Babylonians do math, surprise evolutionists:

6days

You are quite confused about the theory of evolution.
I suspect I understand the 'theory' better than you. It is a belief system for which the evidence does not fit.
Scientists do not claim that humans today are more intelligent than people who lived thousands of years ago.
I agree. However, evolutionists do believe that intelligence evolved, thus they often portray ancient man as primitive thinkers. Perhaps you would agree that that the Babylonians, Aztecs, Neandertals MAY have been more intelligent than modern man. You will agree that there is no evidence intelligence in man has evolved from dim witted to intelligent. *
When scientists talk about the ape-like creatures that modern humans evolved from, they are referring to creatures that lived millions of years ago, creatures who were not Homo Sapiens.
Correction... When evolutionists talk about the ape-like creatures that modern humans evolved from, they are referring to mythical creatures who they believe lived long long ago in a far away land.

chair

I suspect I understand the 'theory' better than you. It is a belief system for which the evidence does not fit.

You apparently don't understand it at all. It is not a "belief system". Some religions are "belief systems". Science is not. And Science has the ability to self-correct according to the evidence. New 'surprising' information doesn't hurt Science- it helps improve our understanding

I agree. However, evolutionists do believe that intelligence evolved, thus they often portray ancient man as primitive thinkers. Perhaps you would agree that that the Babylonians, Aztecs, Neandertals MAY have been more intelligent than modern man. You will agree that there is no evidence intelligence in man has evolved from dim witted to intelligent. *

The theory (not 'belief') includes the idea that human intelligence developed. But not over historical times, and no scientist that I am aware of says such a thing. If you claim that "they often portray ancient man as primitive thinkers", you need to brinf proof- but note that we are talking about historical times.

Correction... When evolutionists talk about the ape-like creatures that modern humans evolved from, they are referring to mythical creatures who they believe lived long long ago in a far away land.

They are not mythical. Remains have been found. And it is curious that you call Africa a "far away land".

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You apparently don't understand it at all. It is not a "belief system". Some religions are "belief systems". Science is not. And Science has the ability to self-correct according to the evidence. New 'surprising' information doesn't hurt Science- it helps improve our understanding
You are not allowed to switch out "evolution" and start using "science" as if those two things are equivalent.

Evolution is a belief system. Science is what we use to test such ideas.

Darwinists are forever insisting that their ideas are indistinguishable from science. It's called a category error.

The theory (not 'belief') includes the idea that human intelligence developed. But not over historical times, and no scientist that I am aware of says such a thing. If you claim that "they often portray ancient man as primitive thinkers", you need to brinf proof- but note that we are talking about historical times.
Great! So next time we see Darwinists insisting that ancient people were less capable than we are today, we can count on you to back us up when we disagree, right?

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Interplanner

chair

I'll relate only to one item:
Great! So next time we see Darwinists insisting that ancient people were less capable than we are today, we can count on you to back us up when we disagree, right?

The people who you call Darwinists or Evolutionists do not, and never have, insisted that "ancient people were less capable than we are today", where the term "ancient people" refers to Homo Sapiens in historical times. Less advanced technologically, perhaps, but not less capable intellectually.

You are not as stupid as you make yourself out to be sometimes, and I am sure that you are aware of this.

6days

chair said:
It (evolutionism) is not a "belief system". Some religions are "belief systems".
Evolutionism is a form of religion. It is a belief system. *Science is a methodology....not a belief system about our origins. Creationism and evolutionism examine the exact same evidence, using the exact same methodology. But, they are two opposing beliefs about the past. *
chair said:
*And Science has the ability to self-correct according to the evidence. New 'surprising' information doesn't hurt Science- it helps improve our understanding.
We agree!*
*Thanks to science we now know our bodies are not full of useless organs, as evolutionists once believed.
*Thanks to science we now know cells are not simple, as evolutionists once believed.
* Thanks to science we now know dark skinned people are not less highly evolved, as evolutionists once believed.
* Thanks to science we now know earlier humans like Neandertals were not dim witted, as evolutionists once believed.
chair said:
6days said:
I agree. However, evolutionists do believe that intelligence evolved...
The theory (not 'belief') includes the idea that human intelligence developed
Call it what you like.... call it a fact if you wish. But putting lipstick on a pig does not make the pig sexy.*
chair said:
6days said:
*thus they often portray ancient man as primitive thinkers. Perhaps you would agree that that the Babylonians, Aztecs, Neandertals MAY have been more intelligent than modern man. You will agree that there is no evidence intelligence in man has evolved from dim witted to intelligent.
But (intelligence "developed")*not over historical times, and no scientist that I am aware of says such a thing. If you claim that "they often portray ancient man as primitive thinkers", you need to brinf proof- but note that we are talking about historical times.
Science is helping dispel evolutionary beliefs about intelligence. Due to evolutionary beliefs a black man was caged with a chimp in a zoo only 110 years ago. We now know women are not less highly evolved, and not less intelligent as evolutionists believed. We now know Neandetals were not dim witted hairy beasts like evolutionists once believed. Science helps confirm God's Word... all humanity is one blood. We were created with intelligence which may have decreased over the past few thousand years.*
chair said:
6days said:
They are not mythical. Remains have been found. And it is curious that you call Africa a "far away land".
Of course the dim witted humans you believe in are mythical. It is a just so story...'Once upon a time, in a land far far away...'. *Evolutionists like to portray ancient apes ('monkeys') as "human like".*Evolutionists like to portray ancient humans as "ape like". It isn't science. * Its a belief system. Thanks to science....which self corrects according to evidence, we see God's Word being confirmed. Ancient man was intelligent. We are "fearfully and wonderfully made".

chair

Let's see the sources where "evolutionists" say that the ancient Babylonians were dumb or had less developed intelligence than men do today. let's see those quotes roll in...

put up or shut up.

6days

chair said:
Let's see the sources where "evolutionists" say that the ancient Babylonians were dumb or had less developed intelligence than men do today.
Strawman fallacy.Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument.

Chair..... I asked if you would agree that Neandertals, the Aztecs and the Babylonians MAY have had greater intelligence than todays humans. *"Would you be*surprised to hear that the human race is slowly becoming dumber, and dumber? Despite our advancements over the last tens or even hundreds of years, some ‘experts’ believe that humans are losing cognitive capabilities and ..."http://naturalsociety.com/leading-geneticist-human-intelligence-slowly-declining/ So, again..... asking you if you agree it is possible humans from thousands of years ago might be more intelligent than us 'moderns'.

That the Babylonians, ancient Egyptians, Aztecs, Neandertals were highly intelligent (quite possibly more intelligent than modern humans) should come as no surprise to Bible believers. God created man as highly intelligent beings. God's Word tells us though that we live in a fallen world where all creation groans. We suffer from the accumulation of thousands of years of mutations, some of which almost certainly effect brain function and intelligence.*

chair

Strawman fallacy.Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument.

The straw man fallacy here is that "evolutionists" claim that the ancient Babylonians were less intelligent than we are. I am still waiting to see the evidence for that.

chair

So where exactly did any "evolutionists" claim that Babylonians were less intelligent? And who did they say they were less intelligent than?

Let the dodging begin. :chuckle:

Still waiting to hear from Stripe & Co. on this.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll relate only to one item:
We know why.

The people who you call Darwinists or Evolutionists do not, and never have, insisted that "ancient people were less capable than we are today", where the term "ancient people" refers to Homo Sapiens in historical times.
Sure, they have.

Less advanced technologically, perhaps, but not less capable intellectually.
Both.

You are not as stupid as you make yourself out to be sometimes, and I am sure that you are aware of this.

Still waiting to hear from Stripe & Co. on this.

But no retraction of your category errors. You're just going to let it slide that you think your ideas are "science," while your sneaky replacement of "evolution" with "science" is going to be ignored.

chair

Try OP, muppet.

Are we going to get a retraction over your category errors?

The OP does not show anything at all about "evolutionists" claiming that ancient Babylonians were dumber than modern people.(see your post #23 for that claim). It doesn't show how "evolutionists" were "surprised" at the recent find.

And no, I will not retract anything I have said about evolution in this thread. Nor will I let you distract the conversation away from the fact that your OP and following posts are factually incorrect, as are "6 days" posts. Irrespective of your pretending that evolution is a "belief system".

If you can't show where "evolutionists" were surprised and where they claim that ancient Babylonians were less intelligent than modern people- you should retract your statements.

6days

And no, I will not retract anything I have said about evolution in this thread. Nor will I let you distract the conversation away from the fact that your OP and following posts are factually incorrect, as are "6 days" posts. Irrespective of your pretending that evolution is a "belief system".
Chair..... if I was factually incorrect about something, then why not share it?

I addressed your claim that evolutionists didn't claim man in historical times was less intelligent. You may have missed the answer, but it seems you dodged. The belief system of evolutionists has certainly lead to claims of other people groups (and even women) being labelled as less evolved than white skin males.

chair

I addressed your claim that evolutionists didn't claim man in historical times was less intelligent. You may have missed the answer, but it seems you dodged...

You may have "addressed" it, but you have not presented a single quote or link to support this claim. You just keep stating it as if it was a fact. It is not.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The OP does not show anything at all about "evolutionists" claiming that ancient Babylonians were dumber than modern people.(see your post #23 for that claim). It doesn't show how "evolutionists" were "surprised" at the recent find.
Opening lines:

Analysis of an ancient codebreaking tablet has revealed that Babylonian astronomers had calculated the movements of Jupiter using an early form of geometric calculus some 1,400 years before we thought the technique was invented by the Europeans.

That is, their worldview taught them something that put them 1,400 years out. At least.
And no, I will not retract anything I have said.
Telling.

chair

Opening lines:

Analysis of an ancient codebreaking tablet has revealed that Babylonian astronomers had calculated the movements of Jupiter using an early form of geometric calculus some 1,400 years before we thought the technique was invented by the Europeans.

That is, their worldview taught them something that put them 1,400 years out. At least.Telling.

This has nothing to do with "evolutionists". Nor did anybody claim that the ancient Babylonians were less intelligent. The surprise here was that their technology was more advanced than historians thought.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This has nothing to do with "evolutionists". Nor did anybody claim that the ancient Babylonians were less intelligent.

And yet, this is not all you were demanding. How about you concede the thing this short passage shows that you did deny, and then perhaps you will be inspired to think through the rest of your silly demands. :up:

The surprise here was that their technology was more advanced than historians thought.
Disguising an answer to one of your demands by pretending it is something that should be obvious belies your earlier accusation: "It doesn't show how evolutionists were surprised at the recent find."

Now that you've admitted they were indeed surprised, perhaps you can calm down and think through the rest of the issue more sensibly. :up:

Seriously, this doesn't do an ounce of harm to your precious evolutionism. Not directly anyways.

Oh, and fixing your language w.r.t. "evolution" and "science" would be an excellent way to show that you are genuinely interested in a discussion. :thumb: