College Football 2017

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
An all SEC championship game (Alabama vs. Georgia) would really upset a lot of people.
Hey, if they can get by Clemson and Oklahoma they'll deserve it and who cares? That's the point of a playoff, winners advance.

That said, I think all of this will help those of us who believe in an expanded playoff system. Eight teams, one extra week and everyone who belongs in the conversation will have their shot.

WizardofOz

As a
51XX6wi9GQL.jpg
fan,

all I can say is
159130515.0.jpeg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
[FONT=&quot]The more I think about it, the more like the idea of having an 8 team playoff with the Power 5 Champs getting automatics and having 3 at large selections decided on by committee.

Dan Wetzel thinks the problem is worrying about conference championships and thinks seeding without that is the way to go. I like the championships because it can eliminate bias that's nearly inevitable in the alternative and suspect three at large bids would satisfy most. Take the conference champs then look at the top ten or so and take the next three top down.[/FONT]

drbrumley

[FONT="]The more I think about it, the more like the idea of having an 8 team playoff with the Power 5 Champs getting automatics and having 3 at large selections decided on by committee.

Dan Wetzel thinks the problem is worrying about conference championships and thinks seeding without that is the way to go. I like the championships because it can eliminate bias that's nearly inevitable in the alternative and suspect three at large bids would satisfy most. Take the conference champs then look at the top ten or so and take the next three top down.[/FONT]

:up:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Amazing comeback win for Georgia. Alabama is dominant in the first half against Clemson. If they can put together an entire game like that the national championship will be an SEC affair.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Alabama is looking like they belong in this playoff. 24 - 6 Bama going into the 4th quarter against the top ranked team in the nation.

drbrumley

Gotta love dr. :)

I'll just point to the scoreboard, the committee placement (which is, after all, who determines which team belongs) and smile a deeply satisfying smile.
Point away.

If Alabama wins next week.."oh. Look at us. We won the national championship. Yet we couldn't even win our division."

:sigh:

Sent from my SM-G920V using TOL mobile app

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I knew it.
Wouldn't that have looked more like, "We're going to have an all SEC contest and that's going to upset people"? :chuckle: But I'll give you the next best thing. Any idea which team wins it? That come from behind by Georgia was remarkable, but it also demonstrated the holes in that offense.

Point away.
Done. :)

If Alabama wins next week.."oh. Look at us. We won the national championship. Yet we couldn't even win our division."
Nah, what we'll say is what any team in the playoffs with one loss would, "It was a hard fought game against a fine opponent."

Few teams go undefeated. Alabama lost one game to a team that split wins with the eventual conference champion. So what that one loss tells you is how good the SEC is at the top, and that at the very top any team is vulnerable on a given week. True in the NFL too. Ask the Pats. And teams that don't win their conference sometimes win the SB. Which is one reason why the people who put the playoff together didn't make conference championships a requirement.

We just beat the number one team in the nation. Now we have to face a very good Georgia for all the marbles. I don't know who will win that contest, but I do know whichever team does will deserve it for the only reason that really matters, they were better on the day. Hats off to them.

jaybird

Bama still doesn't belong....no conference championship.

you realize they are the best team in the nation right? and once again they will put more players into the NFL than anyone else. before the playoff teams were selected bame still had the best vegas odds for NC. just saying.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Any idea which team wins it?

Considering the game is going to be played in downtown Atlanta, one would think that gives the advantage to the Bulldogs. It should be like a home game for Georgia.

If the game was going to played in downtown Birmingham, I would say Alabama hands down. However, even though the game is in Atlanta, I'm going with the team that has the experience.

Roll Tide!

Not to mention the OP in this thread:

While in Tuscaloosa, Alabama yesterday, I stopped by Bryant–Denny Stadium for a selfie (as promised to TH)

What better way to get ready for college football than visiting the home of the #1 Alabama Crimson Tide?

View attachment 25889

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Maybe we should have the Alabama Crimson Tide play the New England Patriots to see which team is the greatest dynasty of this century.

Champions:

2001 - Patriots
2003 - Patriots
2004 - Patriots
2009 - Alabama
2011 - Alabama
2012 - Alabama
2014 - Patriots
2015 - Alabama
2016 - Patriots
2017 - ??????....looks good for Alabama & Patriots

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Georgia fans driving up ticket prices for title match against Bama

Atlanta is a great sports town, but starved for championships (almost Clevelandesque).

Championships:

Braves - 1
Falcons - 0
Hawks - 0
Their hockey teams - 0

So......this game against Alabama is a huge deal to the people in Atlanta, and Georgia.

Especially, after last year's Super Bowl.
Worst sports town in the country. They've gotten better than they deserve with the one Brave's ring. Fair weather fans.