Convince Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chair

Take the Chair challenge! Convince me that Christianity is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

There are some rules:

1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Christianity before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.
2. Give some evidence or reasoning for your statements.
3. Avoid circular reasoning. If you want to prove something from the Bible, you will have to convince me that the Bible is true first.
4. Please be brief. I get lost in long-winded lengthy posts.
5. Personal experience ( I feel God) won't work with me, so don't bother.
6. Don't assume that I agree with you on anything before I have actually said so. Some ideas that you think are held by everybody but be completely foreign to me.

Honestly - I view this as an intellectual exercise. I don't expect to be changed in my thinking. But you never know...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Take the Knight challenge! Convince me that Judaism is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

There are some rules:

1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Judaism before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.
3. Avoid circular reasoning. If you want to prove something from the Bible, you will have to convince me that the Bible is true first.
6. Don't assume that I agree with you on anything before I have actually said so. Some ideas that you think are held by everybody but be completely foreign to me.

Honestly - I view this as an intellectual exercise. I don't expect to be changed in my thinking. But you never know...

:rolleyes:

Balder

Well, if Judaism isn't true -- or at least right about some fundamental things -- then Christianity is in trouble too.....

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The Jews were looking for the Messiah. What must happen to convince you the Messiah has come? Can you imagine anyone having more influence on the world than Jesus? If Jesus is not the Messiah, how do you explain His success? Can you imagine a better message?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Balder said:
Well, if Judaism isn't true -- or at least right about some fundamental things -- then Christianity is in trouble too.....
Point.... missed. (by you) :)

Last edited:

bling

chair said:
Take the Chair challenge! Convince me that Christianity is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

There are some rules:

1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Christianity before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.

I have said this several time to you. I am not trying to sell you on Christianity or some kind of religion, but on Christ. It might be extremely difficult to see Christ on a tread. He is today living through the lives of his followers. I am afraid to many that call themselves followers of Christ really don’t have Christ living an active live in them. Follow those that are caring out of a deep love for their God, the really poor x-prostitute African aide’s victim, what ever religion they have will be right. It can not be a love for the esteem of others, or love of fellow human beings, or done do duty sac. It has to be out of their love for God. Their lives will show their love and we would do good to follow their God.

mighty_duck

That's easy.

1. Don't you want to go to heaven? The only way is through Christ. You have so little to lose and so much to gain by following him, you would be a fool not to. When you are judged, you will be without excuse, since I told you about Him right here.

2. You don't need to be convinced, you already know Christ in your heart. You are willfully ignorant

3. Because of the impossibility of the contrary.

[/Sarcasm]

This is about the best you can hope for here..

allsmiles

chrysostom said:
The Jews were looking for the Messiah. What must happen to convince you the Messiah has come?

If I had to guess, the messiah would actually have to fulfill scriptural, messianic criteria.

Can you imagine anyone having more influence on the world than Jesus?

I don't have to imagine. There's Buddha, Krishna, Sun Tzu...

If Jesus is not the Messiah, how do you explain His success? Can you imagine a better message?

Yes, I can imagine a better message, and frankly, Jesus hasn't had success, Christianity has.

Real Sorceror

Um, well lets see.....
You get to have a relationship with God...........but I guess Jews already have that......
Oh, you get to go to Heaven..........but I guess Jews do that too........
Uh, you get a neat holy book.............what? You've already got one?
Darn.....

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
chair said:

There are some rules:

It's a shame Elya isn't around.....I would like to see him take a shot at this if he was willing. :think:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
chair said:
I don't expect to be changed in my thinking.
TRANSLATION: When you share your pearls with me, I am going to mock you.

Any post that ends with a "I don't expect to be changed in my thinking." or a "no matter what evidence you present I will not change my mind." or "I don't care what you say it wont make any difference." should be a warning that the poster's only intention is to waste your time.

allsmiles

Knight said:

Any post that ends with a "I don't expect to be changed in my thinking." or a "no matter what evidence you present I will not change my mind." or "I don't care what you say it wont make any difference." should be a warning that the poster's only intention is to waste your time.

Knight, evidence contrary to your beliefs is posted here on TOL every day and I know you see a great deal of it. Can you honestly say that your attitude is any different than the one you've described here?

chair

Knight said:
Take the Knight challenge! Convince me that Judaism is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

There are some rules:

1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Judaism before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.

:rolleyes:
I have never tried to conviince anybody here to become Jewish, and I ain't gonna start now. Many have tried to convince me of the truth of Christianity, thoiugh, which is why I opened this thread.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
Knight, evidence contrary to your beliefs is posted here on TOL every day and I know you see a great deal of it. Can you honestly say that your attitude is any different than the one you've described here?
Yes.

You will never hear me say... "I don't expect to be changed in my thinking." or "no matter what evidence you present I will not change my mind." or "I don't care what you say it wont make any difference."

Therefore, my attitude is indeed "different".

allsmiles

Knight said:
Yes.

You will never hear me say... "I don't expect to be changed in my thinking." or "no matter what evidence you present I will not change my mind." or "I don't care what you say it wont make any difference."

Therefore, my attitude is indeed "different".

Your incapability to perceive the nuance of my question is rivalled only by your abject failure to present evidence to support the existence of your god's alleged son.

I didn't ask about what you would say Knight, either you didn't notice because you weren't paying attention or you did and you're being dishonest.

Neither would surprise me.

Cracked

chair said:

Have you ever tried to come to Christ humbly, as His servant, in love? Until you do that, I don't think anyone is going to be able to convince you.

chair

Knight said:

The alternative was to lie, and pretend that I was on the verge of converting. I chose to be honest.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
chair said:
The alternative was to lie, and pretend that I was on the verge of converting. I chose to be honest.
I never stated you weren't being honest.

Forgive me for being able to predict how a thread will develop.

I have doing this for a long time. It's my curse. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.