Christian school board costs district hundreds of thousands of dollars

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

Why don't you watch your filthy, angry diatribes? You earned your ban.

People always bringing up other people's bans. Reminds me of what the Bible says about grudges and fault finding, and how much some are just like a pharisee- holding to law but disregarding their own sins.
No doubt, the same people who call women who underwent abortion murderers, but are not consistent enough to call in the death penalty for them the same as another who may have raped them.

Can't really take such seriously. Therefore, Rammstein :drum:

Oh well
Water under the bridge now :rolleyes:

PureX

The frustrating thing about this is how the school district employees were given plenty of opportunities to stop using the taxpayer-funded schools as a vehicle for their religion, but stubbornly refused.

The only question is, were they really stupid enough to think they could win such a case, or did they just not care?
If they had simply charged religious groups a nominal fee for using public property and facilities, to cover the costs, they probably would have had no problems doing it.

The legal issue is using publicly funded property and facilities for private (religious) purposes. I think if the school had been rented out, so that (non-Christian) public expenses were not being incurred, they would have been OK. If the public disagreed with renting the school facility out, they could address that issue at their public meetings, and through their next election.

Jose Fly

If they had simply charged religious groups a nominal fee for using public property and facilities, to cover the costs, they probably would have had no problems doing it.

The legal issue is using publicly funded property and facilities for private (religious) purposes. I think if the school had been rented out, so that (non-Christian) public expenses were not being incurred, they would have been OK. If the public disagreed with renting the school facility out, they could address that issue at their public meetings, and through their next election.

Are we talking about the same case? The one in the OP is about a school board that effectively turned their meetings into Christian revivals. I'm not sure what renting spaces out to religious groups has to do with that.

PureX

Are we talking about the same case? The one in the OP is about a school board that effectively turned their meetings into Christian revivals. I'm not sure what renting spaces out to religious groups has to do with that.
It doesn't matter if it was the school board members, themselves, or not. They should have been renting the facilities if they were going to use them for their own purposes, like that.

Calling their religious revivals "school board meetings" would be a different issue. That's just flat out lying. And the public should have shut the meetings down with loud protests. 'Prayin' an preachin' is not school board business.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
UPDATE: Now we have a dollar figure for how much taxpayer money the board wasted.

Chino Valley school board members ordered to pay $202K in legal fees

And guess who that money is going to?

So the atheist group, Freedom from Religion Foundation, gets the money. Way to go Christians!

They don't get the legal fees - the lawyers do, duh

That little story doesn't bother Christians, we see what's happening in the world
Just as the Bible says, there will be a falling away first. Recent and upcoming generations will continue to fall away from God, heralding the return of Jesus Christ.
2 Thessalonians 2:2-3 KJV -

2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

King James Version (KJV)

Jose Fly

It doesn't matter if it was the school board members, themselves, or not. They should have been renting the facilities if they were going to use them for their own purposes, like that.

I suppose, but that's an odd way of looking at it IMO. Wouldn't the better solution be for the school board to use their meetings for school business, and not for tent revivals?

Calling their religious revivals "school board meetings" would be a different issue. That's just flat out lying. And the public should have shut the meetings down with loud protests. 'Prayin' an preachin' is not school board business.

Exactly.

Jose Fly

That little story doesn't bother Christians, we see what's happening in the world
Just as the Bible says, there will be a falling away first. Recent and upcoming generations will continue to fall away from God, heralding the return of Jesus Christ.
2 Thessalonians 2:2-3 KJV -

2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

King James Version (KJV)

It's not exactly going out on a limb to predict "Some day, people will stop believing this stuff".

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Again, it goes to the lawyers who work for the Freedom for Religious Foundation. They have lawyers on staff you know. :duh:
Groups like that stifle education and activities. Now that district won't have football and basketball etc. and they will have to use old books with Jesus in them.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Where you are free from religion, but you can always try to disrupt or sue people anyway :rolleyes:

Jose Fly

Groups like that stifle education and activities. Now that district won't have football and basketball etc. and they will have to use old books with Jesus in them.

What a bizarre, backwards way of looking at this.

The school board runs its meetings in a blatantly illegal manner, gets sued for it, is told by the judge to stop their illegal activities but keeps doing them, loses the suit, and you blame the people who sued them? Does that mean your preference would have been for the board to continue with their illegal activities? :confused:

PureX

What is most puzzling and sad to me is that I'm sure these religious school board members had a perfectly good church in which to pray, and sing, and preach, right down the street. And had they prayed and preached and sung, there, no one would have objected, nor would they have had a legal right to object even if they wanted to.

But for some sick reason, these Christian "believers" (and they are ALWAYS Christians) just couldn't do their praying and preaching in their church. They HAD to do it in the public eye, wearing the "robes of state", so everyone could see them flaunting their righteousness in the public forum like a whore showing off her boobies. Which is EXACTLY what the founders of this nation expressly prohibited in the Constitution regarding church and state.

Why is it that Christians just can't seem to pray and preach in their tax-exempt churches, but instead HAVE to keep trying to wrap their religion in the authority of state by forcing it into the institutions and affairs of the state? Because I don't recall Jesus ever saying a word about wrapping our religion in the flag or in the power and the authority of the state.

I have been on TOL a long time, and I haven't yet seen one of you "true believers" explain to me why you have to keep pushing your beliefs into the public eye, and keep pretending that you're religion is somehow sanctioned by the state. Especially when Jesus never admonished anyone to do this, and he in fact, warned against it!

Jose Fly

Didn't Jesus weigh in on this very subject?

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.​

:think:

PureX

Sadly, this is what it means to too many modern American Christians …

12998498_994835380630958_1875343170311556036_n.jpg

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I think it's hilarious that liberals want to talk about wasting money when they go about everything, proverbially, as if it grows on trees.

God needs to be in the school systems, because when He was there, kids weren't committing suicide, mass shooting, or getting pregnant in massive numbers before. There's a common cause, and it's the obvious- not the superstitions liberals try to produce such as external objects being the reason.

It's the liberal philosophy, plain and simple. That's where it all began, and is astoundingly provable and demonstrable.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
I think it's hilarious that liberals want to talk about wasting money when they go about everything, proverbially, as if it grows on trees.

God needs to be in the school systems, because when He was there, kids weren't committing suicide, mass shooting, or getting pregnant in massive numbers before. There's a common cause, and it's the obvious- not the superstitions liberals try to produce such as external objects being the reason.

It's the liberal philosophy, plain and simple. That's where it all began, and is astoundingly provable and demonstrable.
No teenage suicides when God was in public schools? Who knew?