Bible Study - the Book of Job

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
...God calls lot of folks righteous even though they are not perfectly sinless.

"...that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

Matthew 5:45

And the God of Jesus does not play favorites.

brinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinny View Post
Interesting perspective. Would you care to elaborate?

Thank you kindly.

Job asks "Why me? I am a good guy. I did everything right."

God says "Have a lesson in natural history, dude."

Is that what Job is saying? Was Job self righteous?

Thank you kindly.

6days

Tambora said:
Well, it's not so much that their doctrine was wrong, but that they misapplied doctrine.
In other words, their doctrine that God punishes wicked deeds is true. They thought that since this doctrine is true, then it must be true of why Job was being punished by God.
They were stuck, and could not see past that point.
Yes... I agree.*
But, I'm wondering how the ancients knew, or could know, proper doctrine without scripture. When we are confronted with beliefs that seem a wee bit off, we turn to scripture.*

Tambora said:
6days said:
2. Job's suffering seems to be caused by Satan, permitted by God. Was this a 'one off' situation? (Does Satan seek permission from God to wreak havoc in OUR lives?)
The term 'one off' is not one I am familiar with. What does it mean?
A unique situation.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/magazine/04FOB-onlanguage-t.html?referrer=&_r=0

Tambora said:
6days said:
2a. Do we have suffering that is not directly a supernatural cause?
IE. Do we have sickness, unexpected deaths etc etc that are simply a result of living in a sinful world?
I would say so.
The sun shines for, and the rain falls for the righteous and unrighteous alike. (Matthew 5:45)
Has nothing to do with whether they are good or bad.

Yes...I agree again.*

I feel a little uneasy with people who attribute everything to supernatural causes. IE 'God gave me a parking spot right where I wanted one'.*

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I don't know if it is self-righteousness but Job said he has no sin.

And God said he has no sin and godly man.

He said he had no hidden sin, all his sins were out in the open before God and pardoned.

His friends insisted that there MUST be some hidden thing in Job for it has been known since whenever that God punishes sin with all the various woes that seemed to be heaped on Job.

The question was and is did Job love God only in order to gain God's protection and blessing. ?

Job cries against his friends argument "where would ANYbody be if God were to put them under a magnifying glass"

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Yes... I agree.*
But, I'm wondering how the ancients knew, or could know, proper doctrine without scripture. When we are confronted with beliefs that seem a wee bit off, we turn to scripture.*

A unique situation.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/magazine/04FOB-onlanguage-t.html?referrer=&_r=0

Yes...I agree again.*

I feel a little uneasy with people who attribute everything to supernatural causes. IE 'God gave me a parking spot right where I wanted one'.*

The problem is folks start out with that in mind then they begin to think they can make super natural things happen by the decisions they make.

Why be uneasy.

Rest from yer own works and trust him.

Pray for quickening and to be lead by the Spirit.

There is peace after being tried in the fire.

Didn't God restore Job?

Last edited:

Interplanner

My favorite summary of Job comes from my main pastor in life:

Will a man remain loyal to God when there is no apparent advantage to do so?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Job continues his discourse.

Job appeals to the grave for relief. Not only for relief of his grief for the loss of his children, relief from destitution for the loss of livestock, and relief from physical pain; but also for relief of his mockers (his so-called "friends").
Job 17 KJV
(1) My breath is corrupt, my days are extinct, the graves are ready for me.
(2) Are there not mockers with me? and doth not mine eye continue in their provocation?

Job knows that the grave waits for everyone.
Perhaps he had not reflected on the benefits that death can bring before now. Perhaps now he can actually see a beauty in death itself.
John 12 KJV
(24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

The body must die for the seed within to germinate into a new life, a new creation.

Interplanner

The problem is folks start out with that in mind then they begin to think they can make super natural things happen by the decisions they make.

Why be uneasy.

Rest from yer own works and trust him.

Pray for quickening and to be lead by the Spirit.

There is peace after being tried in the fire.

Didn't God restore Job?

I think he did after Job realized God was not obligated to do so. Job 41:11, quoted in Rom 11:34 to show that God is not obligated to do anything for Israel as such.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
sorry my question was for Angel4Truth about her slogan

indifference as a synonym.

tolerate
verb
Synonyms and Antonyms of TOLERATE
to fail to prevent (some behavior on someone's part) especially from neglect or indifference

I am using real word definitions, not liberal redefinitions of words for pop culture. The first and primary meaning of the word tolerate is indifference.