Faith to believe on Christ !

beloved57

Christ the author of our Faith !

Heb 12:2

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

This is a broad statement, inclusive of the fact that He is the cause of our Faith. The word author means: Originator, the inaugurator, leader, pioneer, forerunner. The word is translated differently in Heb 2:10

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Jesus is the author of faith, the originator, the inaugurator, the source, and the cause of Faith. The natural man has no faith ability Jn 6:44.

Christ is the cause of Faith in all the spiritual seed of Abraham, and its He that causes Abraham to have a believing seed Gal 3:7

7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Abraham could not produce a believing seed, no more than he could produce a believing Isaac, so its Christ that produces the Abrahamic believing seed, He is the source of their faith, true to Gods promise.

We dont have Faith of ourselves, Eph 2:8, the Faith by which we are saved[converted] we received from Our Saviour 2 Pet 1:1

Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

beloved57

The Believers Faith is the fruit of the New Birth, the renewing of the Spirit 2 Thess 2:13

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Titus 3:5-6

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Notice, Jesus Christ as Saviour will shed the Holy Ghost on them He saves, causing their regeneration and renewal.

Hes not our Saviour if He doesnt do that for us. And Faith is the result, fruit of that.

beloved57

Believing in Christ for all Salvation isnt something generated out of the natural man, man cannot do that Jn 6:44, to true believing in Christ is the result of the working of Gods Almighty Power Eph 1:19

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

We believe corresponding to and in agreement with the working of Gods Mighty Power. And yet people tell us they believe in Christ by their own freewill decision. Thats supplanting the Power of God !

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Believing in Christ for all Salvation isn't something generated out of the natural man,

What are you even talking about?

Jesus Christ came and died for all men. The gospel of grace preached enables a man to believe (or choose not to believe) in Christ for Salvation.

It's as simple as that. The belief is a RESPONSE to Christ coming and dying. It's not a spontaneous act. A man cannot believe in something he has never heard of!

man cannot do that

Yes, man can believe, when the gospel is presented to him.

Does not say what you want it to say.

to true believing in Christ is the result of the working of Gods Almighty Power Eph 1:19

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

YES, as a result of Him coming to the cross and raising Himself from the dead, we are able to believe.

That's LITERALLY ALL THAT VERSE IS SAYING! It's NOT saying that our belief is something God did.

We believe corresponding to and in agreement with the working of Gods Mighty Power. And yet people tell us they believe in Christ by their own freewill decision. Thats supplanting the Power of God!

No, it's not.

Wills are not superpowers.

If a man believes, it is because he has heard the gospel of Christ and is RESPONDING to God's calling through it. If he never heard the gospel, then he couldn't believe in it.

beloved57

Faith is a gift from the Risen Savior, it is imparted into the redeemed soul by the Holy Spirit in the work of regeneration, therefore being a heavenly blessing, and can only act and move under heavenly influence. Heb 3:1

Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Faith is a gift from the Risen Savior, it is imparted into the redeemed soul by the Holy Spirit in the work of regeneration, therefore being a heavenly blessing, and can only act and move under heavenly influence.

Meaningless nonsense.

That a person can have faith is because Christ came and died for him. It is BECAUSE God offers the gift of salvation to anyone that puts their faith in him that we can have faith.

Heb 3:1

Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

This verse doesn't support your position.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Faith is a gift from the Risen Savior,
No it's not. It's not a gift at all. Faith is believing. Believing truth is no more a gift than is drinking coffee or eating an omlet. Now, a cup of coffee may be a gift, and one's ability to drink it may be a gift; but it would be ludicrous and wrong to say that one's drinking a cup of coffee is a gift given him/her by someone else.

it is imparted into the redeemed soul by the Holy Spirit in the work of regeneration,

Is regeneration a gift?
Is redemption a gift?

Also, why would a redeemed soul need to be regenerated by the Holy Spirit? Would it not, rather, be the unredeemed soul who needs to be regenerated by the Holy Spirit?

Last edited:

Hoping

Banned
Faith is a gift from the Risen Savior, it is imparted into the redeemed soul by the Holy Spirit in the work of regeneration, therefore being a heavenly blessing, and can only act and move under heavenly influence. Heb 3:1

Having something to have faith in is a gift from the risen Savior.
Having the choice to believe anything is a gift from God.

beloved57

Faith in Christ is a Gift that must be granted by God, Jesus said of one that believed not on Him Jn 6:64-65

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

The word given is sometimes translated granted, Peter uses the same word to indicate that also our repentance must be granted from Acts 11:18

When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

And when this word is used, it means that God actually causes the action to occur, meaning, when He gives faith or repentance, it causes those actions to occur from the ones its given to !

Hoping

Banned
Faith in Christ is a Gift that must be granted by God, Jesus said of one that believed not on Him Jn 6:64-65

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

The word given is sometimes translated granted, Peter uses the same word to indicate that also our repentance must be granted from Acts 11:18

When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

And when this word is used, it means that God actually causes the action to occur, meaning, when He gives faith or repentance, it causes those actions to occur from the ones its given to !
Doesn't it just amaze you that so many people refuse the free gifts of belief and repentance?
I myself refused them for far too long, but when I realized that nothing else was providing what only God could, I turned to Him in hope He would have mercy on me.

beloved57

Doesn't it just amaze you that so many people refuse the free gifts of belief and repentance?
I myself refused them for far too long, but when I realized that nothing else was providing what only God could, I turned to Him in hope He would have mercy on me.
I I I its all about you. You did better than other people !

Hoping

Banned
I I I its all about you. You did better than other people !
The new "I" is a gift, like belief, repentance, water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins, the Holy Ghost, His words, and a hundred other things are also gifts.
Thanks be to God !!!

beloved57

Faith in Christ is the evidence, corollary of Divine Election

Acts 13:48

48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

Titus 1:1

Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 Thess 2:13

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Eph 1:4; 2:8

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

The Elect are given Faith so they can realize their election !

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Faith in Christ is the evidence, corollary of Divine Election

Acts 13:48

48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

Titus 1:1

Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 Thess 2:13

Eph 1:4; 2:8

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

The Elect are given Faith so they can realize their election !
If this kind of proof-texting where valid, where you start with a doctrine and then go fishing for verses to support it, then David Koresh was a Messiah, just as he claimed to be. He had pretty nearly the entire bible memorized and could proof-text his doctrine all day long and twice on Sundays!

We can know that the Branch Davidians and b57 are both wrong for the same reason. If their doctrine is right, (regardless of proof-texts) then God is unjust.

Here's a clue!

God is NOT unjust!

beloved57

Faith/Believing is given to the Sheep on behalf of Christ in order to believe on Him for Salvation Phil 1:29

29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

This believing given is God giving them assurance [Faith] that Christ did die for them and put away their sins, and He was raised again for their Justification. Acts 17:31

31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

The word assurance is the same greek word pistis for Faith

And the word given is the greek word parechō and means:

to be the authors of, or to cause one to have

So God, those whom Christ died for, for His Sake will causes them to have faith, assurance, and they believe on Him ! Also Christ Himself, who is God, is said to be the Author of the believers Faith Heb 12:2

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

It is God's spiritual work of persuading us that we have
salvation through Christ !

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Faith/Believing is given

No, it's not.

to the Sheep

Members of the Body of Christ are not sheep.

on behalf of Christ in order to believe on Him for Salvation

Faith is the vessel by which grace saves. Explained here:

Phil 1:29

29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Supra.

This believing given

Supra.

is God giving them assurance [Faith] that Christ did die for them and put away their sins,

No, the Holy Spirit is the guarantor of salvation, not faith. Faith is the means through which grace is applied, by which we are saved.

and He was raised again for their Justification. Acts 17:31

31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

The word assurance is the same greek word pistis for Faith.

And the word given is the greek word parechō and means:

to be the authors of, or to cause one to have

Talk about missing the forest for the trees...

There's a reason the word "assurance" was used, and it wasn't because it's talking about our faith in God.

Read the verse again (the following is my paraphrase of the NKJV):

"He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead."

What is the "this" referring to?

JUDGEMENT.

God has given assurance of Jesus judging the world by raising Him from the dead.

That's LITERALLY all it's saying.

It's not saying God gives sinners faith to that they might be saved, its saying that God has guaranteed (so that we can be assured, have faith, or trust) that Jesus will judge the world in righteousness.

In other words, this verse has literally nothing to do with salvation!

Which is what typically happens when you're prooftexting, because you're looking for a specific word or phrase, and then interpreting the resulting verse it's in through your a priori lens of your paradigm of beliefs, RATHER THAN reading the scripture, and drawing its meaning from the context.

My evidence? Read the next verse:

"And when they hear of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked..." (verse 32)

So God, those whom Christ died for,

God (Christ) died for the world.

for His Sake will causes them to have faith, assurance, and they believe on Him!

Supra.

Also Christ Himself, who is God, is said to be the Author of the believers Faith

AMEN!

But that doesn't mean that Christ is the one giving out faith like candy to those whom He arbitrarily chose before the foundation of the world.

It means that our response to the gospel of having faith is the result of the Spirit working in our hearts prior to being saved, and so glory to God when a man believes!

On the other hand, it also means that whenever someone rejects Christ's free gift, it is entirely their own fault, and not God's, when they end up in Hell, because they hardened their hearts against the working of the Holy Spirit within them, which, if they allowed Him to, would result in their faith in Christ.

Heb 12:2

AMEN!

It is God's spiritual work of persuading us that we have salvation through Christ!

Persuasion implies that a person can choose otherwise, which your position completely denies!

@Clete, You have the quote regarding "persuasion" handy, right? From Calvin's Institutes?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
It is God's spiritual work of persuading us that we have salvation through Christ !
Define "persuading"!

The Calvinist has a true psychosis. It is my firm conviction that b57 does not see it when he contradicts his own doctrine practically every time he posts one of these doctrinal proclamations.

How does this "spiritual work of persuasion" fit with either the Calvinist doctrines of absolute predestination, total depravity or their doctrine of irresistible/causeless grace?
The answer is that it doesn' fit at all! There isn't any persuasion! The Calvinist believes that a man is either regenerated or he isn't and that the regenerate man believes because he regenerate and cannot do otherwise. A person doesn't decide to believe! The Calvinist would consider that a meritorious work!

In short, the Calvinist is forced to talk about their doctrine in terms that contradict that very doctrine. They are FORCED to talk about predestination in terms of free will.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
@Clete, You have the quote regarding "persuasion" handy, right? From Calvin's Institutes?
The closest to that specific subject I've got is....

“We hold that God is the disposer and ruler of all things, –that from the remotest eternity, according to his own wisdom, He decreed what he was to do, and now by his power executes what he decreed. Hence we maintain, that by His providence, not heaven and earth and inanimate creatures only, but also the counsels and wills of men are so governed as to move exactly in the course which he has destined.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 16, Paragraph 8)

Is that the one you were thinking of? If not, give me more information and I'll see what I can dig up.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The closest to that specific subject I've got is....

“We hold that God is the disposer and ruler of all things, –that from the remotest eternity, according to his own wisdom, He decreed what he was to do, and now by his power executes what he decreed. Hence we maintain, that by His providence, not heaven and earth and inanimate creatures only, but also the counsels and wills of men are so governed as to move exactly in the course which he has destined.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 16, Paragraph 8)

Is that the one you were thinking of? If not, give me more information and I'll see what I can dig up.

Close enough, I suppose. I thought there was one which says that God doesn't merely something or other, but brings it about by His own will, or something like that...

Which is completely contrary to the idea of persuading someone...