Absolute Divine Immutability: Does Anyone Really Believe It?

popsthebuilder

Please elaborate!
Perhaps I have once again mistaken what you were trying to convey. I cannot say with 100% certainty that the Son of God was not simply the embodiment of God in physical form. With that being said, I do believe that Jesus of Nazareth was predestined from before the creation of time or earth. All things are possible through God and for me to assume otherwise, or to seem as if I assume otherwise is wrong and confusing to my general message. Thank you.

oatmeal

Is there anyone here who is willing to state, without qualification, that God is immutable?

To clarify, is there anyone here who believes that God has not ever changed nor is He capable of changing in any way whatseover?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Hebrews 6:16-18

16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.

17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;

God's counsel is immutable because God is immutable.

God cannot do what He is not. For instance, God is not a liar, therefore it is impossible for God to lie.

God is immutable therefore His counsel is immutable

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Perhaps I have once again mistaken what you were trying to convey. I cannot say with 100% certainty that the Son of God was not simply the embodiment of God in physical form. With that being said, I do believe that Jesus of Nazareth was predestined from before the creation of time or earth. All things are possible through God and for me to assume otherwise, or to seem as if I assume otherwise is wrong and confusing to my general message. Thank you.

I wasn't be negative for the sake of being negative. I was harsh because you said things that communicated very clearly to me that you believed things that are contrary to the Christian faith and it was important that you get the message. Unfortunately being nice is almost never effective.

I happen to agree with you in general concerning the predestination of Jesus Christ. The plan of salvation was not an afterthought of God's. The Bible very clearly talks about certain things being predestined. The Calvinists take it way too far and well beyond what the Bible says because their understanding of predestination has nothing to do with what the Bible teaches, it has to do with their philosophical beliefs about the nature of God which are also not biblical.

A good example of this happens to be in your post. The Bible does not say that God created time nor does it teach that God exists outside of time. The only reason you believe that is because Augustine believed that and the only reason Augustine believed that is because Aristotle believed it.

If I've said it once I've said it 1000 times on this website. The hardest thing to do is to separate what the Bible actually teaches from what our minds read into the text because of our theological paradigms. The only way to be objective is to force those things that we say we believe to conform to the rules of rational thought. There is no such thing as an irrational truth. The contradictory is false. God is either personal, relational, loving, just and righteous or He is immutable and arbitrary. There is no way to except both without redefining the meanings of those terms. And if you have to do that then what's the point of believing it in the first place? If what you're going to do is to make up new definitions for the concepts that cause you problems then why bother reading the Bible in the first place, just make up your religion and call it the truth. Which is of course what one does when they throw away rational thought and the rules of logic allowing contradictions to be held as ultimate truth.

I look forward to speaking with you more on this topic and many others in the future.

Resting in Him,
Clete

popsthebuilder

Clete,

The keeping of time is a man made construct to record history. If God created all things then he too created time as we know it.
I know nothing of Augustine and little of Aristotle. To be clear; I have had no preformed assumptions regarding religion as I was atheistic in nature for over 20 years until I was literally saved by God. I am unique in that what I have been shown prior to reading any scripture has been verified by said scripture. I do not understand how or why you insist that God is mutable in order for your understanding. The Torah and New covenant go together with one another without contradiction to me personally. To me over thought and rationale are the cause of confusion for some. I listened to a pastor not long ago who insisted that to think and make up ideas was the work of God. He also repeatedly praised himself and his accomplishments and dreams. This seemed to me very misleading as for me all praise is to God alone. Any things that we attain are the will of God. I, as politely as possible, while still conveying my point attested that him telling his congregation that thought and ideas in general were all good and from God was misleading in that we must be able to tell truth from lie, or good from bad, especially when looking introspectively. All I was saying is that we shouldn't be lead astray by our own selfish desires. Needless to say, this arragant self righteous, miss guiding individual was immidiatly infuriated to the point of putting his hand in my face and repeatedly stating that he would not heed my message. This in itself was negative and a testament to his thoughts of selfrightiousness. Upon his stubborn acts and words I stated once again that his message was good yet misleading to those that may not know better. I statd again that no disrespect was meant or appreciated, turned and calmly left the building. Some of his service was related to backbiting and gossip. He accused me of such as I spoke privately and face to face with him alone. Quite clouded. I'd I were closer to whom I was in the past I may have put my hands on him. I am thankful to God that I did not.

I agree that we cannot misconstrue the teaching of Christ, and to do such is misleading. I also find that the scriptures often hold within them double and triple entendres and that a singular meaning that is extracted from such is often but one part of a meaning that may well have two or three meanings. I too look forward to speaking with you further. A leveled, mutually respectful conversation is much preferred over the irate passing of thoughts. Thanks, really.

All praise and thanks is to God.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
It’s very easy to get completely the wrong end of the stick about God’s immutability. One might argue, as many have attempted, that if God were immutable then He must be static and impersonal; that He could not be the God that we love. But to do this is to attempt to make God in our image; He must be like us so that we can love Him. But this approach fails to see that God’s immutability follows on from His perfection and is intimately connected with Him being in eternity. God’s perfection means that every possibility, realized or not, is within God; far from being static, He provides the very being of all that is dynamic in the created world.

-- http://readingthesumma.blogspot.com/2010/04/question-9.html

glorydaz

I agree that we cannot misconstrue the teaching of Christ, and to do such is misleading. I also find that the scriptures often hold within them double and triple entendres and that a singular meaning that is extracted from such is often but one part of a meaning that may well have two or three meanings.

I've heard this described as the difference between linear thinking (Greek) and concrete thinking (Hebrew). The former sees everything as points on a line and the latter looks at things in a box...with height, depth, and width. I agree that there is more in each verse than we might see at first glance...oh the depth...

Romans 11:33
O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

Ephesians 3:17-19
That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.​

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Clete,

The keeping of time is a man made construct to record history. If God created all things then he too created time as we know it.
Time is an idea, not a thing. An idea, as you suggest, used to reference history. Or to put it more formally; Time is a convention of language used to convey information about the duration and sequence of events. Time does not exist outside of the mind and as such is not a created thing.

Further, there is NOTHING in the bible that teaches that God exists outside of time. In fact, the very notion is a self-defeating "stolen concept" fallacy. A stolen concept fallacy happens when a person makes an argument that denies one concept while making use of a concept which is predicated upon the concept being denied. The accepted concept is in effect "stolen" from a "parent" concept. In this case to say that something exists implies duration. Existence has not meaning if duration is denied. Duration is what time is! Thus to accept 'existence' and deny 'time' is to "steal" the concept of existence and thus to contradict yourself.

I know nothing of Augustine and little of Aristotle.
I did not intend to imply that you learned these ideas directly from them but simply that these are the people responsible for anyone believing this stuff. Ideas have histories of their own and if you follow the history of ideas like the immutability of God you find out that the doctrine found its way into Christianity through Augustine and that Augustine learned it from reading the Classics (i.e. Aristotle and Plato).

To be clear; I have had no preformed assumptions regarding religion as I was atheistic in nature for over 20 years until I was literally saved by God. I am unique in that what I have been shown prior to reading any scripture has been verified by said scripture.
I caution you on this sort of idea. David Koresh made almost the exact same claim as do virtually all cult leaders many of whom started out quite sincere.

No, I'm not accusing you of being a cultist! I'm just saying that you are on VERY shaky ground here.

I do not understand how or why you insist that God is mutable in order for your understanding.
In that case you either do not understand the doctrine of immutability or you do not understand what it means to have a relationship. The two are quite mutually exclusive.

The Torah and New covenant go together with one another without contradiction to me personally.
Contradictions are not a matter of opinion.

And I never ever suggested that the Old and New Testaments were in any sort of contradiction to one another.

In what way do you equate God's immutability with the Old Testament?

To me over thought and rationale are the cause of confusion for some.
Well, you can't fix stupid, if that's what you mean. But if you don't mean that and instead are suggesting that too much logic leads to confusion then you couldn't be more wrong. It is the lack of reason that creates confusion not the other way around. That isn't to say that lots of people aren't lazy or just simply make a mistake in their thought process but you can't blame logic for certain people's lack of skill in using it. Logic is THE ONLY tool your mind can use to understand anything. God made it that way when He created us in His image. Any attempt you might make to refute the voracity of logic is going to make use of the very logic you're attempting to refute. Logic is absolutely irrefragable!

READ THIS!

I listened to a pastor not long ago who insisted that to think and make up ideas was the work of God. He also repeatedly praised himself and his accomplishments and dreams. This seemed to me very misleading as for me all praise is to God alone. Any things that we attain are the will of God. I, as politely as possible, while still conveying my point attested that him telling his congregation that thought and ideas in general were all good and from God was misleading in that we must be able to tell truth from lie, or good from bad, especially when looking introspectively. All I was saying is that we shouldn't be lead astray by our own selfish desires. Needless to say, this arragant self righteous, miss guiding individual was immidiatly infuriated to the point of putting his hand in my face and repeatedly stating that he would not heed my message. This in itself was negative and a testament to his thoughts of selfrightiousness. Upon his stubborn acts and words I stated once again that his message was good yet misleading to those that may not know better. I stated again that no disrespect was meant or appreciated, turned and calmly left the building. Some of his service was related to backbiting and gossip. He accused me of such as I spoke privately and face to face with him alone. Quite clouded. I'd I were closer to whom I was in the past I may have put my hands on him. I am thankful to God that I did not.
I have found that it is nearly impossible to convince a pastor that he is wrong about anything. Especially if he's ever uttered a word about it in a sermon. Pastors are way too entrenched in their doctrine. Think about all the time and money and effort they've invested into their particular doctrinal positions and what it would cost them to make any substantive change in those beliefs. They'd have to toss a whole life time's worth of learning and teaching out the window in many cases, which is much too much to reasonably expect an average person to do. It's almost always a waste of energy to even make the attempt to change the mind of a pastor.

I agree that we cannot misconstrue the teaching of Christ, and to do such is misleading. I also find that the scriptures often hold within them double and triple entendres and that a singular meaning that is extracted from such is often but one part of a meaning that may well have two or three meanings.
No argument at all on this point.

I too look forward to speaking with you further. A leveled, mutually respectful conversation is much preferred over the irate passing of thoughts. Thanks, really.

All praise and thanks is to God.

:up:

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Immutable means to be unchanged over time correct?

Then I will have to say this is true.

This is why I don't believe the God of the OT is any different from the God of the NT. It's absurd and not right to think that way. People should understand God throughout his whole word and not just the NT.
Immutable, in the doctrinal sense, is the idea that God cannot change in ANY WAY whatsoever.

The Bible teaches that God cannot change in ways that would effect His character. He is immutably righteous, loving, kind and just. But it does not teach that God cannot change His mind, for example, or that God cannot be moved by love as C.S. Lewis taught.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hebrews 6:16-18

16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.

17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;

God's counsel is immutable because God is immutable.

God cannot do what He is not. For instance, God is not a liar, therefore it is impossible for God to lie.

God is immutable therefore His counsel is immutable

Please answer the following questions as best you can...

• Do you consider the incarnation a change, if not in substance, at least in form?
  • Has God always been a man?
  • Was God ever a man?
  • Is God still a man today?
  • Did God really die on the cross?
  • Does Jesus have a glorified physical body today?
  • Has He ever had one?
  • Has He always had one?

As I stated in previous posts, you can answer them one at a time or just in a general sense, whichever you prefer. The point here is to get at how the concept of absolute divine immutability is compatible with even the simplest reading of the gospel message.

Resting in Him,
Clete

glorydaz

Please answer the following questions as best you can...

• Do you consider the incarnation a change, if not in substance, at least in form?
  • Has God always been a man?
  • Was God ever a man?
  • Is God still a man today?
  • Did God really die on the cross?
  • Does Jesus have a glorified physical body today?
  • Has He ever had one?
  • Has He always had one?

As I stated in previous posts, you can answer them one at a time or just in a general sense, whichever you prefer. The point here is to get at how the concept of absolute divine immutability is compatible with even the simplest reading of the gospel message.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Uh oh....wait til you see Oatmeal's answers to those questions. :juggle:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Is there anyone here who is willing to state, without qualification, that God is immutable?

To clarify, is there anyone here who believes that God has not ever changed nor is He capable of changing in any way whatseover?

Resting in Him,
Clete
Every time I change my mind I disprove unqualitifed immutablity in God.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
That's because you consider yourself your own god.

Why would you say something silly like that?

For one, you have never asked me directly WHAT I consider about myself.

And secondly, I have free will and can do what I please. That's the way it's set up, friend.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Every time YOU change your mind?

Please elaborate.
As I see it, God is a process, not an immutable thing. Plenty of Christian thinkers from the early church fathers through the middle ages and today have expressed this.

God is tied to human history. His very name has changed down through the ages. He has been known as YWHV, Elohim, El Shaddat, etc. The Hebrew Bible identifies him as an eagle, a rock, a mountain, an old woman, a storm, a water spring, a potter and many other metaphors.

If it was decided by committee that "God is an eagle" then those who say God is unchanging would be right. But they are not, in my opinion.

glorydaz

As I see it, God is a process, not an immutable thing. Plenty of Christian thinkers from the early church fathers through the middle ages and today have expressed this.

God is tied to human history. His very name has changed down through the ages. He has been known as YWHV, Elohim, El Shaddat, etc. The Hebrew Bible identifies him as an eagle, a rock, a mountain, an old woman, a storm, a water spring, a potter and many other metaphors.

If it was decided by committee that "God is an eagle" then those who say God is unchanging would be right. But they are not, in my opinion.

But God isn't what we say no matter how many committees there are. :think:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
That sounds all warm 'n fuzzy...yet, how does one "do those things" while subsequently maintaining immutability?

God cannot impress upon us His divine love and His vengeful wrath without corresponding changes. The idea of an immutable God is simply wishful nonsense.

God will ALWAYS love the righteous, He will ALWAYS hate the wicked...God will never change

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It's not strange to note that heretical morons always start whining about their feelings when confronted with facts.

c42e60e2fba9bda0702a8b4d0abaa0db0522934a615c60e0c3f4ebdec086bd4b.jpg