ChristianForums banned Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustard Seed

So your big claimed secret (that oddly everyone seems to know). You get it from here?

"And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father’s house."

oftenbuzzard

Mustard Seed said:
So your big claimed secret (that oddly everyone seems to know). You get it from here?

"And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father’s house."

Sure Sign of the Nail Handshake Analysis

1. Take a passage from Scripture (Isa 22:23). No problem here: great verse. And the verse is no secret.

2. Develop a hand shake based upon the verse. No problem here: kinda like the everpresent One Way sign of the 1970s that illustrated the verse John 14:6.

3. Teach it only to Mormons and refuse to discuss it with non-Mormons. Claim this isn't secretive it is sacred. Problem here:

SURE SIGN OF A CULT

Sarcastikus

oftenbuzzard said:
3. Teach it only to Mormons and refuse to discuss it with non-Mormons.[/b] Claim this isn't secretive it is sacred. Problem here: [/size]

SURE SIGN OF A CULT

Many religions have (or had) secretive practices or prohibit participation in particular rituals, but does that make them cults? Sometimes a religion must be secretive to survive because those opposed to it regard it as a cult.

How do you define the word 'Cult'?

oftenbuzzard

Sarcastikus said:
Many religions have (or had) secretive practices or prohibit participation in particular rituals, but does that make them cults? Sometimes a religion must be secretive to survive because those opposed to it regard it as a cult.

How do you define the word 'Cult'?

One aspect is exclusivity.

The point it that Mormons in their PR claim to be Christians too. Yet they are exclusivistic in their ordinances, theology and ritual. And the secrecy is a part of it.

CULT

Mustard Seed

oftenbuzzard said:

The point it that Mormons in their PR claim to be Christians too. Yet they are exclusivistic in their ordinances, theology and ritual. And the secrecy is a part of it.

CULT

Today, we read anti-Mormon writers complaining of the “secret” rites which take place in the temple, and point to verses such as Matthew 10:27 or Luke 12:3 to claim that Christians have no secret teachings, but rather, everything is preached from the housetops. They may as well be quoting Celsus’ accusation against the Christian “secret society,” the “secrecy and obscurity of their little club.” He wondered why “he {Christ} was not eager to make public anything he professed to do?” The secret anointings of the Christians are called into question, and again the old theme of willful misrepresentation pops up when he describes their “false descriptions of the punishments awaiting those who have sinned” and revealed inner-circle secrets to outsiders. Should all else fail, Celsus will not hesitate to use inflammatory language when referring to the Christian “cult.”

--taken from

http://www.fairlds.org/pubs/Celsus.pdf

Seems Mr Buzzy is taking pointers from one of the first, and more firm, early anti-Christian writers. One wonders why a Christian would be so ready to use the tools of some of the initial anti-Christians.

Mustard Seed

oftenbuzzard said:
Jeff Lindsay is in a cult an can't even detect himself.

His software is about as useless as a Liahona!

Then why are you using an equivilant definition of "cult" to the one described in his link?

oftenbuzzard

Mustard Seed said:
Seems Mr Buzzy is taking pointers from one of the first, and more firm, early anti-Christian writers. One wonders why a Christian would be so ready to use the tools of some of the initial anti-Christians.

What a lame attempt at putting word into my mouth so you can challenge those words rather than mine.

Search FAIR and Jeff Lindsey some more, maybe you can find other diversions to avoid the reality of your CULT-THINK.

Mustard Seed

oftenbuzzard said:
What a lame attempt at putting word into my mouth so you can challenge those words rather than mine.

Search FAIR and Jeff Lindsey some more, maybe you can find other diversions to avoid the reality of your CULT-THINK.

What words was I trying to put into your mouth? You make some unintelligable accusation of me puting words into your mouth and, like so many of your statements, just hope that an ignoramous or two will be so lost in the bile of their foul bias that they will just chalk it up to what you claim rather than actualy see how baseless and lame your response is.

Sarcastikus

oftenbuzzard said:

Christianity also exhibits theological exclusivism, but the secrecy is a thing of the distant past. The secrecy in Mormonism is also a trait shared with some forms of ancient Gnosticism, which in addition to secret rituals also had a more general need for a degree secrecy to be safe from zealous Christians who felt threatened by alternate theologies.

I searched using Google and found a number of descriptions of various "secret" Mormon Temple Ceremonies. There were even a few photos of the handshake mentioned a few posts ago! I guess the secrets aren't quite so secret anymore.

oftenbuzzard

Mustard Seed said:
What words was I trying to put into your mouth? You make some unintelligable accusation of me puting words into your mouth and, like so many of your statements, just hope that an ignoramous or two will be so lost in the bile of their foul bias that they will just chalk it up to what you claim rather than actualy see how baseless and lame your response is.

We'll let the readers decide whose comments are lame.

===

How about this little heretical ditty...

"As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become.''

oftenbuzzard

Sarcastikus said:
Christianity also exhibits theological exclusivism, but the secrecy is a thing of the distant past. The secrecy in Mormonism is also a trait shared with some forms of ancient Gnosticism, which in addition to secret rituals also had a more general need for a degree secrecy to be safe from zealous Christians who felt threatened by alternate theologies.

I searched using Google and found a number of descriptions of various "secret" Mormon Temple Ceremonies. There were even a few photos of the handshake mentioned a few posts ago! I guess the secrets aren't quite so secret anymore.

First, they are not available on any LDS site, are they?

And the LDS and GNOSTICS have a lot in common, including eternal destiny.

Sarcastikus

oftenbuzzard said:
How about this little heretical ditty...[/size]

"As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become.''

That reminded me of something written by one of the early church Fathers (Athanasius) in reference to Jesus: "God became man in order that man might become God."

Mustard Seed

oftenbuzzard said:
And the LDS and GNOSTICS have a lot in common, including eternal destiny.

I'm curious if you think what Christ said to the disciples, in the forty days AFTER His redeeming of all man kind, is of any importance. If so then why do we lack so much of it? If not, then explain why not. I don't agree with most Gnostic views (in fact the term 'Gnostic' is generaly just a term used by one sect to describe the other sects that it views as heretical) I'd be interested if you could find a single strand of Christianity, even the strands that survived the councils, that didn't have some claim to exclusivity, to Gnosis, of some kind.

oftenbuzzard

Sarcastikus said:
That reminded me of something written by one of the early church Fathers (Athanasius) in reference to Jesus: "God became man in order that man might become God."

Reread the couplet..

Mormons have God progressing from a man to God.
That's heresy in every century

Mustard Seed

Sarcastikus said:

Granted, when you have the liberty of deciding, and constantly reforming, the term 'cult' it's not too far off to pick and chose between church Fathers. Of course I know you knew that.

Mustard Seed

oftenbuzzard said:
Reread the couplet..

Mormons have God progressing from a man to God.
That's heresy in every century

Then C.S. Lewis, by your definition, is a heretic--

The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were "gods" and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him-for we can prevent Him, if we choose-He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said.

Status
Not open for further replies.