College Football 2017

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
College Football 2017

Congratulations to UCF

This year’s National Champions

After their 34-27 victory over Auburn (who beat Alabama), UCF is the only unbeaten team, and therefore National Champs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Congratulations to UCF

This year’s National Champions

After their 34-27 victory over Auburn (who beat Alabama), UCF is the only unbeaten team, and therefore National Champs!

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...cf-knights-raise-national-championship-banner
:chuckle: Someone should tell their AD that's not how it works.

No one, not the committee, not the AP, and not the coaches, looked at their season and had them in the top four. They wouldn't have made it into an eight team playoff. Strength of schedule, if you're from a weak conference, is critical in distinguishing a one-off win against a down opponent from a statement game. They didn't have that.

Meanwhile the top ranked teams made the playoffs. And if Alabama wins the actual National Championship, it will have had to beat the number 1 and 3 ranked teams in back to back weeks to manage it. There's nothing close to that in the UFC consideration.

Also still not National Champions, undefeated:
1999 Marshal,
2004 Auburn
2004 Utah
2006 Boise State

Can't wait to see the banner though. I hope it's hand sewn and lovely to behold. ;)

drbrumley

True in the NFL too. Ask the Pats. And teams that don't win their conference sometimes win the SB. Which is one reason why the people who put the playoff together didn't make conference championships a requirement.

Oh Town, sometimes you really are good for a laugh..

Yes. your correct the NFL allows wildcard teams. But there are criteria to meet to even be a wildcard. How that is lost on you I don't understand. Buffalo wasn't voted in.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh Town, sometimes you really are good for a laugh..
:D Coming from you that's high praise indeed. Especially in light of your punch line in this one.

Yes. your correct the NFL allows wildcard teams.
And some of them win Super Bowls and are proclaimed Champion, even if they won fewer games than the teams they beat.

But there are criteria to meet to even be a wildcard.
Right. And there are criteria to meet to be in the NCAA playoffs.

How that is lost on you I don't understand. Buffalo wasn't voted in.
So you're against the national championships your Gators and every other team in the history of college football have accumulated?

Man, that's harsh.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Not only is UCF raising a banner to celebrate their National Championship, they are having a parade at Disney World this Sunday to celebrate their National Championship.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Buffalo wasn't voted in.

Buffalo is in because of their record.

The NFL doesn't care about strength of schedule. In the NFL you can have the easiest schedule in the league, and if you have a better record than the team with the hardest schedule in the league, you get in. It doesn't matter that you had an easier schedule, or played in a weaker division.

If we apply those rules to college football, then UCF should have been the #1 seed, and they are the National Champions.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
They beat Auburn.
Right. That can happen. Better teams get beaten by weaker ones on occasion. So you need more than one late bowl game (which happened after the consideration by committee) to hang who you are on.

Auburn beat Alabama and Georgia.
And was beaten by Georgia, whom Alabama is favored to beat in the actual Championship game. And they have a power conference to speak for them in their season play. There's just no serious comparison between the level of competition and strength of schedule killed the Knights.

They're undefeated, and beat the team that beat Alabama and Georgia. No other team can make that claim.
You see the list of better and unbeaten teams that didn't hoist a banner, even though they all probably felt like champions?

They also beat #20 Memphis. Who did Alabama beat prior to Clemson?
You mean other than then ranked #3 Florida State, #16 Mississippi State, and #19 LSU? The Knight's strength of schedule just doesn't compare.

:D

Look, you can sew all the banners you like, but whoever wins the game Monday will be the National Champ.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Look, you can sew all the banners you like, but whoever wins the game Monday will be the National Champ.

Reminds me of 1973.

The UPI named Alabama the National Champion before the bowl games. Undefeated Alabama then lost to undefeated Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. Notre Dame was awarded the National Championship by the AP.

Yet, Alabama claims 1973 as a National Championship year, even though Notre Dame beat them and finished undefeated at 11-0.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Reminds me of 1973.
It shouldn't given there's nothing in it that parallels the present situation. And the championship was awarded to Alabama before the bowl. It's one of a couple of disputed championships, but things were a little sloppy back then.

The UPI named Alabama the National Champion before the bowl games. Undefeated Alabama then lost to undefeated Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. Notre Dame was awarded the National Championship by the AP.
Which to me is fair, though it isn't Alabama creating a title. It was conferred externally and the NCAA recognized it as well.

Yet, Alabama claims 1973 as a National Championship year, even though Notre Dame beat them and finished undefeated at 11-0.
Again, they didn't decide to declare themselves. Not much in common and nothing in any of this curious attempt rebuts my points in my last.

So, like it or not, the two best teams in the nation will decide the issue for the record books come Monday. Roll Tide. :)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It shouldn't given there's nothing in it that parallels the present situation.

The parallel would be an undefeated team claiming the National Championship, while at the same time, one-loss Alabama claiming the National Championship (provided they beat Georgia).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The parallel would be an undefeated team claiming the National Championship
No, both teams were awarded the title by different organizations in the case of Alabama/ND. It's theirs. The Knights have claimed it for themselves. That isn't how it works and it just makes the AD look like a doofus and a poor loser who needs to reconsider his scheduling.

So even that is very different.

, while at the same time, one-loss Alabama claiming the National Championship (provided they beat Georgia).
Similarly, if Alabama beats Georgia it won't be claiming a National Championship. It will have that honor conferred upon it, again.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Knights have claimed it for themselves. That isn't how it works and it just makes the AD look like a doofus and a poor loser who needs to reconsider his scheduling.

I know, I know....I'm just messin' with you. The Alabama/Georgia winner is the undisputed National Champion.

I think it's a great story only because it may persuade college football to expand to eight teams in the playoffs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
26169409_317367252091157_5708484423951780709_n.jpg

Thug Life...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I know, I know....I'm just messin' with you. The Alabama/Georgia winner is the undisputed National Champion.

I think it's a great story only because it may persuade college football to expand to eight teams in the playoffs.
In order, I figured (the alternative being you agreeing with Jerry) and I'd like to see it. Power 5 plus three at large. Should pretty much cover it.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Power 5 plus three at large. Should pretty much cover it.

I like it, but even then, some teams will still complain. Heck, even with 68 teams making the basketball bracket, there are always two or three every year who complain about not getting in.

Had the 5+3 been in place this year, UCF still might not have gotten in.

The 5:

Georgia
Clemson
Ohio State
Oklahoma
USC

Then which 3?

Alabama
Wisconsin
Miami
Penn State
UCF
Washington
Auburn

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Alabama 26, Georgia 23

The University of Alabama, National Champions.

Roll Tide.

Congratulations !!!

It was a really fun game to watch.

Tua Tagovailoa was unbelievable. I have never seen a true freshman QB come into a game in the second half, and play like that on such a big stage.

My only complaint of the game was the officiating when Georgia was up big. It appeared like the refs kept Georgia from turning the game into a blowout.

First the refs called offsides on a blocked punt, that was not offsides. Then the refs didn't call a blatant face mask penalty. Then an Alabama player slaps the Georgia QB in the head right in front of the ref, and no call.

Those calls, and no-calls allowed Alabama to get back in the game. That pass interference on Alabama's game tying drive, was also cheap.

But, Georgia had a chance to win. Alabama's defense really toughened up in the second half after that 80 yard TD by Georgia.

It was also nice hearing Tagovailoa thanking his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ when being interviewed.

One other thing......Trump got a very loud standing ovation from the crowd when he entered the field for the anthem. There were some boo's, but the vast majority were cheering loudly for him.

ESPN wanted to interview Trump, and Trump declined. Therefore, not once did ESPN show Trump sitting in his box during the game. Had Obama been there, ESPN would have shown Obama at least twice every quarter.