College Football 2017

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
While in Tuscaloosa, Alabama yesterday, I stopped by Bryant–Denny Stadium for a selfie (as promised to TH)

What better way to get ready for college football than visiting the home of the #1 Alabama Crimson Tide?

View attachment 25889

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Before Tuscaloosa, I was in Baton Rouge in the morning. I couldn't believe how big LSU's stadium was.

I also couldn't believe how big Alabama's stadium was.

So, I found on wikipedia, that both stadiums are #6 and #7 for largest stadiums in the United States.

Largest stadiums in the United States:

1) Michigan - 107,601
2) Penn State - 106,572
3) Ohio State - 104,944
4) Texas A&M - 102,733
5) Tennessee - 102,455
6) LSU - 102,321
7) Alabama - 101,821

The Big 10, and SEC have the top seven largest stadiums in the United States.

Darrell K. Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium (Texas Longhorns) is #8, and holds 100,119. No other stadiums hold more than 100,000.

The largest NFL stadium is MetLife Stadium (Jets & Giants), and it holds 82,500

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Of the current top ten ranked teams, only Clemson (#5) doesn't have their QB from last year, returning this year.

All the other nine teams have the same QB as they did last year.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Alabama and Florida State play opening weekend. Michigan and Florida play opening weekend. Florida had to suspend 7 players. What a start. Just over 2 weeks to go.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Your cousin James Franklin is getting paid for winning the Big Ten and knocking off Ohio State. 6 year extension at 5.7 per year.

I'm not sold on Franklin.

I see last year as a fluke.

However, Penn State does get a lot of good players.

Geographically, Penn State is probably the most successful, and biggest college football program in the Northeast. Boston (and all of New England) has Boston College, which hasn't been relevant since Flutie. NYC has nothing. Syracuse hasn't been relevant since Jim Brown. Philadelphia has Temple.

Throw in Baltimore and Washington DC (Maryland sucks), and Penn State has a huge population base to recruit from.

IOW, Penn State is the best college football program near Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, all of New England, New Jersey, and Delaware.

Not to mention the players they get from Pittsburgh.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In 2009 there were 105,121 fans in AT&T Stadium, home of the Cowboys, to watch the Boys play the Giants.

Yes, but officially, AT&T Stadium only holds 80,000

There is a reason.

Up until 2015, if an NFL team didn't sell out their games, the games were blacked out within 75 miles.

NFL teams rarely built stadiums beyond 80,000 capacity, so they didn't lose the TV revenue, and the ones that did (i.e. Cowboys) restricted their capacity.

Therefore, AT&T Stadium has highest capacity, but MET Life still has the highest official capacity.

From Wikipedia:

"With a peak capacity of over 100,000 spectators, AT&T Stadium has the highest capacity of any NFL stadium, while MetLife Stadium has the highest listed seating capacity at 82,500.....For this reason, until the blackout was suspended in 2015, the Cowboys restricted capacity to 80,000 seats at AT&T Stadium, a stadium that can hold over 100,000 spectators at full capacity; likewise, the Los Angeles Rams cap capacity at the 93,607-seat Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum to 80,000 seats for most games."

LOL....I guess Jerry was too afraid to list the capacity of AT&T Stadium at 100,000 because he was afraid the games wouldn't sell out.

Only teams that suck worry about not selling out, and we all know how bad the Cowboys have sucked the last 20 years (2 playoff wins since 1996)

:chuckle:

We don't have that problem in Pittsburgh (17 playoff wins, and 2 Super Bowl wins since 1996)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Once again you forget about the Steeler's streak of 39 years without winning a play-off game.

When I started watching pro football the Steelers were the laughing stock of the NFL!

This is the college football thread.

As big as the state of Texas is, and despite all of the college football in the state of Texas, the state of Texas has ONE NCAA college football championship since 1970 combined amongst its colleges.

Football in Texas is so bad, it's embarrassing.

Putting aside how bad the Cowboys have sucked the last 20 years, and how the Oilers and Texans have never even made it to a Super Bowl..... Texas, Texas A&M, SMU, UTEP, Rice, Baylor, TCU, Houston, and Texas Tech have ONE championship COMBINED since 1970.

Jerry, why is college football so terrible in Texas? Why do all the college football teams in Texas suck almost as bad as the Cowboys have sucked the last 20 years?

For perspective, the state of Florida has TEN college football championships since 1970. Texas has more schools than every other state except California, but has only ONE championship.

Why do all the Texas colleges suck so bad at football?

drbrumley

So who's your pre season top 10...

I have......

1. Clemson
1. Alabama
2. Ohio St.
3. Oklahoma
3. Stanford
4. Wisconsin
5. Florida St.
5. Michigan
5. Oklahoma St.
6. Florida
6. Utah
6. Washington

Last edited:

drbrumley

Opening game...

#14 Stanford vs Rice in Australia Stanford
#19 South Florida @ San Jose St. South Florida

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you have nothing to say about the fact that it took the Steelers 39 years to win their first play-off game?

Yes, I wasn't alive for most of those years.

However, I have been watching football since 1972, and since 1972, no team has dominated the NFL like the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I can't imagine how bad the Steelers were those 39 years before 1972. I'm guessing they were almost as bad as the Cowboys have been the last 21 years?

Also, why is college football so bad in Texas?

With all those teams, and all those 5 star high school players from Texas, why does the entire state of Texas only have 1 National Championship since 1969?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's almost that time of the year for me to point out the fact that the Missouri Tigers have never won a National Championship.

That's 127 consecutive years without a championship for Missouri.

2017 isn't looking good for the Missouri Tigers to end their futility streak.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not sold on Franklin.

I see last year as a fluke.

Saquon Barkley is hardly a fluke. He is 5'10, and squats 600 lbs, i.e., can't be tackled. I don't think the season was a fluke. Anyway, Franklin was a little better than mediocre at Vanderbilt, and that is really hard to do. They make the football team go to class. Just like Northwestern in the Big 10.

Speaking of Barkley, at Big Ten Media Days, a reporter asked Urban Meyer if comparisons to Elliot were fair.

It's probably pretty fair, I think he's that quality of a back, that quality of a worker from everything I hear and read. I think that's very fair.

He will encroach 2000 yards, but it is hard to get it, because McSorley will contribute on offense.