• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Allegory/Symbolism in Genesis 1

Right Divider

Body part
But maybe your middle sentence is a chance for me to stay on subject. Are you saying that ‘without form’ really doesn’t mean what “without form” means in ordinary plain English?
If you are going to make a clay bowl, the clay begins "without form". Does light pass through it? In other words, "without form" does not mean transparent or invisible.

Now, please, for the third time, get back on topic. Start a new thread if you'd like to discuss something else.

redfern

Instead of belly-aching about it, why don't you just take his response at face value and respond to it with "It's not irrelevant just because you claim it to be. Explain why it's irrelevant."
This is a first-class response. I absolutely should have taken the time to really think about the way RD dismissed what I said. I blew it. You have my honest and sincere thanks for showing me a far more productive response than the poor one I offered. For what it's worth, my opinion of you just went up appreciably.

redfern

Who said fiction is about something? I didn't.

Fiction:
RD may declare continuing discussion of the CMB out of bounds in this thread unless it is in the context of allegorical or symbolic meaning. I don’t know of any symbolic or allegorical meanings that the CMB might carry, but if you do, please offer them. But I will ask directly, are you saying the CMB is fiction, and not real?

redfern

... I'll give you one and only one additional chance to answer the question I've asked with a direct answer. If you fail to give one then we will all know who it is who's interested in having substantive two way conversation and who isn't. Any additional posts that even somewhat resemble this last one will be ignored.

Clete
Clete, I have a backlog of posts in this thread that I hope to find time for soon. Several times by chance I have seen recent posts to me that I responded quickly to, posts after this one from you. So I have you in the queue, but I don’t have a good feel for how long it might take me to get caught up.

As to your mention of “one additional chance … will be ignored”, you need to understand that I pay little attention to such ultimatums. I essentially said much the same to RD, though I have interacted briefly with him since. If indeed you choose to ignore me, then go for it, and I wish you well. I still appreciate when you have been polite and constructive in explaining your positions, including when you are responding to others. And if I feel you are remiss in a point you are making, I may point that out. You may ignore me, but even though the posts in these threads may be person-to-person, the audience that reads them is not just you and me.

redfern

I'm saying that you are using your phrase, "the CMB," in a fictional way, rather than in a cognitively meaningful way.
Well, that is a bit of a relief that you indeed seem inclined to say the CMB is real. To dismiss it completely is a level of science denial that would pretty well be a barrier to any hope of productive discourse.

But I am still unclear of what I said regarding the CMB that you term as fiction. More specific details, please?

redfern

Oh, also...what (if anything) do you mean by "real"? What, beyond a thing's being a thing, would prompt you to call a thing, "real"?
Ontology? Really? Are you real? Am I real? Is the book on my desk labelled “Holy Bible” real? Is the microwave radiation that we receive from space real?

If you think “real’ is not applicable to the CMB, then please explain why.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Well, that is a bit of a relief that you indeed seem inclined to say the CMB is real.

I say neither "the CMB is real" nor "the CMB is not real," since I'm not in the habit of speaking in ways I do not consider to be cognitively meaningful.

To dismiss it completely is a level of science denial that would pretty well be a barrier to any hope of productive discourse.

In other words, when you can't get someone to play along with you in accordance with the way in which you are conditioned to using your words, you vent your anger and frustration at them by uttering cheap, meaningless, emotive phrases like "science denial".

But I am still unclear of what I said regarding the CMB that you term as fiction.

I am unclear of what (if anything) you mean by that. I thought I had made it clear that what I was "terming as fiction" is your use of the phrase, "the CMB".

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you feel they are self-explanatory, then please enlighten me. I’ve seen you seriously misapply the CMB as part of the explanation, and shadows from void and not-yet formed earths. But I am willing to see if you can avoid a third strike.
I think you're being a little unfair.

I've been clear that most of what I have shared is mere speculation.

Ok, so you mean the Bible was in error saying the earth at this time was without form? It was already an opaque spherical object?
It did not remain without form.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank

Could you please rephrase your "question"?

Are you real?

Am I real?

Is the book on my desk labelled “Holy Bible” real?

Is the microwave radiation that we receive from space real?

Oh, and in each case, please do so sans your word, "real".

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So I've got Scripture that tells me God is the Logos, God is love, God is spirit, and God is light.

Which of these are literal, wooden, and which are figurative, allegorical and or symbol?
Asked and answered. The context determines it. Not just the context of the specific verse but of the whole bible as well.

God did not create Himself but God did create light, Idolater. Light, unlike space and time, is a physical thing that exists in the physical/created universe. If God were the sort of light that you see with your eyes then there would have been no need for Him to say, "Let there be light." God, very simply, is not electromagnetic radiation!

Genesis 1:3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.​

Last edited: