Battle Royale XIV discussion thread

Dartman

The Greek word Cosmos is almost exclusively used for the civilization ON this planet, NOT for the planet.
John 1:10 He was in the world (Cosmos), and the world (Cosmos) was made by him, and the world (Cosmos) knew him not.
This is NOT talking about the planet, and the animals "knew him not".
This is CLEARLY talking about mankind, the civilization of man, "knew him not".

Specifically: 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Jesus IS the creator of the civilization in which we live. Jesus is the "holy servant" of the Creator of the universe.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
No, it doesn't.
Yes, Dartman, it does too!

NT:2889 orderly arrangement, i.e. decoration; by implication, the world (in a wide or narrow sense, including its inhabitants, literally or figuratively [morally])
Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

Everyone has access to Strong's Concordance.

Use your head for something besides a hat rack and think for a change. The word kosmos has meant the created order since at least Plato's time and first used by the philosopher Pythagoras for the order of the universe (i.e. long before the book of John or any other New Testament book was written). There is a reason why its literally the same word as the English "Cosmos". That's what the word means. Live with it.

Please provide that reference.
I've already done that multiple times. Everyone word of which is still right here for the whole world to read. It would be nice if you'd read my posts before responding to them.

Last edited:

Dartman

The word kosmos has meant the created order since at least Plato's time and first used by the philosopher Pythagoras for the order of the universe (i.e. long before the book of John or any other New Testament book was written). There is a reason why its literally the same word as the English "Cosmos".
The New Testament usage of this word is relevant, the Greek philosophical usage is irrelevant. Given that the trinitarian doctrine is totally reliant on Greek philosophy and theology, I'm not surprised that you lean on that understanding.
The NT usage is discussing the civilization of man, man's order, NOT the universe.

Here are some examples:

John 16:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.
Surely you don't believe the planet and the wildlife on the planet rejoiced!!

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Surely you don't believe Jesus overcame the planet and the wildlife on the planet, or the solar system.

John 17:6-9 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. 9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

As I said, the NT usage of COSMOS is discussing the civilization of man, NOT the planet, animals, sun moon and stars.

Dartman

Textbook example of special pleading.

Stop using fallacies to defend your beliefs.
The NT usage is discussing the civilization of man, man's order, NOT the universe.

Here are some examples:

John 16:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Surely you don't believe Jesus overcame the planet and the wildlife on the planet, or the solar system.

John 17:6-9 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. 9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

As I said, the NT usage of COSMOS is discussing the civilization of man, NOT the planet, animals, sun moon and stars.

Dartman

Hebrews 1:8 But unto the Son he saith,
Sure, but in verse 9 the author of Hebrews changes the subject to Christ's God, "therefore God, even thy God". When we examine Psa 102 it is clearly talking about YHVH God, Jehovah ..... NOT about Jesus. It is Jehovah, Christ's Father, that anointed Jesus. Jesus didn't anoint himself! It is Jehovah that is the Creator in Acts 4, which ALSO states that Jesus is the Creators "holy servant", and that the Creator anointed Jesus.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Sure, but in verse 9 the author of Hebrews changes the subject to Christ's God
No.

Hebrews 1:8
But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

, "therefore God, even thy God". When we examine Psa 102
The author of Hebrews (the Holy Spirit) already examined Psalm 102.

it is clearly talking about YHVH God, Jehovah ..... NOT about Jesus.
False dichotomy.

It is Jehovah, Christ's Father, that anointed Jesus. Jesus didn't anoint himself!
Not in dispute.

It is Jehovah that is the Creator in Acts 4, which ALSO states that Jesus is the Creators "holy servant", and that the Creator anointed Jesus.
10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:

11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;

12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.

Dartman

Deut 18:15-19 Jehovah thy God will raise up unto thee a prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
16 according to all that thou desiredst of Jehovah thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of Jehovah my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not. 17 And Jehovah said unto me, They have well said that which they have spoken.
18 I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. 19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto My words which he shall speak in My name, I will require it of him.

John 12:48-50 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my sayings, hath one that judgeth him: the word (LOGOS) that I spake, the same shall judge him in the last day. 49 For I spake not from myself; but the Father that sent me, He hath given me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. 50 And I know that His commandment is life eternal: the things therefore which I speak, even as the Father hath said unto me, so I speak.

Christ's Father is JEHOVAH.

Idolater

Deut 18:15-19 Jehovah thy God will raise up unto thee a prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
16 according to all that thou desiredst of Jehovah thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of Jehovah my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not. 17 And Jehovah said unto me, They have well said that which they have spoken.
18 I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. 19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto My words which he shall speak in My name, I will require it of him.
Your view of the Trinity is a straw man. You have no idea what you're reading.
John 12:48-50 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my sayings, hath one that judgeth him: the word (LOGOS) that I spake, the same shall judge him in the last day. 49 For I spake not from myself; but the Father that sent me, He hath given me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. 50 And I know that His commandment is life eternal: the things therefore which I speak, even as the Father hath said unto me, so I speak.

Christ's Father is JEHOVAH.
Jehovah is Jehovah the Father, Jehovah the Son (Logos) and Jehovah the Holy Spirit (Breath). Psalm 33:6

Dartman

Jehovah is Jehovah the Father, Jehovah the Son (Logos) and Jehovah the Holy Spirit (Breath).

This statement is trinitarian fiction.
This statement contradicts reality... which is God's Creation.
This statement contradicts Scripture ... which is God's words.
The reference you offered contradicts your statement:
Ps 33:6 By the word of Jehovah were the heavens made, and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Ps 33:6 By the word of Jehovah were the heavens made, and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Speaking of Jesus:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. - Genesis 1:1 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis1:1&version=NKJV

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.He was in the beginning with God.All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe.He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’ ”And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him. - John 1:1-18 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John1:1-18&version=NKJV

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence. - Colossians 1:15-18 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians1:15-18&version=NKJV

Can't get any clearer than that!

Jesus is Jehovah, God the Son.

Idolater

How.

marke

According to Jesus if He is not God then He is not good.

Matthew 19:17
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The New Testament usage of this word is relevant, the Greek philosophical usage is irrelevant.
Saying it doesn't make it so, Dartman.

Language is language. The meaning of a word does not change dramatically because a philosopher used it as apposed to a banker or a black smith. Words can be used in special ways by various people but that special use would have to be explained somehow otherwise the normal meaning of the word would be naturally assumed by the reader.

Further, the bible is philosophy! Not only that, but John was very clearly intentionally using Greek philosophical terms! Terms such as Logos, for example! John's audience was clearly intended to be the Hellenized people of his day which would have had an naturally intuitive understanding of a common term such as 'kosmos'.

Given that the trinitarian doctrine is totally reliant on Greek philosophy and theology, I'm not surprised that you lean on that understanding.
You are so completely dishonest. You do as much harm to your position as anything I say, so keep it up.

The fact that something has support within Greek philosophy does not, by itself, present evidence that it is invalid. I, however, have not appealed to Greek philosophy but only to biblical sources, sources which are written in the Greek language, by the way, the meaning and usage of which could not escape being both an influence of, and being influenced by Greek philosophy. So, if you want to attack Trinitarianism on the basis of Greek philosophy, your burden would be to show how the doctrine is predicated on, not only some specific Greek philosophical point but one that is in contradiction to scripture. A feat that you would not even attempt to accomplish, even if you knew enough about either the bible or Greek philosophy to be qualified to do so, which you aren't.

So says you, which no one here cares anything about.

Here are some examples:

Alright, so first of all, let's convert this into modern English by using a version of the bible that isn't four centuries old and let's add a view verses so as to get the context of what is being said...

John 16:19 Now Jesus knew that they desired to ask Him, and He said to them, “Are you inquiring among yourselves about what I said, ‘A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me’? 20 Most assuredly, I say to you that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; and you will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned into joy. 21 A woman, when she is in labor, has sorrow because her hour has come; but as soon as she has given birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. 22 Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you.​

Yes, I absolutely believe that Jesus was talking about the whole planet and not just of that current time but of the whole past up to that time and the whole future as well. People rejoice to this day that Jesus was willing to "leave" so that we wouldn't have to. Indeed, if people failed to do so, the very rocks would do so in our stead.

Luke 19:40 But He answered and said to them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.”​

Once again, in modern English and with a bit more context...

John 16:31 Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? 32 Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. 33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you [f]will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”​

And, yes, I believe that this world (i.e. the universe - both the physically created order as well as the spiritual forces that are at play) is fallen and broken in ways that we will likely never fully understand and that Jesus overcame all of it - all of it.

I really dislike using the Old King James. It is very nearly unreadable.

And why, I WONDER, did you stop at verse 9?

John 17:6 “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7 Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You. 8 For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me. (i.e. not "created Me"​
9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 10 And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.​

I don't even want to hear how you configure the hoops your mind jumps through to make it through that passage. I don't care.
Also, I see no reason to think that Jesus wasn't also using the term "kosmos" here to mean the entire world. There is after all, only one Earth and Jesus was sent to that Earth to save all of it.

Further, even if we were to grant, for the sake of argument, that there are uses of the term "kosmos" which do not refer to the entirety of creation, which is true, it wouldn't successfully establish your point because there are several examples of when the term very definitely is used to mean the entire created order, or, at the very least, could be understood in that manner, which would leave you in a position where you would have to prove that your doctrinal interpretation was superior to someone else's, which you are neither willing nor qualified to even attempt.

It is, for example, laughably ridiculous that you would use three passages from adjacent chapters of one book of the bible in an attempt to establish the "biblical usage" of a term over the normal meaning of that term (i.e. not some special "philosophical" meaning) that everyone in the society at the time would have had an intuitive understanding of and which is used in the bible 187 times in 19 different books of the New Testament.

Last edited: