Discussion on GOD's Purpose for the Elect

popsthebuilder

We have all heard of the elect of GOD. Some even claim outright, to be, the very elect (which, by the way, is a sure sign they aren't). But I'm not too interested in discussing those particulars. What I would enjoy discussing is GOD's purpose for the elect.

I have my opinions on the subject but would like for others to chime in before I go any further with no audience. Please; if anyone has what they believe to be useful insight towards profitable conversation regarding the topic at hand then feel free to post. It is also my hope that this remain a discussion of a civil type, without attack and degradation of spirit. We are to edify one another and not fight and argue, so if this thing goes south then I'll most likely abandon it.

I look forward to the insights of others on the topic.

Thanks in advance,

peace

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

beloved57

I believe the Gods purpose for the Elect is their being conformed to the image of Christ Rom 8:28-30

[FONT=&quot]28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

3:When Christ shall appear, at His second coming, they the Elect shall be like Him 1 Jn 3:2

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

This also is what Paul means here Col 1:27

To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:[/FONT]

popsthebuilder

I believe the Gods purpose for the Elect is their being conformed to the image of Christ Rom 8:28-30

[FONT=&quot]28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

3:When Christ shall appear, at His second coming, they the Elect shall be like Him 1 Jn 3:2

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

This also is what Paul means here Col 1:27

To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:[/FONT]
Outstanding.

So then; if the elect are to be conformed to the likeness of the Christ of GOD then it would follow that, using scripture as a base of knowledge of what the anointed of GOD was like, we can easily and with a surety discern who it is that may be conformed, and also who is a wolf madcarading as a shepard.

Beloved57; in my personal little opinion, that was the most concise and pointed post I have read of yours. Thank you sincerely. Please do post more of the same vain if you would.

peace

beloved57

pops

So then; if the elect are to be conformed to the likeness of the Christ of GOD then it would follow that, using scripture as a base of knowledge of what the anointed of GOD was like, we can easily and with a surety discern who it is that may be conformed, and also who is a wolf madcarading as a shepard.

Christ is the Truth Jn 14:6 the gauge I believe is The Truth as it is in Christ Jesus, thats something that cant be masqueraded.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What I would enjoy discussing is GOD's purpose for the elect.

"For He has not put the world to come, of which we speak, in subjection to angels. But one testified in a certain place, saying: 'What is man that You are mindful of him, or the son of man that You take care of him?'

You have made him a little lower than the angels;
You have crowned him with glory and honor,
And set him over the works of Your hands.
You have put all things in subjection under his feet.

For in that He put all in subjection under him, He left nothing that is not put under him. But now we do not yet see all things put under him. But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone." (Hebrews 2:5-9)

Truster

But I'm not too interested
What I would enjoy*
I have my opinions
before I go any further with no audience.
It is also my hope
then I'll most likely abandon it.*

A series of "I's" and for good measure a "my" says it all. Self centered.

popsthebuilder

What I would enjoy*
I have my opinions
It is also my hope

It's OK to be without a clue friend, but your contribution was simply a garbled mess with little to no point or weight.

Perhaps next time you could actually add to the discussion.

popsthebuilder

What I would enjoy*
I have my opinions
It is also my hope

No, the topic is the elect of GOD and GOD'S purpose for them. I don't go around claiming to be the elect of GOD or Christ like some false teachers like to do while condemning everyone; so the topic is in no way self centered.

Seeing as how it is my topic; it was only right to inform people of the parameters of the conversation.

God's Truth

Those in false doctrines have wrong beliefs about God's chosen and elect.

I am one of God's chosen and elect, and that means I have been saved.

All that God saves are elected , or chosen for salvation. They are elected /chosen when God saved them and gave them His Holy Spirit. God did not elect us in the predestined way the Calvinists teach, but God elects us when we believe, obey, confess, repent of sins, and call on the name of the Lord to save us.

Not all Bible translations even use the word elect.

Read this scripture that says ‘elect’ and ‘chosen.’ Mark 13:20 “If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them.

Notice Revelations 17:14 even uses ‘called,’ and ‘chosen.’

Revelation 17:14 They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers.”

1 Thessalonians 1:4 For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you,

James 2:5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

Matthew 24:24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Matthew 22:14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

2 John 1:13 The children of your sister, who is chosen by God, send their greetings.

Matthew 24:31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

Mark 13:22 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Romans 11:7 What then? What the people of Israel sought so earnestly they did not obtain. The elect among them did, but the others were hardened,

Titus 1:1 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness—

Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

John 5:21 For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.

Ephesians 1:4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love

1 Corinthians 1:27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

1 Corinthians 1:28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,

2 Thessalonians 2:13 [ Stand Firm ] But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

Truster

It's OK to be without a clue friend, but your contribution was simply a garbled mess with little to no point or weight.

Perhaps next time you could actually add to the discussion.

It so happens that the "garbled mess" were quotes from your OP.

Truster

No, the topic is the elect of GOD and GOD'S purpose for them. I don't go around claiming to be the elect of GOD or Christ like some false teachers like to do while condemning everyone; so the topic is in no way self centered.

Seeing as how it is my topic; it was only right to inform people of the parameters of the conversation.

Much to the dismay of the pastor and the people in the first denomination I visited after being saved. I took heed of Peter and not them.

"Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:"​

I'd say it took at least 14 years to fulfil this command. The assurance it brings is often called arrogance, but that can only be expected from people who have never been through it. It strips a man of arrogance, hacks away at the root of self-esteem, annuls confidence in the flesh and the works of the flesh.

This is a singular act of obedience that occurs in time, but is motivated from eternity, because no man is fit for this work.

popsthebuilder

Those in false doctrines have wrong beliefs about God's chosen and elect.

I am one of God's chosen and elect, and that means I have been saved.

All that God saves are elected , or chosen for salvation. They are elected /chosen when God saved them and gave them His Holy Spirit. God did not elect us in the predestined way the Calvinists teach, but God elects us when we believe, obey, confess, repent of sins, and call on the name of the Lord to save us.

Not all Bible translations even use the word elect.

Read this scripture that says ‘elect’ and ‘chosen.’ Mark 13:20 “If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them.

Notice Revelations 17:14 even uses ‘called,’ and ‘chosen.’

Revelation 17:14 They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers.”

1 Thessalonians 1:4 For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you,

James 2:5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

Matthew 24:24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Matthew 22:14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

2 John 1:13 The children of your sister, who is chosen by God, send their greetings.

Matthew 24:31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

Mark 13:22 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Romans 11:7 What then? What the people of Israel sought so earnestly they did not obtain. The elect among them did, but the others were hardened,

Titus 1:1 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness—

Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

John 5:21 For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.

Ephesians 1:4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love

1 Corinthians 1:27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

1 Corinthians 1:28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,

2 Thessalonians 2:13 [ Stand Firm ] But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.
Thank you for the addition GT.

I know you are much more versed in the Bible than myself. Would you like to input why you believe GOD chooses people? Do to think it is for their own sake, or the sake of others, both, or neither.

Your knowledgeable input is always welcome friend.

peace

Last edited:

popsthebuilder

Much to the dismay of the pastor and the people in the first denomination I visited after being saved. I took heed of Peter and not them.

"Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:"​

I'd say it took at least 14 years to fulfil this command. The assurance it brings is often called arrogance, but that can only be expected from people who have never been through it. It strips a man of arrogance, hacks away at the root of self-esteem, annuls confidence in the flesh and the works of the flesh.

This is a singular act of obedience that occurs in time, but is motivated from eternity, because no man is fit for this work.
Don't come in here with your lies.

You are the most arrogant person I have incountered on tol; also the most disingenuous.

God's Truth

Thank you for the addition GT.

I know you are much more versed in the Bible than myself. Would you like to input why you believe god chooses people? Do to think it is for their own sake, Goethe sake of others, both, or neither.

Your knowledgeable input is always welcome friend.

peace

My beliefs are that the plan for salvation is to be through Jesus, and that plan was made before the creation of anything.

I believe that God wanted us to know good and bad, and He wanted us to chose Him.

Our struggling to be with God and to know Him is what we should do.

God came to earth and was made just like us, but without sin, and showed us the way.

There is no greater love than Jesus.

Jesus chooses those who believe and follow his directions.

popsthebuilder

My beliefs are that the plan for salvation is to be through Jesus, and that plan was made before the creation of anything.

I believe that God wanted us to know good and bad, and He wanted us to chose Him.

God came to earth and was made just like us, but without sin, and showed us the way.

Thank you again. I'm almost surprised you made it through my error laden post and do again thank you for not bashing me for it; it is good to know that our (yours and mine) communication block seems to be lifting.

So the elect of GOD in this day are for the direction and sake of GOD'S creation. As was and is the Christ of GOD. Would you agree? Is that scriptural? In contrast; is the opposite true as some propagate; are the elect of GOD for the destruction and damnation of the sinner.

Sorry for the choppy post; tapatalk does odd things when one Dave's AMD returns to a post.

peace