anticatholics: please list the "false doctrines of Catholicism"

Right Divider

Body part
Post your proof.
Your continued posting here is proof.

...the only proof necessary.
LOL, no proof at all. Noted.

Rather, you'll stick with what your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect has told you about God's word. Big difference there.
Sorry, never had any association with any "recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect". So try some other tactic, because tactics are all that you have.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
Get lost Latin boy.

Cruciform

Your continued posting here is proof.
So, then, no actual proof whatsoever. That's what I thought.

LOL, no proof at all. Noted.
Feel free, then, to actually disprove the content of the cited sources. No? Didn't think so.

Sorry, never had any association with any "recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect".
Sure you have. That's where you derived your present assumptions, interpretations, and beliefs.

Get lost Latin boy.
Do you have some sort of authority here on TOL that we should all know about? No? Didn't think so.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Hey, what if an outsider sees you praying with a homeless person, and concludes that you're praying TO that person---or even (gasp!) WORSHIPING him?! The uninitiated wouldn't know the difference, right? Or you're praying while holding the Bible, and the newbie puts 2+2 together, and gets 11---he assumes that you're WORSHIPING the Bible! Or you celebrate communion at church and the outsider decides that he can just skip church from now on and "do communion" by himself because, after all, he has crackers and juice in the fridge at home! As I said, virtually anything a Christian does can be misinterpreted by an outsider in some way. That's why they need to be broughtft INSIDE and taught the basic teachings of the Christian faith. Your scenario, as has already been demonstrated, works against you as much as anyone else.
Because when I am praying with somebody I am not kneeling before them with my head bowed and my hands folded in prayer. Your analogy completely fails.

Post your proof for this wholly unsubstantiated assertion.
I already have which is why you are dancing on the head of a pin.

QUESTION: What would you do if an outsider came into your church and asked you why you worship your Bible (after all, he saw you holding the Bible and "speaking" to it)? What would you say to him?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
mainly because they would never see such a thing. I have never in any service seen anything resembling such a practice. They would see people with their bibles closed while the pastor leads the prayer.

Wick Stick

You apparently didn't come here for a "discussion" either, since you posted nothing but a list of doctrines with which you disagree.
Already addressed in my previous post.

...which were addressed in the cited sources I provided.
Also already addressed in my previous post.

Over the past couple of years, there have been three people who informed me that they were becoming Catholic because of my posts (in part, anyway).
So, you're converting the Christians into Christians?

Not interested in "sparring." Thanks anyway. There are other Catholics on TOL who may have time for games. I'm not one of them.
Seems that someone takes their posts here a bit too seriously. Why so serious?

As a Catholic, I have access to all divine truth defined and taught by Christ's one historic Church. You seem to assume that Christian doctrine is something that we lay believers get to define and make up for ourselves based on a private reading of the Bible, rather than something that is formulated and handed on by Christ's historic and authoritative Church, and which is simply to be received by the laity. Big difference there.
Tell me, do you keep this saved in a file so that you can simply copy/paste it into every thread? This has nothing to do with anything I said. Non-sequitor.

Ad Hominem Fallacy. Try again.
Not an ad hominem, at all. That would require me to attack your credibility, which I did not. Merely observing that you are not here as a seeker, as your slogan would seem to indicate, but rather that you view yourself as a teacher.

Maybe you should join the Blues Brothers. They're on a mission from God, too.

Jarrod

Cruciform

Because when I am praying with somebody I am not kneeling before them with my head bowed and my hands folded in prayer. Your analogy completely fails.
Even if that were the case---and it's not, since most people who pray with someone bow their head and close their eyes, a clear posture of prayer---the other scenarios I mentioned apply at least as well as your wholly imaginary hypothetical. Try again.

I already have which is why you are dancing on the head of a pin.
You have actually proven exactly nothing, but have merely posted an entirely imaginary hypothetical scenario that you have yet to demonstrate actually exists in the real world.

mainly because they would never see such a thing.
It's entirely possible, and a scenario I witnessed many times as a Protestant. My question stands. What would you say to that person?

I have never in any service seen anything resembling such a practice.
Really? Because in fourteen years as a Catholic, I have never actually seen anyone kneeling in prayer before a statue either, especially during the liturgy where it would have no place. No doubt some Catholics do so in other contexts, but I have never personally seen such a thing. Perhaps your "concern" here is just an exercise in creative imagination. In any event, you've been sufficiently answered regarding your desperate wholly-imaginary fabrication.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Even if that were the case---and it's not, since most people who pray with someone bow their head and close their eyes, a clear posture of prayer---the other scenarios I mentioned apply at least as well as your wholly imaginary hypothetical. Try again.
If that posture is before something/someone, it is a posture of worship. If that posture is next to someone then it is a posture of prayer. Do you really not see that difference? Do you honestly see no difference between a statue and a living person?

You have actually proven exactly nothing, but have merely posted an entirely imaginary hypothetical scenario that you have yet to demonstrate actually exists in the real world.
And yet cannot refute what I have said. Instead you have spent considerable time trying to make praying with somebody identical to kneeling in front of a statue identical acts. They aren't. You have spent time trying to say that its okay to pray before a statue of Mary because it only represents Mary. You have ignored the verse in scripture where God says do not kneel before anything man made that represents anything in heaven above or on Earth.

It's entirely possible, and a scenario I witnessed many times as a Protestant. My question stands. What would you say to that person?
As I said, they would never witness it in my church. That is why I go to my church, it has solid theology based on entirely on God's Word. If such a person did come to me and ask about something they have seen in another church, I would sit down with a bible and start with Matthew 18:20 and go from there.

Really? Because in fourteen years as a Catholic, I have never actually seen anyone kneeling in prayer before a statue either, especially during the liturgy where it would have no place. No doubt some Catholics do so in other contexts, but I have never personally seen such a thing. Perhaps your "concern" here is just an exercise in creative imagination. In any event, you've been sufficiently answered regarding your desperate wholly-imaginary fabrication.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
I have seen it in the foyer of many catholic churches from my childhood and to this day. I saw it a couple of years ago in the Cathedrals of Europe where the nooks of contained shrines to Mary and Holy Relics from others. More than once I have seen people kneeling before these things with heads bowed, rosaries clasped in their hands, heads bowed and eyes closed. What was in there mind? I have no way to know. Was what they were doing acceptable to God? I have to go with no.

Exodus 20:4-5New International Version (NIV) 4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Note the use of the word "or" God is not saying that we are to bow down before them and worship them. That would be one act. No God says that we are not to bow down before them OR worship them - two distinct actions.

Cruciform

If that posture is before something/someone, it is a posture of worship.
Proof, please. (Sorry, the mere opinion of your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect just doesn't count.)

If that posture is next to someone then it is a posture of prayer.
'fraid not. When I pray for/with someone, we often face one another with eyes closed, often clasping each other's hands.

Do you really not see that difference? Do you honestly see no difference between a statue and a living person?
Do you honestly see an essential difference between a person alive on Earth and a person alive in Heaven? Both are persons, are they not?

And yet cannot refute what I have said.
Your having posted nothing more than a wholly imaginary hypothetical that fails to reference the real world leaves nothing whatsoever to "refute." Try again.

Instead you have spent considerable time trying to make praying with somebody identical to kneeling in front of a statue identical acts.
"Identical" in the specific sense that both are examples of praying with real human beings. No one is praying TO a statue, so you can go ahead and abandon that glaring Straw Man Fallacy.

You have ignored the verse in scripture where God says do not kneel before anything man made that represents anything in heaven above or on Earth.
Rather, we have correctly and contextually interpreted the text. You mistake the opinions (interpretations) of your chosen man-made sect with "what the Bible teaches."

As I said, they would never witness it in my church.
No, they would witness other things that---as apparently blank slates of absolute ignorance---they might very well misinterpret. According to your "logic," therefore, you need to immediately stop doing or saying ANYTHING in "church" that could possibly be misconstrued by adults who are apparently still somehow in a state of mental infancy. When, then, do you plan to cease virtually everything that you have up to this point done and said in your "church"?

That is why I go to my church, it has solid theology based on entirely on God's Word.
It has an essentially man-made theology based on the assumptions and opinions of entirely non-authoritative laymen whose historically novel sect was invented by mere men more than eighteen centuries after the time of Christ.

If such a person did come to me and ask about something they have seen in another church, I would sit down with a bible and start with Matthew 18:20 and go from there.
You would begin by talking to them about ecclesiatical discipline? (That, after all, is what Mt. 18:20 is discussing, specifically the exercise of discipline by apostles/bishops of Christ's one historic and hierarchical Church.)

In any case, if someone came to me in my church and asked about something they'd seen, I, too, would simply explain it to them. Problem solved. Your complaint/concern here thus simply falls flat and, again, simply doesn't apply in the real world.

I have seen it in the foyer of many Catholic Churches from my childhood and to this day.
I don't doubt you on this. We have a few sacred statues (and other sacred objects) in my church, but I've never seen anyone kneeling before them.

I saw it a couple of years ago in the Cathedrals of Europe where the nooks of contained shrines to Mary and Holy Relics from others.
I thought that Europe was so secularized by now that no one even went to church any more! :chuckle:

Sadly, the same process is at work in the U.S.

More than once I have seen people kneeling before these things with heads bowed, rosaries clasped in their hands, heads bowed and eyes closed. What was in there mind? I have no way to know.
Of course you do. You could accurately learn what the Catholic Church actually teaches about such things. But you can't seem to be bothered with that.

Exodus 20:4-5New International Version (NIV) 4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them... Note the use of the word "or" God is not saying that we are to bow down before them and worship them. That would be one act. No God says that we are not to bow down before them OR worship them - two distinct actions.
This is your fundamental error, which has been fed to you by your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, which you have uncritically swallowed, and have merely regurgitated here.

The funny thing is that you have already been decisively answered on this very point in various past threads, including here. This certainly demonstrates your well-established inability (unwillingness?) to learn and retain any information that fails to comport with your present anti-Catholic sectarian assumptions and opinions. Please read the cited information carefully and thoroughly, and at least try to commit it to memory.

Well, the above post is no longer available, so I'll re-state it here (it's concise, brief, and easy to remember). With respect to your sect's interpretation/application of the biblical text above:

This is an example of Hebrew parallelism in which two clauses that mean the same thing are placed together for emphasis. The Hebrews are commanded not to make images or objects for the purpose of "bowing down to" or ("that is") "worshiping" them as gods. To "bow down" to something and to "worship" it are the very same thing.

Again, God does not forbid the making and religious use of images and objects per se---otherwise, He would have contradicted Himself when He went on the command the Hebrews to make and use religious images and objects. Thus, your sect's interpretation/application results in God directly contradicting Himself, a practical impossibility. Your sect's proposed interpretation/application of Ex. 20:4-5 is equally impossible, and must be rejected by all biblically-obedient believers.

For more info, see this.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Proof, please. (Sorry, the mere opinion of your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect just doesn't count.)

'fraid not. When I pray for/with someone, we often face one another with eyes closed, often clasping each other's hands.
Rationalizing bad doctrine does not make for good doctrine.

Do you honestly see an essential difference between a person alive on Earth and a person alive in Heaven? Both are persons, are they not?
Yes, a very large a s essential difference, they are no longer with us, they are in heave ( we hope). God tells us not to make statues to anything in heaven or on earth. God say no. God does say to pray for each other but never says to pray to each other.

Your having posted nothing more than a wholly imaginary hypothetical that fails to reference the real world leaves nothing whatsoever to "refute." Try again.
interesting that you find scripture wholly imaginary.

"Identical" in the specific sense that both are examples of praying with real human beings. No one is praying TO a statue, so you can go ahead and abandon that glaring Straw Man Fallacy.
All it takes is to how before it and you are in error.

Rather, we have correctly and contextually interpreted the text. You mistake the opinions (interpretations) of your chosen man-made sect with "what the Bible teaches."
No, you have taken it out of context and interpreted according to what you want it to mean to fit your wholly man made traditions.

No, they would witness other things that---as apparently blank slates of absolute ignorance---they might very well misinterpret. According to your "logic," therefore, you need to immediately stop doing or saying ANYTHING in "church" that could possibly be misconstrued by adults who are apparently still somehow in a state of mental infancy. When, then, do you plan to cease virtually everything that you have up to this point done and said in your "church"?_/quote] Hyperboly is no better than rationalization. In a church rooted in solid scriptural doctrine they would see people worshiping in prayer and music, listening to teaching from scripture and partake in the Lords supper. They may see small groups gathered in prayer. They would not see a statue let alone anybody bowed before it. Besides, God does not ban the worship they would see in my church like He bans statues.

It has an essentially man-made theology based on the assumptions and opinions of entirely non-authoritative laymen whose historically novel sect was invented by mere men more than eighteen centuries after the time of Christ.

You would begin by talking to them about ecclesiatical discipline? (That, after all, is what Mt. 18:20 is discussing, specifically the exercise of discipline by apostles/bishops of Christ's one historic and hierarchical Church.)

In any case, if someone came to me in my church and asked about something they'd seen, I, too, would simply explain it to them. Problem solved. Your complaint/concern here thus simply falls flat and, again, simply doesn't apply in the real world.

I don't doubt you on this. We have a few sacred statues (and other sacred objects) in my church, but I've never seen anyone kneeling before them.

I thought that Europe was so secularized by now that no one even went to church any more! :chuckle:

Sadly, the same process is at work in the U.S.

Of course you do. You could accurately learn what the Catholic Church actually teaches about such things. But you can't seem to be bothered with that.

This is your fundamental error, which has been fed to you by your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, which you have uncritically swallowed, and have merely regurgitated here.

The funny thing is that you have already been decisively answered on this very point in various past threads, including here. This certainly demonstrates your well-established inability (unwillingness?) to learn and retain any information that fails to comport with your present anti-Catholic sectarian assumptions and opinions. Please read the cited information carefully and thoroughly, and at least try to commit it to memory.

Well, the above post is no longer available, so I'll re-state it here (it's concise, brief, and easy to remember). With respect to your sect's interpretation/application of the biblical text above:

This is an example of Hebrew parallelism in which two clauses that mean the same thing are placed together for emphasis. The Hebrews are commanded not to make images or objects for the purpose of "bowing down to" or ("that is") "worshiping" them as gods. To "bow down" to something and to "worship" it are the very same thing.

Again, God does not forbid the making and religious use of images and objects per se---otherwise, He would have contradicted Himself when He went on the command the Hebrews to make and use religious images and objects. Thus, your sect's interpretation/application results in God directly contradicting Himself, a practical impossibility. Your sect's proposed interpretation/application of Ex. 20:4-5 is equally impossible, and must be rejected by all biblically-obedient believers.
For more info, see this.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
and you close with more rationalization a and justifications of that which cannot be rationalized or justified given what God has said.

Last edited:

Cruciform

Rationalizing bad doctrine does not make for good doctrine.
Right back at you.

Yes, a very large a s essential difference, they are no longer with us, they are in heaven ( we hope).
So? Referring to those who have died, Scripture states that "He is not the God of the dead, but of the living." Those in heaven are more truly and fully alive than you or I.

God tells us not to make statues to anything in heaven or on earth.
Post #316.

interesting that you find scripture wholly imaginary.
Learn how to read. I said that it is your utterly fabricated hypothetical that is imaginary. And so it is. I said nothing whatsoever about "Scripture."

All it takes is to how before it and you are in error.
Post #316.

No, you have taken it out of context and interpreted according to what you want it to mean to fit your wholly man made traditions.
According to the wholly non-authoritative mere opinions of your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. :yawn:

In a church rooted in solid scriptural doctrine they would see people worshiping in prayer and music, listening to teaching from scripture and partake in the Lords supper. They may see small groups gathered in prayer.
Again, every aspect of any one of which could just as easily be misinterpreted and misconstrued by an ignorant outsider as anything a Catholic might do. Try again.

Besides, God does not ban the worship they would see in my church like He bans statues.
If God "bans statues" PER SE, why then does God himself command the making of "graven images" for the purpose of worship and devotion in the Jewish Temple?

and you close with more rationalization and justifications of that which cannot be rationalized or justified given what God has said.
Already decisively answered in Post #316, your conditioned sectarian ostrich response notwithstanding.

head-in-sand.png

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Right back at you.

So? Referring to those who have died, Scripture states that "He is not the God of the dead, but of the living." Those in heaven are more truly and fully alive than you or I.
To God, yes. To us, no. They are no longer with us. There is no verse in scripture that tells us to pray to the dead to ask them to pray to us. The verse actually says we are to pray for each other.

Post #316
I accept your concession of the point.

Learn how to read. I said that it is your utterly fabricated hypothetical that is imaginary. And so it is. I said nothing whatsoever about "Scripture."
Given that I simply quoted scripture, I find your characterization of scripture as "
utterly fabricated hypothetical" disturbing.

Post #316.

According to the wholly non-authoritative mere opinions of your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. :yawn:
Again, I quoted scripture so yet again I find your characterizations of scripture disturbing and decidedly unchristian.

Again, every aspect of any one of which could just as easily be misinterpreted and misconstrued by an ignorant outsider as anything a Catholic might do. Try again.
The RCC is no different in this regard other than that they have managed to institutionalize their misrepresentations and threaten anybody who disagrees with them with excommunication and the implication that excommunicated people go to hell.

If God "bans statues" PER SE, why then does God himself command the making of "graven images" for the purpose of worship and devotion in the Jewish Temple?
Did God command Israel to bow before the serpent? No. Do you bow before a statue of Mary? If you answer yes you are doing exactly what God said not to do. No amount of rationalization nor justification can change that simple fact.

Already decisively answered in Post #316, your conditioned sectarian ostrich response notwithstanding.
head-in-sand.png
Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
As you are fond of saying, right back at you.

Last edited:

republicanchick

people here can be SO childish

but no... it's worse than childish

more like

demonically closed minded...

demonically filled with pride... pride that says "I know everything I need to know about Jesus."

Well, u can tell by their posts

they are FAR.... FAR from knowing everything they need to know...

(re Charity, for one)

___

StanJ

people here can be SO childish

but no... it's worse than childish

more like

demonically closed minded...

demonically filled with pride... pride that says "I know everything I need to know about Jesus."

Well, u can tell by their posts

they are FAR.... FAR from knowing everything they need to know...

(re Charity, for one)

___

Says the one who is probably one of the most childish and judgmental.