Ask CL anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainee

Ok, I confess I am a Calvie who can and has had some problems with other Calvies.

So here are a few questions:

If God saved a man who worked for the public works back in epistle writing times then should we think God can use men in government today?

Can God use young sports men like Tebow and Danny Wuerffel to His purpose even though they are or were in a very physically dangerous game?

Is it a sin for Christians to become soldiers?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
JohnW, you sure have some brilliant comebacks! I only wish you were
as smart as you think you are! Your wit needs an overhaul as well!

Most try and succeed; you succeed at trying, but fail! You have my
condolences!

john w

Hall of Fame
JohnW, you sure have some brilliant comebacks! I only wish you were
as smart as you think you are! Your wit needs an overhaul as well!

Most try and succeed; you succeed at trying, but fail! You have my
condolences!

Oh. Thanks for the "Psycho Babble 101" course.

Christian Liberty

Knock it off, both of you!

Just to give my take on that whole thing:

Christ died for every single sin of his people.

JohnW is really no better than "Brother" Vinny (In quotes because he confesses a false gospel and so isn't my brother, instead the righteous wrath of God still abides on him) in this regard, because he believes that some who Christ has shed his blood for still suffer in Hell, just like his teacher John Wesley. Admittedly, this error is not as serious as the error of continually falling from God's grace each time a mortal sin is committed, but it is a soteriological error nonetheless.

As for homosexuality, if a "Christian" continually and unrepentantly lives in homosexuality, this is proof that he is unregenerate. There are certain sins mentioned in the Bible, including homosexuality, that cannot CHARACTERIZE a Christian. However, that doesn't mean a Christian cannot struggle with certain sins. Ultimately, if a man confesses the true gospel, conditioned on Christ's blood and his righteousness (Note that I do not mean that he must word it exactly this way, only that he must not condition his salvation on himself, but on Christ) and admits that he struggles with serious sin, I will not per say judge him unregenerate. However, if he openly flaunts his sin even after the church tells him to repent, this is proof, note, not the cause, but the proof, that he was never regenerated. This is also proof that he ultimately conditions salvation on himself, no matter what he says.

As for me, I still struggle with sins. Every believer does. There are sins in my life that I know exist, that I have repented of, and yet I still fall into them. This is proof that I have a long way to go in my sanctification, but it is not proof that I am not justified.

On the other hand, if I were to continually hold an attitude of "Yeah, I'm a sinner, so what? I'm not even going to try to please God" that would be proof that I didn't believe the gospel at any point ever.
What is an anarcho-Calvinist?

In simple terms, a person who is an anarchist and a Calvinist at the same time.

I stole the term from Kevin Craig, despite disagreement with him on certain issues including preterism, (he borders on full preterism, so my problems with him go beyond the friendly disagreements I have with my partial preterist brethren here), postmillennialism, and pacifism. I tended to agree with Nang after discussing it with her that certain things he has said indicate that he is probably unregenerate, but he nonetheless has some compelling things to say about certain topics. His website is here:

http://vftonline.org/
Ok, I confess I am a Calvie

Praise God. To Him be all the glory!:)

who can and has had some problems with other Calvies.

Me too. Not sure if they are the same ones, but nonetheless. I got into a heated discussion with a solid reformed pastor at a conference today over civil government. Usually that's the tripping point that I have when I discuss with other Reformed people, although I've found some who are open to what I say.

So here are a few questions:

If God saved a man who worked for the public works back in epistle writing times then should we think God can use men in government today?

I fail to see how one thing leads to another here. Yes, God can use his people in government. Praise God! But what should his people be doing in government? Should they be trying to limit coercion and aggression as much as possible, as per Matthew 5:9, Proverbs 3:30, 1 Peter 4:15, and 1 Corinthians 5? Should they be trying to impose the Mosaic judicial laws, as theonomists like Rushdoony and Gary North believe? Should we be trying to support Israel as a nation because of Genesis 12:3? Something else? Should we not be involved at all?

I hold to the first position. I believe Christians, at least categorically, should be involved (I think some will perhaps be called not to be involved, and I do not necessarily see it as sinful not to be involved.) But I don't support the religious right's agenda to try to coercively impose (usually only certain parts of) God's laws on people. I think the Mosaic Law was written specifically for Israel, which was the visible church of the OT. I don't think its supposed to be strictly applied anywhere else. So, although I respect some people who hold the second view, I don't hold it at all. I find most of those on the "religious right" who do not support Mosaic Law, and even go beyond it at times, to be inconsistent, which I view as even worse because it effectively makes government infinite.

The third view is just absurd, IMO, and the Zionist movement that it stems from is completely abusrd. The long and short of it is A: this verse is talking about Abraham, not all his descedents without exception, if it were it would be talking about the Ishamaelites (Muslims, Arabs) as well, which nobody believes. It was talking about Abraham, by extension, the Savior who came from his geneaology (Christ) and the church who the New Testament calls the "Children of Abraham." And B: Israel as a secular Jewish nation is just as lost as the Muslim nations we wage war on to help them.

As for politicians who are serving God, I don't know for sure if he's saved or not (I haven't come across a real gospel profession from him either true or false, so I reserve judgment) but Ron Paul certainly has a Biblical view of politics. While he wasn't in government per say, John Robbins worked for Ron Paul, and Robbins was a solid Reformed Christian. I think he was wrong on a few things, such as paedobaptism, but he was solid nonetheless.

Can God use young sports men like Tebow and Danny Wuerffel to His purpose even though they are or were in a very physically dangerous game?

I don't know who Wuerffel is or what does. But as for Tebow, first of all, God can use anything, even wickedness. And second of all, I don't understand in the slightest how playing football would be inherently wicked. Mind you, anything not of faith is sin (Which by extension, means that any action taken by the unregenerate is evil, no matter how mundane.) But if Tebow is a regenerate believer, and playing for God's glory, I don't see what is wrong with it.

Is it a sin for Christians to become soldiers?

Yeah, this is where I wind up breaking from most other Reformed people I know. I wouldn't take a pacifisitc position where its wrong to kill no matter what the context. But I definitely believe aggression is wrong. And I think to willfully put yourself in a position where you may well have to kill the innocent by law, whether that be civilians in a foreign country, or even soldiers who are simply defending their own country, would be wrong. So yeah, I do view militarism as a sin. I understand some are ignorant, and God does judge the heart, but I think to willfully and knowingly participate in the MIC (That's "Military Industrial Complex" for any who don't know) Machine is just as wicked as knowingly being a homosexual or an adulterer. Actually, worse, because homosexuals and adulterers do not per say take the lives of the innocent. (And yes, I know we're going to have some comment about "murdering innocence" or something like that. That I reject this as absurd should not be taken as a condoning of either homosexuality or adultery, both of which are evil.)

However, I do believe there are some Christians in the military who are truly saved. I would thus believe they are ignorant of what the military is and what it is really for. I think they should be told to repent (Shame on our pastors for actually ENCOURAGING this nonsense) but not necessarily the repentance that occurs at the moment of conversion.

I also find it amazing that "Pro-family" conservatives are also the quickest to support the military and its wars, which destroy families on both sides. It is evil, and God hates it.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
CL,

I would like to take your offering to ask you anything.

why do you boast that you are elect and are saved?

Boasting is not Christian thing to do. You mainstreamers don't seem to know this simple Christianity.

blessings.

Christian Liberty

CL,

I would like to take your offering to ask you anything.

why do you boast that you are elect and are saved?

Boasting is not Christian thing to do. You mainstreamers don't seem to know this simple Christianity.

blessings.

Galatians 6:14 commands Christians to boast in the cross of Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

I am not elect because I am any better than the non-elect. But Christ, in his mercy, chose to give everything so that I, and not myself only, but multititudes from every tongue, tribe, and nation would be saved. Not "could be" but would be. My salvation was ACCOMPLISHED on the cross! Praise God! Hallelujah!

Brother Vinny

Galatians 6:14 commands Christians to boast in the cross of Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

I am not elect because I am any better than the non-elect. But Christ, in his mercy, chose to give everything so that I, and not myself only, but multititudes from every tongue, tribe, and nation would be saved. Not "could be" but would be. My salvation was ACCOMPLISHED on the cross! Praise God! Hallelujah!

You should know (if you don't already) meshak doesn't hold Paul as authoritative.

meshak

BANNED
Banned

I am not elect because I am any better than the non-elect.

that should be the attitude of all Christians.

But Christ, in his mercy, chose to give everything so that I, and not myself only, but multititudes from every tongue, tribe, and nation would be saved. Not "could be" but would be. My salvation was ACCOMPLISHED on the cross! Praise God! Hallelujah!

we are ready to be saved. No one knows if we are saved or not. Only Jesus is the judge if we are saved or not.

No one should be saying "I am saved and you are not". This is not Christian attitude.

blessings.

Status
Not open for further replies.