College Football 2017

drbrumley

:mock: Town, trying to make us all believe you can be a National Champion and cannot even win your conference..what a joke

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
SO WHAT??????? You didn't win your conference. You had your opportunity....and you lost.
And that's not the determiner. It's a factor.

So I see, all this is about is statistics. Now I understand.
No, but they support the committee's decision.

Your made up assumption clouding your judgement. I can guarantee you if this was Florida, I would be saying the SAME EXACT THING. Win your conference.
And if the facts were as they are I'd disagree with you.

:mock: Town, trying to make us all believe you can be a National Champion and cannot even win your conference..what a joke
:plain: Time will tell. I know you can compete for one.

drbrumley

It should have been Ohio State because they were conference champ that didn't end season with a loss

Just get rid of conference championships. I guess you can lose your last game and technically finish third in your conference and still make the playoffs.

drbrumley

Biggest underlying message of the CFB Playoff:

There is no reason to have conference championships

drbrumley

Alabama getting in the CFB playoff is exactly why I like the NFL better. No politics, no strength of schedule. No fluff. Win and you’re in.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Alabama getting in the CFB playoff is exactly why I like the NFL better. No politics, no strength of schedule. No fluff. Win and you’re in.
If college football were run like the NFL Alabama would still be in the playoffs, because they're good enough to compete. So would a few others worth seeing, like Ohio State.

Meanwhile, the Associated Press top 25 is out. The Top 10?

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Wisconsin
7. Auburn
8. USC
9. Penn State
10. UCF

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Just get rid of conference championships. I guess you can lose your last game and technically finish third in your conference and still make the playoffs.

The Big 12 tried that last year, and because they did, they didn't get a team in the CFP.

So, this year they had a conference championship, and it almost screwed them. Oklahoma would have been in this year with no conference championship, but had they lost to TCU in their conference championship game, no team from the Big 12 would have made it to the CFP.

It's crazy.

Also, this is the third rear in a row, Clemson will play Alabama in the CFP.

However, because Clemson and Alabama play in the first round, we won't have a Clemson/Alabama championship game, like we have had the last two years......don't know if that's a good thing, or a bad thing.

drbrumley

If college football were run like the NFL Alabama would still be in the playoffs, because they're good enough to compete. So would a few others worth seeing, like Ohio State.

Meanwhile, the Associated Press top 25 is out. The Top 10?

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Wisconsin
7. Auburn
8. USC
9. Penn State
10. UCF
Point is, you have a set pattern. Win your division, you're in. Thr nfl adds 2 wild cards to make the top 2 seeds have byes. Under that criteria, Alabama is out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TOL mobile app

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Point is, you have a set pattern. Win your division, you're in. Thr nfl adds 2 wild cards to make the top 2 seeds have byes. Under that criteria, Alabama is out.
No, they'd still be in. The NFL has four wild cards with a shot at the big game. That's a sum of the top 12 teams. Alabama is in any way you look at it, unless you exclude all but conference champions.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Alabama is in any way you look at it, unless you exclude all but conference champions.

The selection committee took a lot of criticism last year by selecting Ohio State over Penn State.

Then when Ohio State got crushed 31-0, it made their selection look even worse.

I wonder if picking Alabama over Ohio State this year, was some sort of "revenge" at Ohio State for making them look bad last year?????????

Or, had they chose Ohio State over Alabama this year, and Ohio State got crushed by Clemson again this year, maybe people would accuse them of having an Ohio State bias?

IOW, maybe they were afraid of Clemson crushing Ohio State again in the first round.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Whatever the selection reason, one thing is certain. The Clemson vs. Alabama game will be the third straight year these teams meet in the CFP, with each winning the championship the last two years.

No matter how much one disagrees with the Alabama selection, watching the "rubber match" of these two teams should be a treat.

drbrumley

Whatever the selection reason, one thing is certain. The Clemson vs. Alabama game will be the third straight year these teams meet in the CFP, with each winning the championship the last two years.

No matter how much one disagrees with the Alabama selection, watching the "rubber match" of these two teams should be a treat.

I don't know about that...Clemson just seems alot better....Alabama was riding high, new OC and all....once teams finally figured him out, it started getting tough. The run game hasn't been good since Mississippi St. To many injuries at linebacker, although they will be back for the game.

My money is Clemson right now...@9/4 odds.

:think:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The selection committee took a lot of criticism last year by selecting Ohio State over Penn State.

Then when Ohio State got crushed 31-0, it made their selection look even worse.

I wonder if picking Alabama over Ohio State this year, was some sort of "revenge" at Ohio State for making them look bad last year?????????

Or, had they chose Ohio State over Alabama this year, and Ohio State got crushed by Clemson again this year, maybe people would accuse them of having an Ohio State bias?

IOW, maybe they were afraid of Clemson crushing Ohio State again in the first round.
Maybe, but is that the reason the AP has Bama ranked fourth? Or the FPI and SOR both putting the Tide soundly within the top four? Look, I'm not saying we're fielding the next National Championship team this year. I'd like to have our LBs back in the mix. I'd rather have an angry team looking in from the outside going into next year, but given the chance to compete this team will compete. No one, not even the momentarily great Tigers, made Alabama look bad. We did that to ourselves and still stayed in that game until late.

I think it should be a fun series of games. I have no solid idea of what will come of it. :cheers: