College Football 2017

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
4 TD's didn't beat Clemson :idunno:
Alabama course corrected on its offensive approach and that leaves us with a more rested defense this year. And Watson was a problem for everyone. Looks like he's a problem for the NFL now. :chuckle: I'm even rooting for him and that star crossed Texan team.

I agree with everything you said, it's just a shame all the headlines in the NFL have nothing to do with football.
Which is a shame, but I'm not going to be distracted. Considered, sure, but the game remains. And it's a terrific one. I'm looking forward to the afternoon game today.

drbrumley

Wow, what a day here in GatorLand...
[MENTION=7640]Town Heretic[/MENTION], all I can say is if Florida lands Frost.....your days of domination are about up.

drbrumley

And I also want to add.......Butch Jones is going to be coaching football games longer in 2017 than Jim McElwain.
Wild.

drbrumley

Florida has GOT to get Frost....if not, the program is going back to the pre Spurrier days on a regular basis....

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Where is Nick M and Chrysostom for this weeks "Catholics vs. Convicts?

#3 Notre Dame vs. #7 Miami......Not since 1990 have these two teams had a combined higher ranking.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Best "Catholics vs. Convicts" games

1988 - #4 Notre Dame 31 #1 Miami 30 (one of the greatest college games ever)

1989 - #7 Miami 27 #1 Notre Dame 10

1990 - #6 Notre Dame 29 #2 Miami 20

1987 - #2 Miami 24 #10 Notre Dame 0

1983 - Miami 20 #13 Notre Dame 0

1982 - #10 Notre Dame 16 #17 Miami 14

1980 - #7 Notre Dame 32 #13 Miami 14

1984 - #14 Miami 31 #17 Notre Dame 13

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Awful Iron Bowl. I've never seen an Alabama team execute that poorly in every phase of the game. Just remarkably bad first half and we were lucky to be in it at that point. Then Bama drove and scored to pull ahead and I thought they'd settled in a little. No. From the moment Hurt let the clock run on him on there was sloppy, absurdly uncharacteristic play and that was that. Auburn came to play and looked about as good as they had against Georgia. Their coach is going to regret the "handily" defeated remark at some point, but he earned the right to utter it, even if he shouldn't have.

And now we wait and see what happens.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And now we wait and see what happens.

The problem for your Tide is how weak their schedule was this year.

However, an Oklahoma and/or Wisconsin loss could get your Tide into the playoffs.

The Clemson/Miami winner is automatically in.

If Georgia wins, they are automatically in. However, if Auburn wins, the same thing could happen as last year with Ohio State and Penn State, but Alabama doesn't have that significant win this year like Ohio State did last year at Oklahoma. So, I would bet Auburn gets in over Bama if Auburn beats Georgia.

So, the question becomes, does a one loss Alabama (with very weak schedule), get in over a two loss/conference champion TCU, or two loss/conference champion Ohio State?

If both Oklahoma and Wisconsin win, Alabama has virtually no chance.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As for my Pitt Panthers........

Two years in a row, they beat the #2 team in the country (and beat Penn State)

Somehow they can do that, but at the same time, they can't beat an 0-8 North Carolina team at home.

:idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The problem for your Tide is how weak their schedule was this year.
True. And I'm not sure I want us in the playoffs given what I saw in the Iron Bowl. That was shoddy. A team that wins the national can have an off game, but that one was worse than the score. Now Auburn had something to do with that, but when you see a team with that experience having composure issues, that's not a good sign.

However, an Oklahoma and/or Wisconsin loss could get your Tide into the playoffs.
I wish that made me feel better. I'm really not sure I want us in with what I saw yesterday. The Tua rumblings have begun.

The Clemson/Miami winner is automatically in.
That could be a fun game. Go Clemson!

If Georgia wins, they are automatically in. However, if Auburn wins, the same thing could happen as last year with Ohio State and Penn State, but Alabama doesn't have that significant win this year like Ohio State did last year at Oklahoma. So, I would bet Auburn gets in over Bama if Auburn beats Georgia.
I think that's both right and fair.

So, the question becomes, does a one loss Alabama (with very weak schedule), get in over a two loss/conference champion TCU, or two loss/conference champion Ohio State?
I think it's possible. And if Auburn and Georgia play close it may be more so. I can see the committee looking at the body of work and considering an off performance against a hot SEC champ, in their house, and moving Alabama into a competitive slot. But I won't be upset if it doesn't happen.

If both Oklahoma and Wisconsin win, Alabama has virtually no chance.
I think that's right.

drbrumley

I'm thinking Alabama gets in.

I'm a firm believer only Conference champs should get in so that leaves USC, Ohio St or UCF.UCF is never going to get the nod so really its USC/OSU.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What do you think?

Ohio State or Alabama?

We'll find out in 2 hours.
Some will say Alabama was beaten by Auburn, a multiple loss team, and Ohio State beat the number 4 team in the nation. It's Ohio State. Others will say that Auburn beat the two best teams in the nation before an injury to the one guy they couldn't afford to lose cost them in the rematch with Georgia and that Alabama lost their only game to them when they were still the team that no one wanted, lost a game on their doorstep that was undecided in the 4th and playing arguably their worst game of the year.

I think both arguments have merit. For Bama's sake I hope the pick is Ohio State for two reasons. First, at this point I believe Clemson and Oklahoma are the likely top match. Clemson knows how to play us and they're in top form. Oklahoma has the sort of offense that can beat a great defense unless the other team's offense can keep it off the field. Alabama's defense is hurt this year in a way that matters. Our offense is inconsistent. We might beat GA, but I'm not sure we're in a position to beat either of the others and being passed over might put a fire in the belly of Alabama that we haven't had in a while.

Or maybe I'm just feeling jaded. The FPI index has Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Penn State as the best teams in the country and I'm reminded that Ohio State lost their game by 31...and that SOR has Alabama in front of Ohio State. Vegas believes that Alabama is the favorite against any team but Oklahoma on a neutral field and the SOR (Strength of Record) has it Oklahoma, Clemson, Georgia, Alabama.

Last edited:

drbrumley

Must be nice for Bama to play a crappy schedule, only play 11 FBS teams, have LSU as their best win who also lost to Troy, have no top-15 win, not win their division, and have no conference champion. The CFP committee made a “statement” but thus is not a good precedent

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Must be nice for Bama to play a crappy schedule, only play 11 FBS teams, have LSU as their best win who also lost to Troy, have no top-15 win, not win their division, and have no conference champion. The CFP committee made a “statement” but thus is not a good precedent
Hush, Gator baiter. :eek: As I noted in my last, the Strength of Schedule has Alabama in the top 4. The FPI has them 1st. Vegas says only Oklahoma is favored over us on a neutral field. My trepidations aside, let the games begin. :D