Not open for further replies.

OMEGA

works

works

FIRST DEFINE WORKS.

YOU SHOULD DEFINE WORKS.

IS IT OLD TESTAMENT WORKS

OR NEW TESTAMENT WORKS

OR WORKS IN GENERAL ????????????????????????

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
:think:

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Doogieduff – I agree and I noticed the same thing. But don't forget that although Jeremy rested a more specific and in depth case from James, he also used numerous other scriptures in a well balanced fashion, including teachings from Noah, Moses, Abram/Abraham, Jesus, John, Paul, etc.

responsiveness
I would not worry about trying to make Jerry be more responsive, if an opponent becomes unresponsive, that non-verbal message usually spells out aversion and sometimes implies an unwillingness or inability to deal with the counterpoints and challenges presented. In short, it typically is the closest thing to an admission of defeat without it actually being said. :eek: And this is to be expected if your views are wrong in the first place. So perhaps this is simply an early indicator of things to come and about who is in the right and who is in the wrong.

a very long post
Also, to be fair, Jeremy’s first post was pretty extensive, so we owe Jerry some slack to respond to it all. But on that note, it seems to me that Jerry is on the defensive and Jeremy has handled Jerry’s points quite well.

I hope that Jerry will become more responsive. To be sure, if he doesn’t, it will be good for more observations. :thumb:

Jerry in a hurry
BTW, did you notice how quickly Jerry responded? I think that this is only a 5 round battle, and Jerry responded to Jeremy’s huge post within just 3 hours(!!!) even though he had two days to make a full and “sufficient” response. Concerning Jerry’s number of posts, this now comprises almost half of the entire debate! He only have three more posts to make, two more main debate posts and one final summery post.

Maybe Jerry is just too impatient? Maybe he’s just holding the wrong position. If he does not respond more directly, that will likely prove damaging to his position seeing how everyone will be able to look back and see how evasive he was. Only time will tell if he will improve.

practicality concerns from the nay sayers
BTW, I find it funny that folks don’t have an appreciation for how important this issue is. It helps us to understand several different and crucial things.
  1. The nature of our salvation, is it conditional or eternally secure, is OSAS true or not (Once Saved Always Saved)
  2. The nature of our Savior, in what ways did God change things and may again change things after this dispensation is over
  3. The clarity between law verses grace, they are not synonyms as many Christians effectively treat them
  4. The problem of legalism and false or dead works, this problem literally destroys the vitality of so many believers and helps to keep unbelievers from entering into salvation
All of which in my book, are very important and foundational issues that unfortunately the Christian church is anything but unified over.

Two different styles at work
Jerry tends to skip around a lot, while he covers a lot of ground, he doesn’t always land each point very securely. Jeremy is more methodical and presents his case solidly before moving on.

Last edited:

1Way

NoHell – Being evasive is classic for those in error (and all the way down to outright losers). Evasion is not for those who are willing and able to give a reasonable bible based apologetic for their faith. Christian unity of faith and God instructed accountability towards a bible conforming faith would have it no other way. But I would say that it’s too early to suggest that Jerry is being clearly evasive, he’s just not showing a good start, I hope things improve.

Hundreds may benefit from reading these debates
This is not a duel lecture series, it is not fine that Jerry is unresponsive. An otherwise objective third party observer (which I’m sure may be many over the following years) should be able to end up having a much better idea about which side is the truth after reviewing the entire debate. Many people do not have a clear idea which side is right and which is not, and if Jerry remains unresponsive to Jeremy’s well demonstrated scriptural points, then obviously he is doing a disservice for the sake of his side of the debate. But it may simply become evident that Jerry is in the wrong and that was why he became evasive, so this non-communication issue may prove useful in an objective sense.

The truth will prevail
If you right and you know it, lay your cards down for all to see. If your not right, then it’s customary to just dance around issues and pound the pulpit or repeat your claims as though that somehow establishes them. Aversion is defiantly not a good sign.

example of evasion
It’s like what happens if you walk into say a Sunday school class and you say hello to someone and then ask them some specific question like what time the class gets out, or if there is a scheduled meeting during the following week, but instead of being responsive, the other person simply ignores you. That sort of behavior is rude and not helpful. It takes personal integrity and standing firmly grounded on the truth in order to objectively refute your opposition. It takes no truth to be evasive.

On the other hand, so far as I can tell, Jeremy is doing a great job of dealing with what Jerry has offered.

Last edited:

BChristianK

Jeremy is doing a great job, though I would dissagree with him.

1 thing that I do want to know, how the heck did he get greek characters to show up right on this forum?

Grace and Peace

Freak

:darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm: Acts 9_12 is simply doing a horrific job in dealing with the Scriptures that Jerry has presented. When asked about John 3 he turns to John 8. Absurd.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When I asked you if you believe what Jesus said in Luke 17:3-4 and Matthew 18:15-17, you turned to Mark 11:25 and Luke 6:37(as predicted), figuring those verses somehow trump what Jesus said elsewhere.

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BChristianK

Jeremy is doing a great job, though I would dissagree with him.

1 thing that I do want to know, how the heck did he get greek characters to show up right on this forum?

Grace and Peace
use [ font=symbol]text to be displayed in Greek[/font], only without the space after the first bracket. It will look like this:
text to be displayed in Greek

That's a small font. :think: It might help to use the SIZE code to make it a little bigger:

Any time you see someone do something in their post and you wonder how they did it, just click the "quote" link and look at the code for their post.

Freak

Originally posted by Turbo

When I asked you if you believe what Jesus said in Luke 17:3-4 and Matthew 18:15-17,
I believe all of Scripture is God-inspired. I believe those passages...if someone repents we should forgive. But, we all should forgive those who do not repent, in light of those passages I referred to.

...you turned to Mark 11:25 and Luke 6:37(as predicted), figuring those verses somehow trump what Jesus said elsewhere.
Silly boy, those passages speaks of Jesus and his teaching on the subject. He calls us to forgive freely...

Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions.

Imagine that. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

CryTears

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Freak

Do you believe Jesus when He states:

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--

I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.

I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?

If those under the Law believed in what Jesus declared would they attain eternal life apart from any kind of works?

Your teaching is borderline heresy but Jesus embodies the very truth that you miliate against.

That is for starters; without it you don't get in the front door. But you have to work to keep yourself/ourself in the house.

CryTears

BANNED
Banned
:granite: seems to be missing? not even faking an interest.
mmmm. psst granite maybe you can cut and paste something to avoid suspicion of not posting something that does not further your agenda?
free help here when you need it.;)

BChristianK

Originally posted by Turbo

use [ font=symbol]text to be displayed in Greek[/font], only without the space after the first bracket. It will look like this:

That's a small font. :think: It might help to use the SIZE code to make it a little bigger:

Any time you see someone do something in their post and you wonder how they did it, just click the "quote" link and look at the code for their post.

Thanks for the tip :thumb:

Rolf Ernst

I don't believe there is a substantive difference between Jerry and Acts 9_12 out. Acts 9_12 out is addressing Jerry as if Jerry's understanding of "therefore being justified by faith we have peace with God..." does not carry with it the QUALITY of that faith.
Jerry speaks of the sufficiency of faith alone, but in using that perspective, he does not (insofar as I see) deny or rule out the QUALITY of saving faith--that the quality of true faith always issues in works.

Acts 9_12 Out's primary perspective is on the quality rather than on the sufficiency of faith, but one of his statements shows clearly that he understands that salvation is through faith, not through works, but he is stressing that the quality of faith by which men have access to God is a faith which works.

I don't believe they really disagree. They are, I think, just viewing the same truth from different angles. I believe that before this battle is over they will understand that they are warriors belonging to the same camp.

LightSon

Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

I don't believe there is a substantive difference between Jerry and Acts 9_12 out. Acts 9_12 out is addressing Jerry as if Jerry's understanding of "therefore being justified by faith we have peace with God..." does not carry with it the QUALITY of that faith.
Jerry speaks of the sufficiency of faith alone, but in using that perspective, he does not (insofar as I see) deny or rule out the QUALITY of saving faith--that the quality of true faith always issues in works.

Acts 9_12 Out's primary perspective is on the quality rather than on the sufficiency of faith, but one of his statements shows clearly that he understands that salvation is through faith, not through works, but he is stressing that the quality of faith by which men have access to God is a faith which works.

I don't believe they really disagree. They are, I think, just viewing the same truth from different angles. I believe that before this battle is over they will understand that they are warriors belonging to the same camp.

So you think they are "talking past each other"?

I've had this very same suspicion about the RCC. My ilk tends to lambast the RCC as teaching a works based salvation, whereas I have pressed catholics on this point. Often the rhetoric they use is not unlike my own, that being an acknowledgement that true saving faith will produce good works.

Rolf Ernst

Yeah, Lightson. I also had a conversation with a RCC priest and came to the same conclusion. Too often we get involved in stressing the point which is most interesting to us and in that process, talk past.
BUT Acts 9-12out has some very different theology concerning the Old Testament era, I think. His OT soteriology sounds strange to me and I would not right now be willing to say that he does not believe that obedience to the law is the MEANS, at least to some extent, in securing salvation during the OT era. Maybe his rhetoric just gives that impression. Why can't people just say either that (1) true faith secures salvation and true faith will also result in works out of love or else say, (2) works is the means of salvation. Men now (or then) earned salvation by their works. I believe acts9-12out believes #1 about the New Testament period, but I can't determine yet whether he believes that about the OT period. Jerry is quite plain with his meanings, but acts is not as straightforward with his wording.

1Way

same views but from a different angle...

same views but from a different angle...

Rolf – You said
Your talking quality verses sufficiency and Jeremy is saying that it used to be that you could be saved and then loose your salvation by not continuing to keep the law, works were required for salvation, but today they are forbidden for salvation. Jerry is saying that works were never required for salvation. Can’t you see that? Loosing your salvation is a very suffiency focus, or is loosing your salvation not a sufficient concern?

I think you still do not understood what Jeremy is saying. But he's not talking past you, many (or at least us mid Acts folk) understand him just fine, but it seems you and LightSon have a problem understanding this debate.

Last edited:

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Freak

Silly boy, those passages speaks of Jesus and his teaching on the subject. He calls us to forgive freely...

Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions.

Imagine that. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Freak, you do realize that Paul teaches contrary to this right? According to your scripture (which you never site BTW, how do you expect new Christians to grow if you don't even tell them where you're reading from? Since you won't do it, I'll do it for you. The verse in question is Mark 11:25.) you MUST forgive in order to be forgiven. Matthew speaks of the same thing,

Matthew 6:14-15
14 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

but according to Paul...

Ephesians 4
32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave us.

Colossians 3
13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

...you should forgive because you are already forgiven. You'll be a dispensationalist before you know it! But then again, you do have to have a decent understanding of the scriptures first....

p.s. Isn't "forgiving" a work freak? It seems as if you must do that work to be forgiven under the gospel of the circumcision.

Status
Not open for further replies.