somewhat indepentantly (sp?) of those causes. Free will implies unpredictability. So, while there are still causal relationships between pretty much every event ever, a rule of human behavior which says, 'Given causes a,b,c,d and e, person x will do y' can't work because of the unpredictability of free will.

I'm not sure that made any sense. But, I can't really seem to improve on how I said it, so I'm going to post it, but with it are my apologies for it's lack of clarity.

docrob57

Carver said:
I may have been unclear. Also, I may be worse than I thought at defending that which I don't personally believe. Here's some clarification: choices have causes certainly, but if humans (as Open Theism says) have free will, then they can act somewhat indepentantly (sp?) of those causes. Free will implies unpredictability. So, while there are still causal relationships between pretty much every event ever, a rule of human behavior which says, 'Given causes a,b,c,d and e, person x will do y' can't work because of the unpredictability of free will.

I'm not sure that made any sense. But, I can't really seem to improve on how I said it, so I'm going to post it, but with it are my apologies for it's lack of clarity.

I started to say something and then I realized that I was wrong. I guess if what I said is true, then free will, at least as generally conceived, doesn't exist. I basically believe this, so at least I am not contradicting myself. Thanks again for discussing this. I was hoping to hear from some open theists, but such is life.

Agape4Robin

When talking about free will, in the open theist view.... is it libertarian free will or compatibillist free will that the OTV holds to?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
docrob57 said:
Well first off, thanks for responding. The problem with your arguments is that it assumes that choices have no cause. If they do, then it would seem that my argument holds.

The will is the root of choices. The will can inherently chose between alternatives. The will is not determined or caused by an outside, coercive force. We are free moral agents. This is why we are responsible/accountable. We are in the spiritual, moral, and personal (will, intellect, emotions) image of God.

God governs inanimate objects with the law of cause and effect. These things, like your boiling pot, are predictable (though I could come along and kick the pot off the stove or turn the heat down).

He governs animate creation by instinct. He does not have to cause animals to migrate or reproduce. They have an in-built sense or ability.

He governs moral agents by the law of love and freedom. We are not pots on the stove.

Modal logic shows that there is a difference between possibilities, probabilities, certainties/actualities, necessities, etc. We should not blur the distinctions. Exhaustive foreknowledge of future free will contingencies is an absurdity, even for an omniscient being (knows all that is knowable). Either give up exhaustive foreknowledge (Open Theism) or give up genuine free will (Calvinism). Open Theism does not compromise the omniscience of God. God correctly knows things as possibilities, probabilites, or certainties. It is the object of His knowledge or nature of the future that is an issue, not His perfect omniscience (knows past and present perfectly; knows some of the future as settled and some of the future as open).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God_Is_Truth said:
If God knows a closed future, contingency does not exist.

Calvinistic determinism is closer to fatalistic Islam than to biblical Christianity.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Agape4Robin said:
When talking about free will, in the open theist view.... is it libertarian free will or compatibillist free will that the OTV holds to?

Libertarian, genuine free will is the only legit. free will (incompatibilism). Compatibilistic 'free will' is an incoherent concept and is not genuine free will. It is trying to soften the problematic, deterministic issues of Calvinism (e.g. makes God responsible for heinous evil, contrary to His character and ways).

Free will is a self-evident concept. I do not understand the mental gymnastics to deny it in order to cling to a deductive, preconceived philosophy.

Agape4Robin

godrulz said:
Libertarian, genuine free will is the only legit. free will (incompatibilism). Compatibilistic 'free will' is an incoherent concept and is not genuine free will. It is trying to soften the problematic, deterministic issues of Calvinism (e.g. makes God responsible for heinous evil, contrary to His character and ways).

Free will is a self-evident concept. I do not understand the mental gymnastics to deny it in order to cling to a deductive, preconceived philosophy.
So then does God ever interfere with or intervene on man's free will?

justchristian

The argument of exaustive foreknowledge to me is moot. Let's say for a moment the future is not closed, and that God's foreknowledge is complete when it comes to anything not human, that God knows "all possibilities, probabilities and certainties," and let's assume God knows us better than we know ourselves. So our will is the only thing God cannot know for certain about the future. But if God knows all other factors of our enviromnent, how those will affect us, and our personality and tendencies, it would stand to reason he could accurately predict our actions with slim to no chance of error. Taking into account his dynamic will capable of rearranging his plans in a instant (in response to our will) to work in all things for the good of those who love him, the fact of the future not being closed just seems moot.

Agape4Robin

justchristian said:
The argument of exaustive foreknowledge to me is moot. Let's say for a moment the future is not closed, and that God's foreknowledge is complete when it comes to anything not human, that God knows "all possibilities, probabilities and certainties," and let's assume God knows us better than we know ourselves. So our will is the only thing God cannot know for certain about the future. But if God knows all other factors of our enviromnent, how those will affect us, and our personality and tendencies, it would stand to reason he could accurately predict our actions with slim to no chance of error. Taking into account his dynamic will capable of rearranging his plans in a instant (in response to our will) to work in all things for the good of those who love him, the fact of the future not being closed just seems moot.
I tend to agree with you.......

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Agape4Robin said:
So then does God ever interfere with or intervene on man's free will?
I’m not 100 % sure how to answer that. There are certainly times when God coerces people toward one choice over another. I guess I would say, for the most part, that person is still responsible for the choice. A clear exception to that would be when God struck people dead. I’m pretty sure that puts a real damper on free will!

asilentskeptic

deardelmar said:
I’m not 100 % sure how to answer that. There are certainly times when God coerces people toward one choice over another. I guess I would say, for the most part, that person is still responsible for the choice. A clear exception to that would be when God struck people dead. I’m pretty sure that puts a real damper on free will!

There are definitely some questions regarding the issue. God directly interfered in Sauls life (causing his conversion to Paul.) That is definitely not in the norm, and definitely interrupts several basic "Tenents of Scripture". How much did Paul have to accept on Faith after a dramatic showing of the Power of God, and an actual personal message from Christ? Talk about an interruption in the process of Free Will :) It changed Pauls choices considerably.

Does that make God a "respector of persons"? He did choose Paul for a specific purpose and fast-tracked Him onto "the path". Why not with everyone else? Hmm, things to ponder.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
justchristian said:
The argument of exaustive foreknowledge to me is moot. Let's say for a moment the future is not closed, and that God's foreknowledge is complete when it comes to anything not human, that God knows "all possibilities, probabilities and certainties," and let's assume God knows us better than we know ourselves. So our will is the only thing God cannot know for certain about the future.
indeed
But if God knows all other factors of our enviromnent, how those will affect us, and our personality and tendencies, it would stand to reason he could accurately predict our actions with slim to no chance of error.
slim chance of error multipyed by billions of human choices per second over the span of human existance!
Taking into account his dynamic will capable of rearranging his plans in a instant (in response to our will) to work in all things for the good of those who love him, the fact of the future not being closed just seems moot.
God having a dynamic will capable of rearranging his plans pretty much makes the entire case for the open veiw!

julie21

DearDelmar: slim chance of error multipyed by billions of human choices per second over the span of human existance!
But that's just it DD...God can't be limited at all, therefore I would say there is not a slim chance at all of His not being able to calculate what each will do. I believe that He knows for sure each and every moment of the day what each one will do, exactly.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
julie21 said:
But that's just it DD...God can't be limited at all, therefore I would say there is not a slim chance at all of His not being able to calculate what each will do. I believe that He knows for sure each and every moment of the day what each one will do, exactly.
Do you also believe, right now, that God knows who will win the 2047 World Series? Could you believe he could know this without believing he is outside of time?

docrob57

godrulz said:
The will is the root of choices. The will can inherently chose between alternatives. The will is not determined or caused by an outside, coercive force. We are free moral agents. This is why we are responsible/accountable. We are in the spiritual, moral, and personal (will, intellect, emotions) image of God.

God governs inanimate objects with the law of cause and effect. These things, like your boiling pot, are predictable (though I could come along and kick the pot off the stove or turn the heat down).

He governs animate creation by instinct. He does not have to cause animals to migrate or reproduce. They have an in-built sense or ability.

He governs moral agents by the law of love and freedom. We are not pots on the stove.

Modal logic shows that there is a difference between possibilities, probabilities, certainties/actualities, necessities, etc. We should not blur the distinctions. Exhaustive foreknowledge of future free will contingencies is an absurdity, even for an omniscient being (knows all that is knowable). Either give up exhaustive foreknowledge (Open Theism) or give up genuine free will (Calvinism). Open Theism does not compromise the omniscience of God. God correctly knows things as possibilities, probabilites, or certainties. It is the object of His knowledge or nature of the future that is an issue, not His perfect omniscience (knows past and present perfectly; knows some of the future as settled and some of the future as open).

The problem with trying to dismiss the causality of human behavior as a matter of the will is it begs the question of what causes free will choices. I agree that the range is between probability and certainty, however, to say that free will behavior is probabalistic in nature really means that it is random within certain boundaries, that is uncaused. This seems to me to be a hard argument to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.