Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightSon

Originally posted by Turbo

That sounds great, LightSon. Piper is a Calvinist, right?

Do you think he'd be up for it?

Piper is a Calvinist, like the pope is catholic.

As to whether he'd be up for a debate, I have no idea.

Of course, if I hadn't lied about being his cousin, I'd have standing to call him up and ask. :(

I was just dreaming. I am fond of Piper; got to hear him preach once, and we chatted after. Maybe I'm too easily impressed.

Freak

Yes.
On what Scriputral basis do you believe this? Since the only ones I know of who believe works were ever required for salvation are cultists.

Now's the part where you paste John 3:16.
Only a pseudo-Christian would have a problem with God's Word being pasted. :rolleyes:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Freak

On what Scriputral basis do you believe this? Since the only ones I know of who believe works were ever required for salvation are cultists.
So Jeremy, Knight and I are cultists now, eh? :rolleyes:

Only a pseudo-Christian would have a problem with God's Word being pasted. :rolleyes:
Of course I don't have a problem with pasting Scripture. I do it all the time.

But you've pasted John 3:16 in response to this issue two or three times already. I figured you'd do it again, because from what I've seen that's about the only thing you can do to support your position.

Swordsman

I have a question. Why is the topic of "Were works ever required for salvation" important to us today? Someone please enlighten me. And please, no sarcasm. Thanks.

Freak

So Jeremy, Knight and I are cultists now, eh?
Truth is not based on what these posters believe but rather what the Scriptural record reveals.

But you've pasted John 3:16 in response to this issue two or three times already.
And you haven't responded to it. But let's move on to some others...

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--

I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.

I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?

I figured you'd do it again, because from what I've seen that's about the only thing you can do to support your position.
:kookoo: Try reading the words of the Lord Jesus above...and then get back with me...:chuckle:

billwald

" God instructed Moses and His children to keep His 10 Commandments."

Wrong, again. All of God's Children except 2 died in the wilderness? Everyone who left Egypt with Moses went to Heaven?

God provided a social contract for the people with Moses. Had nothing to do with salvation.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Swordsman

I have a question. Why is the topic of "Were works ever required for salvation" important to us today? Someone please enlighten me. And please, no sarcasm. Thanks.

From Jeremy's first-round post, emphasis mine:
Originally posted by *Acts9_12Out*

To summarize, the uncircumcision gospel is rooted in “justification apart from works” (Genesis 15:6 & Abram) while the circumcision gospel is rooted in “justification by faith works” (Genesis 17, 22 & Abraham). Once an understanding is reached that God dealt with Israel under the law where “faith works were necessary” and God is dealing with us, the body of Christ apart from the law where “faith alone” is necessary, then the Bible is much easier to understand.

billwald

TOPIC IS IMPORTANT because popular Christianity has consistantly misinterpreted the OT and the NT. Because St Paul wasn't as smart as everyone thinks he is.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Meanwhile, billwald throws most of the New Testament in the garbage, and calls Luke and Peter liars for endorsing Paul's ministry.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

As Turbo does with the words of the Lord Jesus. :rolleyes:
No I don't. :kookoo:

What's strange is... I seem to remember paraphrasing Luke 17:3-4 and Matthew 18:15-17 last summer, and in response you started a thread declaring that I teach "borderline heresy."

• "Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, "I repent,' you shall forgive him." Luke 17:3-4

"Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that "by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.' And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector." Matthew 18:15-17

Freak

No I don't.
Do you believe Jesus when He states:

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--

I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?

If those under the Law believed in what Jesus declared would they attain eternal life apart from any kind of works?

What's strange is... I seem to remember paraphrasing Luke 17:3-4 and Matthew 18:15-17 last summer, and in response you started a thread declaring that I teach "borderline heresy."
Your teaching is borderline heresy but Jesus embodies the very truth that you miliate against.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Do you believe Jesus when He states:

Of course!

If those under the Law believed in what Jesus declared would they attain eternal life apart from any kind of works?
You said it yourself... they were "under the Law." One of the things "Jesus declared" was that they were to keep the commandments.

• "If you love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15

"He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him." John 14:21

"If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love." John 15:10

Your teaching is borderline heresy but Jesus embodies the very truth that you miliate against.
I teach exactly what Jesus taught in Luke 17:3-4 and Matthew 18:15-17. You, on the other hand, teach that we should forgive everyone regardless of whether they repent.

If you see a discrepancy between what I teach and what Jesus taught in Luke 17:3-4 and Matthew 18:15-17, please explain that discrepancy.

(I predict that you cannot, but that you will quote a different verse out of context which you believe somehow "trumps" Luke 17:3-4 and Matthew 18:15-17.)

Freak

Of course!

Jesus says, "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."

This is true, Turbo, for all people, regardless of their position in relation to the Law. If those under the Law believed in Christ received "eternal life." It wasn't due to works but rather belief.

You said it yourself... they were "under the Law." One of the things "Jesus declared" was that they were to keep the commandments.

• "If you love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15
  • Keeping commandments brought eternal life, Turbo? Did it bring adoption into the family of God?

"He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him." John 14:21
    What was His commandments, Turbo? To love Him. This is the essence of salvation---to take upon His life. This wasn't a work. It was a trust matter---exchanging your life for His.

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.

"If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love." John 15:10
What did Jesus tell those under the Law...

You, on the other hand, teach that we should forgive everyone regardless of whether they repent.
Yes, we should forgive those who wrong us. We ought not to harbor anger, unforgiveness towards others....this in light of what Scripture teaches...

And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.

This passage doesn't teach we ought to wait until someone comes to us to forgive but that we should forgive regardless if they come to us in repentance.

Moving on...

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Clearly, our life is ought to be about forgiving one another regardless if one repents.

Then Jesus taught His Followers to forgive freely:

Give us each day our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.
And lead us not into temptation.' "

(I predict that you cannot, but that you will quote a different verse out of context which you believe somehow "trumps" Luke 17:3-4 and Matthew 18:15-17.)
That's what the Mormons tell me when they visit, "Jay, you can't trump our verses without of course quoting different verses out of context." Those is error usually resort to these kinds of arguments to rid themselves the responsibility of dealing with the clarity of God's Word.

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
This Battle Royale thing is lame when people don't respond to stuff. What's the point? Maybe there should be a rule for that or something. Jeremy's entire positive case for a faith-works salvation was made with the book of James, and Jerry says, count it, ZERO words about that. How's Jeremy supposed to respond and keep this going?

Freak

Originally posted by doogieduff

Jeremy's entire positive case for a faith-works salvation was made with the book of James, and Jerry says, count it, ZERO words about that. How's Jeremy supposed to respond and keep this going?
Jerry is doing an most excellent job. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.