Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm a homeschooling mom of 23 years ago. Except for a maybe a few iffy parts, this explains a big reason of why we chose to educate our kids ourselves.

Dont stay in school.

glorydaz

I'm a homeschooling mom of 23 years ago. Except for a maybe a few iffy parts, this explains a big reason of why we chose to educate our kids ourselves.

Dont stay in school.

It's sad, and it gets worse every year. No wonder middle school kids are taking sleeping pills. That's the latest I just heard from one of my grandkids. Yikes.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I agree, the traditional school track of 1960s forward was all geared to learn in college, be a teacher, accountant, lawyer, or doctor. This is what my father believed we had to do. With one exception teacher, only for girls.

Well back then they had vocational training, this was before the Department of Education. Now they tried to make all the same in the name of equality. What bunk, as most were not going to be teachers, accountants, lawyers and doctors, rather they would be millwrights and carpenters, electricians, plumbers, repairmen, machinists, and tool and die makers, which used to be taught in HS, even in the 50s, but somehow the singing masters thought a machinist was not as good as teacher, account, lawyer and doctor. What baloney, few are these go on that far in school, while most want to get to work, not spend years in college and more in grad school.

We lost the American workforce, and some think it is wages have to be too high; this would not be true if HS grads were able to perform skilled work. Education in the US public schools killed jobs for Americans.

glorydaz

I agree, the traditional school track of 1960s forward was all geared to learn in college, be a teacher, accountant, lawyer, or doctor. This is what my father believed we had to do. With one exception teacher, only for girls.

Well back then they had vocational training, this was before the Department of Education. Now they tried to make all the same in the name of equality. What bunk, as most were not going to be teachers, accountants, lawyers and doctors, rather they would be millwrights and carpenters, electricians, plumbers, repairmen, machinists, and tool and die makers, which used to be taught in HS, even in the 50s, but somehow the singing masters thought a machinist was not as good as teacher, account, lawyer and doctor. What baloney, few are these go on that far in school, while most want to get to work, not spend years in college and more in grad school.

We lost the American workforce, and some think it is wages have to be too high; this would not be true if HS grads were able to perform skilled work. Education in the US public schools killed jobs for Americans.

:first:

josh95

"I'm a homeschooling mom of 23 years ago."

It looks like you need to go back to school because that is completely broken English.

Anyway,
As a parent you should want your child to succeed in life.
To home-school a child you are saying that you can teach your child better, then multiple teachers with degrees in a specific subject?

I agree that A lot of what schools teach is wrong, the video is borderline stupid.
Maths plays a huge part in the world we live in. he keeps going on about how kids should learn economics but not maths!?
Maths is the very fundamental principle of economics.....

Anyway,
By homeschooling youre also depriving your child socially. How will they make friends? meet their first girlfriend? discover who they are? if you keep them at home all day?

glorydaz

It looks like you need to go back to school because that is completely broken English.

Anyway,
To home-school a child you are saying that you can teach your child better, then multiple teachers with degrees in a specific subject?

I agree that A lot of what schools teach is wrong, the video is borderline stupid.
Maths plays a huge part in the world we live in. he keeps going on about how kids should learn economics but not maths!?

Anyway,
By homeschooling youre also depriving your child socially. How will they make friends? meet their first girlfriend? discover who they are? if you keep them at home all day?

Oops, your public education is showing.

I do have to laugh at this idea of homeschoolers being socially deprived. What they are "deprived" of is peer pressure. My kids had friends of all different ages, so they didn't have that problem. They learned more in two hours than public school kids learn in a week. You really should get your facts straight before posting in a thread like this one.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

Dont stay in school.

Education is about learning how to use the tools that will help get a job. Maths, as the Brits call it, are the foundation for economics and paying taxes. Understanding our history gives us a chance to not repeat the mistakes of the past. Dissecting frogs or creating art or studying classical literature exposes students to career possibilities they may not have considered otherwise. My children attend public school but that by no means means that I have nothing to do with their education. I help them applying for jobs and paying taxes and we discuss current affairs.

You kids and my kids have exactly the same advantage even though our chosen method of education is very different: they have parents who care enough to be involved in their education.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Can't believe I ended it with "ago"! :doh:

Well, actually I can. Every now and then, my pulik skool ejumikation still slips through. As you can see, it still haunts me to this day.

Anyway,

:rotfl:

Live in the stone age much?

Btw, by your poorly submitted sentence above, I see that you're the product of pulik ejumikation as well. :thumb:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Anyway,

Anyway,

You have made many assumptions that are not the reality for all home-schooled children.

Also, prior to lecturing someone else about their inferior teaching skills, you should make sure that your own communication skills are beyond reproach. Simply said ... you need to work on your own grammar and spelling.

Insofar as socialization, there are other ways for children to socialize that do not include public school. Little league, church outings, family gatherings, etc.

In all honesty, the kids I went to public school with from K though 6 are NOT those I remember fondly.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Look: Homeschooling works for some families, and not others. It's not inherently superior or inferior to education in a public or private school. If it works for you and yours, great, but don't pretend it will (or should) work for everyone, and don't pretend you're providing a better education for your kids simply because you're teaching them at home.

Frankly I've never been able to understand how the very same products of a public school system they repeatedly trash think they're somehow qualified to teach their own kids.

pqmomba8

Dont stay in school.

Ummmm, I think it shows. (Based on your grammar above, anyway.)

The public school my daughter goes to is fantastic - I couldn't be happier. Variety of subjects, mandatory computer programming classes, arts, liberal education (small 'l'), exposure to different cultures, etc.

Homeschooling may work for some kids, but not all.

Depening on the public school system in your particular locality, there's nothing wrong with public education.

Red_Dirt

Poly was a true pioneer. When did home schooling begin to take off, anyway? It couldn't have been much before 1990.

The video points up the validity of the old system, often called "The German System," which union Progressives of the Federal Department of Education have rejected as tracking, or slotting students. The video makes good points about students who should probably be on the vocational track. Life skills especially might apply to kids lacking decent parenting.

The overall impression of the video, though, is an adult with serious emotional problems .

As far as the language mastery goes, is it not true that computer based language education has made great strides over the past 30 years? I have personally witnessed great progress made by Asian students, offshore, using language, question and answer type, web forums.

I think if parents are willing to take responsibility for their own child's education, then some of the taxpayer money might go towards supporting some of those excellent online resources.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've never been able to understand how the very same products of a public school system they repeatedly trash think they're somehow qualified to teach their own kids.
Easy, as always with you.

Parents are a better option than random strangers.

Red_Dirt

Trained Teacher. An oxymoron?
State Certified Educator. Even possible?
-------------------------------------

This is really quite a good post. Wish I could spread it around the forums.

Last edited:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
More often than not, they do.

And parents are a better option than the best-trained teachers.